Should I buy Boots?
10 posts
6 users
1k+ views
TennesseeSkier
February 19, 2006
Member since 01/22/2006 🔗
25 posts
Hey all. Need your help here. Since I am from the great state of Tennessee, and dont get to ski but maybe 6 or 7 days a year, should I invest in ski boots? I dont have my own equipment, and just wondering if I should continue to rent boots, or go ahead and at least buy some boots, and be more comfortable? Can anyone give me some advice on this? And if so, what would be a good entry level boot, that has good features, yet a good price as well. Thanks for your help.
skier219
February 19, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Boots are the most important piece of equipment. I buy new skis every couple years to try out the latest and greatest, but when I have a good boot, I keep it until it literally wears out (currently on 1997 Salomon boots that are still perfect for me). So definitely get your own good boots if you want to improve your skiing experience (especially since most rental boots really suck).

You really need to try on different boots and take price/fit into account to find what suits you and your budget. Offhand, I would recommend looking at the Salomon Performa and Ellipse models. They are very good boots for intermediates, and will also support you as you become advanced.

Good luck!
Roy
February 20, 2006
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
I concur. I have friends that ski with me every year but they live in Florida and Georgia. They rent skis each season but have their own boots. Rental boots can severly hurt a ski trip because they will never fit properly (not to mention the fungus they have). When's the last time you saw a rental boot person spray the boots like they do at the bowling alley?
TennesseeSkier
February 20, 2006
25 posts
Thanks Skier and Roy for the replies. I do think I will look for some boots. We dont have a lot of ski shops here around us in Tennessee, but I would like to find a shop that has a good boot fitter. I am going to Snowshoe in March, and just thought about demoing some boots..and then buying them there, but afraid I wont get a good price. Buy before I go? or buy them there?

Any thoughts on that idea?
skier219
February 20, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
You can find deals at SS towards the end of the season (or anytime on last season's gear). But it's hard to say if they will have the right boots in the right size for the right price. I guess you can try hitting as many shops as possible up until your trip, and then try SS as a last shot.

If you have a rough idea of the boot/size you want, also look at www.untracked.com.
kwillg6
February 20, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
You may want to check with the folks at the Ski Barn. I don't know who works there anymore, but they generally have a decent selection and the equipment should be on sale by then. The shoe has several shops but can be overpriced. For a good boot you're going to pay $300 + -. For an upper end boot it will cost more. You can buy lower end boot for under $200 but remember, you get what you pay for.
TennesseeSkier
February 21, 2006
25 posts
Thanks Skier and Kwilg for the info. I have been looking online at some boots, and have a couple of models in mind right now. But just want to see whats out there, and what feels good. Right now, I have budgeted about 300-400 for my boots. I feel that I should be able to get a good quality boot in that price range. Thanks again for all of your help.
skier219
February 21, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
You can do really well for $300-400.
warren
February 21, 2006
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
I will echo that feeling. I'm an Advanced level skier. I bought a pair of all-mountain Nordica boots (on sale) for about $330.00 that are great for me

-Warren-
ltbluek2
February 21, 2006
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
12 posts
Boots make such a difference. My husband just skiied with his new pair this past weekend, and IMHO - he has stepped up his game completley. He was a different (better) skier!

$300-400 will def. get you a good pair. I just recently bought of Technica's, hubbie bought Head's. Both great.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.