10 days til my Utah trip and I need HELP!
7 posts
5 users
1k+ views
queenoftheslopes
March 1, 2006
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
Ok, so I am leaving for SLC on the 11th. I need to rent a car. Probobly going to go with the economy car. Does anyone have experience renting economy cars that would fit two pairs of skis? (i.e with a back seat that folds down?)
tommo
March 1, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Most sub compacts that have a folding rear seat will fit skis fine. I had a Mazda 3 in SLC last month and it held 2 of us and skis no problem. 2 days we had 2 skiers and a boarder with equip without issue. Might have been a bit tight from the airport to the condo with three and luggage though....
kennedy
March 2, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
You may end up with something bigger. When I got there Budget had no cars and I had to wait about 40 minutes for something to come in. I had an economy booked and ended up with a minivan. I have a double upgrade coupon that I ended up not using for Budget. PM your address to me and I can mail it. It's based on availability though so it may or may not be accepted.
queenoftheslopes
March 2, 2006
143 posts
Thanks guys. I just get worried that I would get to the airport to find out that the car that all of our gear would not fit into the car.
TerpSKI
March 2, 2006
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
I rented a PT cruiser at Thrifty at SLC. Look online and book ahead. They won't charge your credit card until you show up.
queenoftheslopes
March 2, 2006
143 posts
I think the PT Cruiser may be out of my price range... I was hoping to spend max $250 for the week. When I looked at the prices for the larger cars, the prices seem to be more than $500... I guess I can go back to researching....
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 2, 2006
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
The areas close to SLC don't really require a car. You can stay down in the 7200 South area very cheaply within 2 blocks walking distance of city bus lines that go to little Cottonwood Canyon (Snowbird and Alta) and Big Cottonwood Canyon (Solitude & Brighton). It costs about $5/day and the buses run every 1/2 hr. or so morning and evening and a bit less often in mid day. The hotels all have schedules. In the evening you can access the city by light rail from the same area. All you have to worry about is a taxi ride at the beginning and end of the trip.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?