What are you favorite places to Eat at Snowshoe?
15 posts
8 users
2k+ views
TennesseeSkier
March 2, 2006
Member since 01/22/2006 🔗
25 posts
Just wanted to be sure we check out the best spots while on the mountain. Where is the best place for breakfast? Lunch? Dinner? Best place to just grab a burger? Or best place to wash down a few cold ones? Love to hear everyones suggestions......
Rich
March 2, 2006
Member since 11/30/2000 🔗
194 posts
Breakfast: first tracks to The Boat House for Belgian waffle
Lunch: Black Run Sugar House or Arbuckle's
Dinner: FoxFire hands down. Send someone up to put the name in so the others don't have to stand around for the hour...but worth it. Yes, the BackCountry and Red Fox are cool, but I'd do the above on a regular basis.
Bought in The Summit and been every weekend since T-giving - been to every possible place.
snowcone
March 2, 2006
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Another trick for Foxfire, Junction, etc., is to get your order to go. Either call in or go in, and make your order for pick up. It's really nice when you dont want to hassle with long lines, ciggy smoke and jam-packed restaurant. Sit in your condo with good food and relax.
I recommend Foxfire as the best food in the village unless you want a really top knotch dining expereince and then the only place is the Red Fox. Either way, excellent, classy and fun food.
Murphy
March 2, 2006
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
I was there earlier this week and had an excellent dinner at the Foxfire. I had the seared tuna and the wife had the ribs. Both were excellent. Our wait was just barely long enough to do a little window shopping at the ski store next door (it was a Monday though).

We ate at the Bistro as well and it wasn't bad either. Great place to have a drink.

Wish I could say the same for the new Mexican place, Salsa's. I had really been looking forward to a Mexican place at Snowshoe and I'd have to say I was let down. The best I can say about it is they have this giant Margarita that will make you completely forget about the food. Unfortunately you'll be reminded the next day. Let's just say if you want to start another thread about the best toilets to visit at Snowshoe, I could have some thing to add there too .

As far as a quick place to grab something to eat during the day, I wasn't real pleased with my chicken sandwich I got at the base at Silver Creek. Good hot chocolate though and you could watch people wipe out in the terrain park while you eat. There's a bar and grill at the Top of the World near the Widowmaker lift that ain't bad. And heating up a bowl of soup in your room is always an option.
skier219
March 2, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

Just wanted to be sure we check out the best spots while on the mountain. Where is the best place for breakfast? Lunch? Dinner? Best place to just grab a burger? Or best place to wash down a few cold ones? Love to hear everyones suggestions......

For convenience, and to save more time for skiing, eating everything in the condo wins hands down for me. We might venture out once for a dinner if we're there midweek, and the above recommendations are good. We did get some great pizzas and pitchers at Cheat Mtn Pizza a couple years back. We went around 8pm when the wait was not so bad.

On the topic of body harmony, I have learned to be conservative with the kinds of foods I eat while on ski trips. I love Mexican food, but would probably not eat it during a ski trip unless I made it myself or had a prior good experience with the restaurant -- too risky! Whatever you eat, be sure to drink plenty of water during the evening (when you're in the condo and the bathroom is convenient). People tend to get dehydrated when skiing, and that can cause all sorts of problems, especially when you treat your body to pizza and beer (or Mexican and margaritas) at night. I make it my mission to drink as much water as I can after a day of skiing (and I do it the night before the first day too). I really think it helps in a lot of ways. You can also "dilute" the effect of hot/spicy foods by drinking a lot of water, which I have done on ocassion when a meal turned out to be spicier than I expected and I wanted to mitigate the repercussions. It goes a long way towards keeping the plumbing happy.

Water is a skiers friend, just make sure you're near a bathroom when dosing the H2O!

Craig
warren
March 2, 2006
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
I'll echo Craig's comments. We maybe eat out once or twice when we come. I find it much less stressful and more convienent to know there's always an available table back at my condo to go and eat.

-Warren-
snowcone
March 2, 2006
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Forget breakfast ... whatever there is is pretty aweful and expensive ... unless you consider Starbucks as a breakfast option. Eating b-fast in your condo is still the best option.
canaanman
March 2, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
I have several owning friends up at 'Shoe. Atleast one of them is there every weekend, so whatever's in their fridge!

As far as the best relatively priced food, go down to Route 66 Sandwiches at the bottom of the mountain. I'd say Elihus as well, but I believe they're gone.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 2, 2006
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
BREAKFAST: Agree with Canaanman... Elihus was the best place for breakfast in the entire SS area. I remember driving down the 6 miles just to eat there. For less than $8. one got the country breakfast from heaven. Thick slab of ham, three eggs, toast, strong coffee, and I was ready for the next six hours... usually skipped lunch.

One flat comment about Snowshoe which will be easily discerned from my statements: Intrawest is an unparalelled developer and ski resort operator. Unfortunately they stink at food service. And it's not only at Snowshoe, but I experienced the same at Whistler earlier this month. A Snowshoe caveat is that the only good places to eat are the ones that are in private hands. Brian Ball's Red Fox and Foxfire are winners, as well as the Charlotte NC chain that runs the Bistro. Intrawest seems to have caught on to the fact that when it comes to restaurants, they are a giant "vacuum cleaner"... The two new restaurants that will open up at Snowshoe next year are both Brian Ball creations.

Snowcone is also right... Today, the breakfast selection is expensive and scarce most places at Snowshoe. Forget The Junction, it's trademark Snowshoe-run. Reminiscent of an old Soviet labor camp -- same food and about the same service. My Junction comment goes for ANY meal... Then there's the McDonald's "wannabe" at the Shavers Center...

