First trip to Snowshoe in Mid-March!
9 posts
8 users
1k+ views
RiverHill
February 24, 2006
Member since 01/16/2005 🔗
28 posts
I am taking my first trip to Snowshoe in Mid-March. I have yet to book a place as I am guessing there will be many places to choose from, as we are planning a mid-week trip. I will be taking my wife, my son who is 9 and my daughter who is 8. I don't know if Snowshoe has any slopside lodging or places where I can stay and not drive, but I am intrested in arriving and not starting my car until I leave. I am looking for some suggestions. I will be needing some eating options as well, that my wife and I can enjoy a nice cold beer and atmosphere, but we are still able to have the kids with us. Any other tips or suggestions would be great. I am choosing Mid-March as I have read and heard the the crwods can be bad during the main season and I am not one for the crowds. I have been lucky this season to make many trips to Roundtop and Liberty during the mid-week.
warren
February 24, 2006
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
River,
Well, there are a LARGE number of lodging options on top of the mountain. Where to stay somewhat depends on your budget. There are townhome style condos that are slope-side (Tree-Top, Powdermonkey, Shamrock, Powderidge, etc). Also, there are many condo offerings with Top of the World being the cheapest probably followed by Mountain Lodge (noisy but VERY convenient). The nicest condo style lodging would be Allegheny Springs with Rimfire and Highland house right there as well. I believe that Snowcone on here usually stays in Rimfire where I usually say at the Treetop complex. The food selections are somewhat limited but shouldn't be too crowded given you're coming mid-week and in mid-March. I really like the Foxfire grill in the middle of the village. It's very casual, with some really good BBQ and decent beers as well. Check out the Snowshoe web-site for lodging and dining descriptions.

-Warren-
tommo
February 24, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
Your family should have a GREAT time! Snowshoe midweek is terrific, both for skiing as well as the other amenities. Your kids will especially love Split Rock pools. (Actually, you and the spouse will probably really like it as well.)

If you stay in one of the Intrawest properties in the main village, you'll be able to park the car and not start it again. Alleghany Springs, Highland House or Seneca are all very nice. You can walk to all of the resturants from any of these, and the slopes are right out the door. I would recommend, though, that you bring some food and supplies from home. Once you are up on top, there's no grocery store (just a small "provisions" store) so drinks, coffee, milk and so forth are expensive or hard to get.

Have a great time
warren
February 24, 2006
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
River,
I will re-iterate Tim's suggestion about the food. We always buy our groceries locally and haul them up with us. I saw some of our neighbors the last time we were there doing ALL of their food shopping at the Wildcat Provisions store. Wildcat is great for one or two things (milk if you run out, something you forgot, etc), but would quickly be VERY expensive to buy all your food. It's nice to eat out but it's also nice to have to option to simply lounge in your unit and eat on your schedule (especially for breakfast!).

-Warren-
gizmosnow
February 24, 2006
Member since 10/6/2005 🔗
269 posts
My wife and I stayed in Highland House mid-week, mid-March last year and had a great time. After arrival, didn't go back to car until time to leave. Plenty to stay busy in village center right outside front entrance. (slopes are right outside back entrance). Bringing your own snacks and beverages is an excellent recommendation !
Going back first week in March - this time with my (older) kids - and staying in Rimfire (similar to Highland House in all respects). When you make your reservations, be sure to inquire re: options. I was able to get two efficiencies (which works out for me since my kids are older) and save about $600 over the price of one two-bedroom!. Also, when I booked, the package deal included lift tickets for second day and day of departure. When I called back to request tickets for day of arrival instead of day of departure, they told me that since I was arriving early enough to ski they could give me the third day complimentary -- BUT YOU HAVE TO ASK.
Also, you only have 24-hrs to cancel or downgrade so be sure of your plans. I only booked 2 nights upfront - if we decide to stay 3 I'll do an add-on (slightly risky but I don't think they will sell out in mid-week march.)
Overall, if the weather is good, you'll find mid-week, mid-march an excellent time for snowshoe -- neither the slopes, nor the restaurants/shops will be overly crowded, the shops will have merchandise/souveniers deeply discounted. You may run into a few spring-breakers but for the most part you'll find ss quite and relaxing that time.
anyway, that was my experience last year --- have fun!
snowcone
February 24, 2006
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Snowcone here ...

I recommend Rimfire for a couple of reasons:
-- indoor parking .. park, unload inside, and forget your car until time to go home .. believe me its worth it not to have to haul stuff around in the cold.
-- convenient to all village eateries - I also highly recommend Foxfire Grill .. great food and good drinks.
-- Starbucks is right downstairs if you are inclined
-- western view condos are -very- romantic ... plunk the kids down in front of the boob-tube in one of the bedrooms and have a nuzzle and a drink with your honey while watching the sunset.

You also might want to ...
-- bring some food along ... breakfast in your room is a good and inexpensive way to get the morning started ... and don't forget the kids favorite snacks with 2 hungry kids eating out for every meal can get prohibitively expensive.
-- Seneca is the only other condo with indoor parking but the rates are platinum level which means cha-ching!
-- if you opt for Highland House get a slope view condo .. view there is early morning when the sun rises .. nice to drink your coffee to and plan the day..
-- get some lessons .. the ski school is definitely decent .. if you have the bucks get private lessons, its amazing the bad habits we all fall into.

