Anyone going to Snowshoe this coming wkend?
7 posts
6 users
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 21, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I'll be skiing the Shoe from the 25th through the 28? Any fellow DCSkiers going to be there at this time?
The Colonel
TOMF
February 21, 2006
Member since 11/17/2003 🔗
60 posts
Colonel, my wife and I will be at SS this weekend. How 'bout we meet outside Arbuckles at 11 on Saturday and make a few runs together on Cupp and Shay's?

Tom
TennesseeSkier
February 21, 2006
Member since 01/22/2006 🔗
25 posts
Sorry Colonel,

We wont be there til Mar 10-12. Let me know if anyone will be there during that weekend. Have a great time Colonel, and make a couple of turns for us.
Rich
February 21, 2006
Member since 11/30/2000 🔗
194 posts
Last week Lower Shays had +20" of fresh powder. Very challenging; if you hit a "bump" head on you'd explode through it, not ride over it 'cause I sank down 6 inches. And hit it sideways from the top, you'd just compress (into a laying-on-your-side LOL) position. This past weekend it was a total groomer (they do way too much of that this year) and total Michele Kwan ice. Monday it was Vanila-Ice cubes.
How would we recognize anyone @Arbucks' ... 11:00ish ?
skier219
February 21, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I might be up for a day trip if the snow is good.
skier219
February 21, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

Last week Lower Shays had +20" of fresh powder. Very challenging; if you hit a "bump" head on you'd explode through it, not ride over it 'cause I sank down 6 inches. And hit it sideways from the top, you'd just compress (into a laying-on-your-side LOL) position. This past weekend it was a total groomer (they do way too much of that this year) and total Michele Kwan ice. Monday it was Vanila-Ice cubes.
How would we recognize anyone @Arbucks' ... 11:00ish ?

I remember that snow on Shays when we were there too. They weren't really moguls, just large piles of crud spaced out by hard ice. I find it nearly impossible to have fun skiing that stuff -- at best I can get 3-4 good turns in sequence before sideslipping and re-setting my line. If they had real bumps, that would be OK. For Shays, I'll take grooming anytime, at least I can actually "ski" on it.
warren
February 21, 2006
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Skier,
Your description of Lower Shays is exactly what I had last weekend. My last run down it, it was so boiler-plate, I just ended up staying on top of my skis as I ran down the hill (50+ mph ) until I could find some hard-packed, actually carvable snow further down the slope.

-Warren-

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.