1-3" for the Laurel Highlands today and tonight, major storm possible late this week
9 posts
6 users
1k+ views
danwxman
December 1, 2003
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
58 posts
An arctic front will drop across the Mid-Atlantic today firing up some good old-fashioned lake-effect. Places like Seven Springs, Hidden Valley, and Blue Knob should get 2-3", with Wisp getting about an inch. Unlike Friday's snow event, this one will stay on the ground all week rather than melt off.

Also, anybody heard about the BIG storm possible later this week? The potential is there for some major high elevation snows, just in time for opening weekend at many resorts.

(Anonymous)
December 1, 2003
The Nat Weather Service is predicting 'localized' amounts of 1-2" for Somerset County, PA for tonight (home to 7Springs/Hidden Valley/Laurel MT); and about an inch for Garrett, Co, MD (Wisp).

For later in the week the NWS is predicting snow or rain and highs in the upper 30's/low 40's. From what source did you hear the prediction of a 'Big' storm?
I hope that you're right, I just haven't heard that prediction as of yet....

snowcone
December 1, 2003
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Also check out : http://207.198.116.233/meteopage.html ..
base site: http://www.wxrisk.com/

Once you wend your way thru all the mystical weather incantations its appears that something might be happening around Dec 5-7. Wishful thinking .. or maybe I am just getting nostalgic for the marvelous snows of last year?

On the serious side, this guy seems to get winter weather right more often than not. Last year he was dead on for our big snows when other forecasters were hemming and hawing. We trusted his calls and had the great good "misfortune" to be snowbound at Snowshoe during one of the record dumps; he had called it a good 10 days out. There is something deeply satisfying in calling into work saying you are stuck in WV (we didn't mention the ski resort part) when the rest of the Beltway is trying to dig out of the front door.

[This message has been edited by snowcone (edited 12-01-2003).]

(Anonymous)
December 1, 2003
Interesting site.....I didn't understand much of the technical stuff, but it does appear that 'something' might be brewing for Dec 4-5.

Oddly enough, I don't think any of the local DC TV weather guys have jumped on the possibility of a big storm this week....they never seem shy about creating the kind of hysteria that clears the grocery store shelves of milk and toilet paper.

Let's hope that if it is a coastal storm it stays far enough East to dump on the WV/MD/PA highlands....

jimc
December 1, 2003
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
16 posts
yeah - there will be some snow in the mountains this weekend - maybe mixed with a little ice/rain depending on elevation - too early to tell accumulations - ill go with a 4-8 depending on elevation/mix
danwxman
December 1, 2003
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
58 posts
I'm not going to make any calls on accumulations....It's too early and there's still way too many outcomes. It could come up the coast and stall in the Mid-Atlantic literally just dumping on the Apps (eastern Apps too, just just Alleghenies)...Other model solutions are warmer and with more a synoptic snow event, still meaning possibly major upslope snows but for the Alleghenies only. Either way DC=Rain LOL. Good thing we don't ski down I-95.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 2, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,991 posts
Skiing Weatherman alluded to the possibility of a STORM in his 11-28 post:

"Late next week, I can see the southwest ridge poking northward just enough to send a short wave a little further southward as it heads from the Canadian Prairies into the US. On that sort of trajectory, the short wave could deepen to a greater extent as it arrives in the east, and we could end up with our first threat of a coastal storm. That's at least a week away, but I can see the dominoes falling that way...maybe it's wishful thinking, but I'll take another look at that on Tuesday, when I will post again."

His next update is tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what he says.

http://www.skiingweatherman.com/weather.php

Chad
December 4, 2003
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
this wxrisk.com guy is a genious! the national weather service estimates just keep moving up. approaching what wxrisk.com has been predicting since last week. nws now says 2-4 inches tonight where i live in prince william, then another inch or two tomorrow.
(Anonymous)
December 4, 2003
Yup, the NWS is coming around:

MDZ001-PAZ030-032-WVZ023-041-061700-
FAYETTE PA-GARRETT MD-PRESTON WV-TUCKER WV-WESTMORELAND PA-
419 PM EST THU DEC 4 2003

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 4 AM
SATURDAY...

TONIGHT...SNOW WILL DEVELOP TOWARD MIDNIGHT AND MIX WITH SLEET. SNOW
SHOULD ACCUMULATE 1 TO 3 INCHES, WITH THE GREATEST AMOUNTS ALONG THE
RIDGE TOPS. A SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATION OF ICE IS ALSO POSSIBLE.

FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT...SNOW WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES BEFORE ENDING
EARLY SATURDAY MORNING. WE EXPECT A TOTAL ACCUMULATION OF 8 TO 14
INCHES IN GARRETT, PRESTON, AND TUCKER COUNTIES, AND A TOTAL OF 5 TO
10 INCHES IN WESTMORELAND AND FAYETTE COUNTIES. THE GREATEST AMOUNTS
WILL FALL ON THE MOUNTAIN RIDGES.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.