Wachusett Mt, MA
3 posts
3 users
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
February 26, 2006
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
My brother e-mailed me this report of his trip to Wachusett Mt today. For those who have business in the Boston area, this is a great place to bolt out to for a few runs midweek. It's Boston's Whitetail--nothing close comes close.

Quote:

I took Grace [his young daughter] to Wachusett today and we had a blast! I must say-for a mountain only 45 mins from my house, I was well impressed by Wachusett. The summit is 2006' which gives you a pretty good run. High speed quads to get you up, and a nice base lodge and weekday tix only $36. I think I'm going to sneek myself up there sometime midweek without Grace. Great conditions now after Saturday's storm.

Base Elevation: 990 ft (302 m)
Summit Elevation: 2,006 ft (611 m)
Vertical Drop: 1,000 ft (305 m)
Skiable Area: 105 acres (43 hectares)
Annual Snowfall: 100 in (254 cm)
Snowmaking: 100 %
Number of Lifts: 8
Uphill Lift Capacity: 6,000 per hour
Types of Lifts: 1 Rope Tow
2 Triple Chair
2 HiSpeed Quad
3 Magic Carpet
Number of Trails: 22
Longest Run: 7,050 ft (2,149 m)
comprex
February 26, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Roger Z
February 26, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
That was the one and only ski area I ever worked at! One of the neat things that Wachusett did back in the late 90s (don't know if they still do it or not) was use their groomers to create a mogul field. The field was pretty much perfectly shaped- almost too perfectly shaped. But it was a GREAT place to learn how to ski tight moguls. I've often wondered why other ski areas didn't do things like that.

Bit of trivia: the owners of Wachusett Mountain are also the owners of a local soda company in Worcester. The soday company had for decades a giant inflatable polar bear named Orson sitting on the top of the factor- Orson the polar bear was their mascot. When Coca Cola began using their own polar bear in the mid-90s (yes, it's been that long), they turned around and sued the Worcester company for copyright infringement! Thankfully, the local soda company won and Orson still hovers over poor old dilapidated Worcester.

Orson was also popular for the local college boys from Holy Cross to pilfer for party weekends, but now we're getting WAY off subject...
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?