Line of the day at Wintergreen
4 posts
3 users
skier219
March 1, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Skied Wintergreen today. It was 40-50F during the day, but the snow held up great. Conditions were excellent in the morning, the snow was a little sticky from 11am-2pm, but then settled down nicely and even firmed up later in the day. I can't remember the last time I had such excellent "spring" skiing. The mountain was pretty empty too, never saw more than a few dozen people around at any time.

There is an excellent line on Wild Turkey and Turkey Chute right now, while it lasts. The bumps on upper Wild Turkey are in great shape, and easy to ski because of the soft spring snow (I haven't ever skied moguls so well). There is a nice snowmaking lip between Wild Turkey and Turkey Chute that can be hopped or hucked for a lot of fun. Right near the top of Turkey Chute, it's about a 10-12 ft drop. I skied this line about 30 times today, and it never got old. The rest of the mountain was great too!

Craig

wgo
March 2, 2006
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Cool graphic - I can visualize exactly the line you are talking about. Wild turkey - turkey chute is a favorite of mine also when there are bumps on wild turkey. Only downside is that wild turkey gets pretty flat after the exit from turkey chute, so it's more or less a run out until you get to the lift. I have found that if I can get enough speed out of turkey chute I can hit hydraulic and make it to lower cliffhanger without too much poling...

Am thinking of hitting WTG this saturday. Do you think it is late enough in the season that the crowds will have thinned, or will the Johnny Mosley poster signing enough to counteract this?
skier219
March 2, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

Am thinking of hitting WTG this saturday. Do you think it is late enough in the season that the crowds will have thinned, or will the Johnny Mosley poster signing enough to counteract this?

Hard to say, I have never skied there on a weekend, even late season. Though the way this season has been weatherwise, many skiers are counting on March as a solid month -- I know I am. It will be less of a "late" season and more of a "catch-up" season for me. So I would not be surprised if March crowds stayed strong, at least in the early part of the month...
SkiBumMSP
March 3, 2006
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

There is an excellent line on Wild Turkey and Turkey Chute right now, while it lasts. The bumps on upper Wild Turkey are in great shape, and easy to ski because of the soft spring snow (I haven't ever skied moguls so well). There is a nice snowmaking lip between Wild Turkey and Turkey Chute that can be hopped or hucked for a lot of fun. Right near the top of Turkey Chute, it's about a 10-12 ft drop. I skied this line about 30 times today, and it never got old. The rest of the mountain was great too!

Craig

I was skiing the same line myself yesterday. The problem was that there was some nasty barespots that were forming below that huck, so you had to jam the edges in and turn hard after sticking the landing, less you wanted to eat some dirt the hard way.

Also to add: Due to the barespots forming below that, there were numerous times I stayed on the upper side of that line. As a result, it was sweet to rip some turns down that steep part as you approach the merge of Outer Limits and Wild Turkey (and also get enough speed to make the cut-across to lower Cliffhanger, if so desired, which I've also done a few times).

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?