Whitetail tom.-2/17- rain overnight-should I go?
5 posts
4 users
ltbluek2
February 16, 2006
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
12 posts
It is supposed to rain from tonight at midnight until ~ 8am tom. morning. We were planning to go to Whitetail tom. (2/17) to avoid the weekend crowds. And, for the life of me - I cannot remember what rain does to the conditions. Will they be OK, or terrible, or in between?
Any help is much appreciated!
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 16, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Nobody likes to ski in an active rainstorm. As long as it's supposed to clear up by the time of your visit and temps are well above freezing, a bunch of recent rain shouldn't ruin skiing fun. The surface will be like spring skiing, a little slushy, but better than ice. And you'll beat weekend crowds. What can be interesting is when a rainy period is followed by a deep below-freezing temperature drop like what might happen on Saturday morning. This can create unpleasant hard-pack or ice. But even the radical temp drop scenario isn't too disastrous in this age of great snowmaking, because the ski areas often can make lots of new snow to quickly cover the frozen surface underneath.
KevR
February 16, 2006
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
I was just there yesterday, they got a lot of snow on the trails. Folks there seemed to uniformally say that they were intent on making snow this weekend during the cold snap. If you could push it till monday, that might be better -- on the hand spring-like skiing is fun too. We had a heck of time yesterday, see about some wet-snow wax if you can find any.
something you can carry in your packet and apply a couple times during the day.
twin58
February 17, 2006
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
Quote:

I cannot remember what rain does to the conditions.

Rain plus snow = mashed potatos. Rain on chair lift = wet seat, which is truly dismal. OTOH, WT hands out lovely plastic trash bags that you can wear over your parka or Hawai'ian shirt, whichever is more appropriate in the current heat wave. Note the PC apostrophe in "Hawai'i."

Freeze the panda.
ltbluek2
February 19, 2006
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
12 posts
Just wanted to report in - wasn't too bad on Friday - didn't rain a drop - but boy was it windy. By mid-afternoon the sun caused slush, which by the time I was done after 8 hurs. - no wax left. Good day skiing overall though

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.