Whitetail 2-18 need weather help
8 posts
4 users
1k+ views
kennedy
February 17, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Will it snow? Will it rain? will it be insanely busy? which day will it be insanely busy?

It's been a long time since I've gone to WT on a holiday weekend so I'm having amnesia about the crowds. Which day is busies Saturday or Sunday? Either way I'll be hitting first chair.

I'm torn between NOAA's report of no snow and just cold weather and Weather.com's (I know I know) report of snow starting tonight at midnight and snowing pretty much all day tomorrow. Help me for the love of Ullr. I just had my base ground, waxed and edges sharpened for Utah next week and I don't want to run ubercrud. Someone tell me what to do.
skier219
February 17, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Here's the point forecast (based on lat/lon) for Whitetail, as of 11am Friday Feb 17:

This is from the NWS forecast database. It should be more accurate than the typical zone forecasts the NWS posts online.
tomimcmillar
February 17, 2006
Member since 11/21/2004 🔗
129 posts
Quote:

Will it snow? Will it rain? will it be insanely busy? which day will it be insanely busy?

It's been a long time since I've gone to WT on a holiday weekend so I'm having amnesia about the crowds. Which day is busies Saturday or Sunday? Either way I'll be hitting first chair.

I'm torn between NOAA's report of no snow and just cold weather and Weather.com's (I know I know) report of snow starting tonight at midnight and snowing pretty much all day tomorrow. Help me for the love of Ullr. I just had my base ground, waxed and edges sharpened for Utah next week and I don't want to run ubercrud. Someone tell me what to do.

uhhhhh, you got your edges sharpened....

for Utah???????

WHY??????

kennedy
February 17, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Because hacksaw like edges don't do anyone any favors and besides since they're grinding the base they may aswell do the whole thing. Anyways sometimes I just like to use them to cut cheese, I think it's a novel idea and it's popular at parties.
ltbluek2
February 19, 2006
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
12 posts
Curious as to the outcome you found with the crowds... let us know...

I've always wondered how weekends & esp. holidays are...
kennedy
February 20, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I went up first thing Sunday morning with my buddy and hit Angel drop top to bottom first. Conditions on Angel Drop were pretty nice but variable with areas of thick soft snow beside patches of scraped off surface. It made for a very fast surface but control was touchy especially as it got busier. We did about three runs on that side of the mountain hitting snowdancer which was not really icy but very hard and rock like. Limelight was very nice too and made for a great bomber run. After that we decied to hit the expert side. Drop in was awesome and laying carves on felt very sweet. At the top we first hit Far Side, one of my favourite WT trails, and it was superb. They were blowing snow on it hard all day so the neck gaiter was getting a lot of use. Condtions were soft and thick but really fast. My buddy was breaking in his new Rossi B2s before we hit Utah Wednesday. He's been boarding for the past three seasons so this is his big return to skiing and after 2-3 runs he was tearing it up we me right on his heels. To clarify this guy is one of the fastest skiers I have seen really just unbelievable. Bold Decision wasn't bad but the light meant I couldn't read the terrain how I'd like so I stayed clear the rest of the day.

Crowds wise it was busy from the get go but turned zooish by about noon. The expert side was the place to be with very short lift lines. At one point the lift broke down for about 10 minutes so it backed up a bit but it quickly dissapated.

I guys for holiday weekends. Go early and stay on the expert side otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.
tomimcmillar
February 20, 2006
Member since 11/21/2004 🔗
129 posts
Quote:

.....I guys for holiday weekends. Go early and stay on the expert side otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.

ding ding ding.
We have a winner!

It also helps to ride solo, that really cuts down on the wait. I was there for the 8:30 start, hit one run down Limelight, maybe it was two, before heading to the expert quad. Only other time I went up the high speed quad was after my Red Bull break at around 11:30, and there I used the singles line to cut down the wait. Saw some dude in line with a newish pair of B2's, maybe that was ya'll? I was in a yellow jacket, black helmet beating myself into submission, tele style in the bumps most of the day. Soft snow on Farside was definitely money, if you didn't mind the guns, probably the most fun I've had on that trail ever. I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the crowd, had expectations for the worse. It was a damn good day of skiing considering the holiday and all.
kennedy
February 20, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
First chair is my MO for WT. Might have been us you saw, my buddy is a smaller guy, had a grey and black jacket. I'm pretty tall, green jacket with a red stripe and a black helmet.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?