Above all ...
Have fun!
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 24, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Great choice!!!and great time to go, usually. Should be plenty of snow on the slopes. I suggest you stay in the Village. I have done samae on numerous occassions and always enjoyed it...but it can get windy...after all you are on top of one of the highest peaks in WV and the MidAtlantic. Kids will especially enjoy eating at the Pizza Restaurant and the ambience of The Junction restaurant (lots of parts from logging trains, pictures of same, etc.) helps entertain them. If you are there in mid-March then the tubing and slopes at the Silvercreek area will also be open. If you stay at Allegheny Springs, there is an outdoor pool and hottub associated wtih this Lodge as well as using the Split Rocks pool complex just next door. There are all sorts of specials in March, so be sure to inquire. Some weeks the lift tickets are free, most of March the lodging and tickets are reduced. Be sure to inquire about packages...for example...I am staying at Allegheny Springs this weekend and early next week in a studio (room for a friendly 4 with bed and couch) but the cost of lift tickets for the four days for two packaged with the room is less than $100 more than the cost of the room without any tickets. This year there is something new call the BIG TOP which is near the Shaver Center at the Village and has all sorts of fun thing for the kids and family to do. If you are lucky and get a snowstorm while there you can snowshoe, go for a horse drawn sleigh ride, etc. Frankly, underground parding is not that big a deal to me, since you can park at the lot at Allegheny Spring, even use valet parking, and if you are not going to need the car what difference does it make. By the way, frequently all the undercover parking at Rimfire is full and you have to part outside anyway.
And lastly, the newest lodging in the Village, Expedition Station just opened and I think it is a lettle less expensive than the other Village lodges. And I guess that you have surmised that the Village is a walking pedestrian mall. One nice thing about Allegheny Springs lodge is that it has check-in at the desk in the Lodge and you do not have to go elsewhere to check in, get Concierge services, front desk services, etc. And there is a wonderful huge room off the lobby with plenty of soft chairs, sofas, computer, etc. for all the guest to use. And there is a restaurant in the building, albeit a bit expensive. By the way, there is a 4 Star restaurant within walking distance of the Village - the RED FOX - that has unbelievable food and menu. You won't see it listed in Snowshoe materials as it is privately owned and operated.
I would also suggest you not stay at Silver Creek Lodge due to a lack of restaurants, etc. You can always ski and tube there, taking the on-mountain bus service from the Village.
If I can be of more help...give me a holler.
Enjoy,
The Colonel
TennesseeSkier
February 25, 2006
Member since 01/22/2006 🔗
25 posts
EXCELLENT POSTS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!! We are headed to the 'Shoe in Mid March as well. After reading all the posts, we are dying to get there. (Only 2 weeks to go ), Anyways, we chose Allegheny Springs, mostly because we will be arriving first thing in the morning, and we will be able to skip the welcome center..or top of the world, and check in directly there at the front desk. From what I understand, most of the high end condos there in the village, have high speed internet, and most have WI-FI access. I know Allegheny Springs does, (and Rimfire), because I called the front desk to ask. Next time around, we will try Rimfire. As far as I know..the only real difference is Alleghney Springs' rooms are just a bit bigger than Rimfire. And although Rimfire does have underground parking, I have to agree with The Colonel's point, that it does quite often become full. Although in Mid-week in March, that shouldn't be a problem.

To sum it up, bascially, you can't go wrong with Snowshoe in Mid-March, ESPECIALLY mid week. Great snow, great DISCOUNTS, and much less crowded. Cant wait to get there ourselves
skier219
February 25, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

I am taking my first trip to Snowshoe in Mid-March. I have yet to book a place as I am guessing there will be many places to choose from, as we are planning a mid-week trip. I will be taking my wife, my son who is 9 and my daughter who is 8. I don't know if Snowshoe has any slopside lodging or places where I can stay and not drive, but I am intrested in arriving and not starting my car until I leave. I am looking for some suggestions. I will be needing some eating options as well, that my wife and I can enjoy a nice cold beer and atmosphere, but we are still able to have the kids with us. Any other tips or suggestions would be great. I am choosing Mid-March as I have read and heard the the crwods can be bad during the main season and I am not one for the crowds. I have been lucky this season to make many trips to Roundtop and Liberty during the mid-week.

Definitely plan to pack/cook most meals in your condo -- it's more convenient in my opinion (and a lot more cost-effective). We have stayed in about 5-6 condos over the years. My favorites are Powder Monkey and Powder Ridge, both slopeside. Powder Monkey is a short walk from the Village, if that is important to you, while Powder Ridge is farther away but a little more isolated. Other nice slopeside units are Whistlepunk, Logger's Run, Camp-4, and Stemwinder.

I actually prefer individual townhouse-condos rather than the hotel-style condos mentioned by others. I like having my car in a parking lot right near the front door, and for that matter, I like being able to step out the front door and be right outside only a few steps away from the fresh air and snow. When we have stayed in hotel-style condos, I found it inconvenient to schlep everything inside, and also dress up in ski clothes then trek through elevators, hallways, etc... just to get back outside.

Craig

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.