Waaahooo Snowboard questions
7 posts
4 users
1k+ views
freshair1
February 13, 2006
Member since 01/25/2006 🔗
18 posts
Earth bound from WinterPark Co heaven where I just completed 3 days of snowboarding lessons. Helluva great time!! Rump tenderized with some shoulder and neck aches I'm ready to roll out this weekend here in the east. It was a privilege to learn at WP and I hope to make it back before the season dries out, but in the interim since I'm heading north from Raleigh NC to PA I want to make a side trip for a couple days <Friday/Saturday> to continue to learn to board. I've been thinking Timberline, but am concerned with crowd mauling during this up coming holiday weekend. I'm willing to deviate from my route by a 250 miles.

Quick note: I've realized I'm a snail when it comes to learning to board. After one full day <energy wipe out> and 2 half days of instructions I am linking turns 75% of the time without bellying up. I'm not sure if I need to take more instruction for my next several snow days or just practice what I've learned so far. Either way I'm looking for great beginner runs and snow.

All suggestions welcome.
joanna
RidelikeaRhino
February 13, 2006
Member since 01/31/2006 🔗
42 posts
Eastern PA or Western PA?
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 13, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
There are a lot of choices in PA as the other poster implied. But since you mentioned Timberline, that would be a fine place to hit on Fri. You could follow it up with Saturday at nearby Canaan Valley, which tends to get slightly lighter weekend crowds. Both areas have one or two long (approx 1.5 to 2 miles) easy green circle runs from their summits, real nice for ambitious newbies.
In general, everywhere will not be too crowded on Fri. