Snowshoe 2/18 and 2/19
4 posts
4 users
TOMF
February 20, 2006
Member since 11/17/2003 🔗
60 posts
My family skied at Snowshoe this weekend and had a great time. With light snow falling, conditions were good on Saturday. On Sunday conditions were outstanding--the trails were very well groomed and temps were in the single digits. My wife and son and I hit the trails when the ropes dropped and made half-a-dozen runs off the Ballhooter lift during the first hour. The Ballhooter and Grabhammer trails were very smooth and fast. When the Ballhooter lift line started to get long around 10 AM we split for the Western Territory and skied there 'till 3. Shay's and Cupp were both very nicely groomed--the steep part of lower Cupp was a pleasure to ski as was lower Shays. Those trails didn't seem especially crowded. Occasionally we did have to wait a few minutes to catch the Western Express lift (generally after brief stoppages). Grooming on lower Shay's converted it from a double black to a single black (IMHO), for better or worse.

Tom
skier219
February 20, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Tom, thanks for the report.

I kind of like it when they groom lower Shays, since I can carve down it at full speed. It's pretty exciting to fast-carve hard snow on a trail that steep -- not many places you can do that outside of a wind-packed glacier in a Warren Miller film. That actually makes it more challenging/rewarding to ski for me than the usual ice and piles of snow!

Craig
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 20, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I wish Snowshoe would groom about 1/3 the width of the Shay trail for cruisers, especially older ones with a body that no longer can take the moguls pounding.
The Colonel
TennesseeSkier
February 21, 2006
Member since 01/22/2006 🔗
25 posts
TOMF, glad to hear you and your family had a great visit to the 'Shoe. We are looking forward to our trip there Mar 10-12. Hopefully the cold temps and snow weather will stick around for a couple of more weeks. I know March is usually a great month for snow at the 'Shoe. Glad to hear you all had a great time !!!!!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?