Like Snowcone, I think the best breakfast at the Shoe nowadays is at the condo. I like Rich's idea of the Boathouse's waffles, but I just bought a Kitchen-Aid Pro waffle maker for my condo that, despite the equivalent cost of a one-way air fare to Switzerland, makes the BEST waffles, two gigantic carbo-whole-wheat waffles at a time. My Florida family and many friends broke it in last week, with some of the most succulent Belgian Waffles, Almond, Blueberry, and Strawberry concoctions. It is now a permanent part of my kitchen for either myself, friends or renters.

It is worth noticing that the Bistro has a (weekends only) Brunch with great Eggs Benedict. I've had it several times and it's a wonderful treat.

LUNCH: Three places: First, my condo. I usually bring enough food to satisfy the 82nd Airborne. Plus the condo is on the way between the main Snowshoe bowl and the Western Territory so it makes a nice break. Second, Agree with Rich: Black Run Sugar House. No crowds, no lines, friendly faces. Third, The Fox Fire. Most of the dinner selections at much less cost.

DINNER: Maybe I'm different... but I DO NOT stand in line for any restaurant, period. If they want my $$ they will sit me expeditiously. I will go to any place that either a) makes reservations, or b) gives me a time when I can arrive and be seated. I will generously tip the Maitre D' beforehand if it makes a difference but my personal choice is not to stand in line.

Having said that, my favorites in the Snowshoe area are 1) The Red Fox. Usually reservation only. It feels good to dress up and taste patrician culinary delights once in a while. The Elk is wonderful there, so is the venison as well as any menu selection. It is also good to be recognized by name upon entering a restaurant and be given impeccable service.

2) The Brazen Head Inn. Take the family. Make reservations. It's worth the trip. Six miles away in Mingo, the Brazen Head is both, a culinary pleasure and a Celtic music heaven. It also has some of the best priced and most tastefully decorated rooms in the area. The Inn was hand-built by Will Fanning and his two sons. Besides excellent food that includes Irish favorites such as Irish Coddle and Paddycakes, other delights as Roasted Pork and local-origin Trout may abound. And the music... On weekends, there are Celtic/Bluegrass singers that complete the atmosphere. Were it not for the travel, this would be my No. 1 place in the Snowshoe area.

3) My condo. I make the best paella this side of the Atlantic...
TennesseeSkier
March 3, 2006
Member since 01/22/2006 🔗
25 posts
Thank you everyone for your posts. When we usually visit Snowshoe, we have always stayed in the Whistlepunk condos, and have always brought all of our own food. But since this year, it will only be my GF and I, we decided to try staying in the village, in a JR Studio, which doesnt have a full kitchen. So I guess we will just bring snack food this time.

So with it just being the two of us, and no one else to have to worry about this time, we just decided, what the hell, for once...we will eat out while we are there. And hence the thread Thanks again for all the input.

BTW, calling tomorrow for reservations to the Red Fox Thanks
Murphy
March 3, 2006
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

Thank you everyone for your posts. When we usually visit Snowshoe, we have always stayed in the Whistlepunk condos, and have always brought all of our own food. But since this year, it will only be my GF and I, we decided to try staying in the village, in a JR Studio, which doesnt have a full kitchen. So I guess we will just bring snack food this time.

So with it just being the two of us, and no one else to have to worry about this time, we just decided, what the hell, for once...we will eat out while we are there. And hence the thread Thanks again for all the input.

BTW, calling tomorrow for reservations to the Red Fox Thanks

I stayed at a Junior studio in the Expedition station and was pleasantly surprised with their "kitchen". It had a sink, 2 burner stove, big microwave/convection oven, cutting board, a few pots and pans and plenty of dishes and utensils. More than enough with a little preparations ahead of time. They even had a fold out table to eat on.
Rich
March 3, 2006
Member since 11/30/2000 🔗
194 posts
I don't know about the Red Fox ... the grill pattern on my meat looked awfully much like a Michelin tire tread pattern. LOL

I gotta tell you - any Brian Ball restaurant = excellent service. The norm is empty bars at the Junction & the Bistro while 3 deep at the FoxFire. On a crowed (!) nite, pointed to the counter at the waiters computer and jokingly said "How long for a full steak dinner to appear right here?". He says "... rare = 10 minutes". AND THERE IT WAS packed and ready to take back to the condo!

LOL ... Lbotta doesn't exaggerate - his condo is where Intrawest goes to buy restaurant equipment !!! Mine is where you go to phone for reservations!

The Shoe' has 6(six) more weeks to go. Bet they close with 100% coverage - just no business.
skier219
March 3, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

3) My condo. I make the best paella this side of the Atlantic...

How do I make a reservation for Paella night??
skier219
March 3, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

The Shoe' has 6(six) more weeks to go. Bet they close with 100% coverage - just no business.

Best part of the season if you ask me. We went last April and had the mountain to ourselves. It was amazing compared to the normal crowds. Snow was excellent too, even got a powder dump overnight. I am glad all the ski-tourists lose interest in the sport past early March...
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 3, 2006
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Quote:

How do I make a reservation for Paella night??
--------------------------------------

Any time I'm at the Shoe. Actually (you may gather I'm a gadget freak) I just got a HUGE paella pan sent from Spain. And my family did the first breaking in of the instrument. The worst of the experiment was trying to get saffron. No one has it in West Virginia it seems... The Market at Rt 66 came through and I bought their entire order. One can never have too much saffron. Good for paella, arroz con pollo, and good luck...

If you're at the Shoe let me know. I am here a lot and enjoy having family and friends.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.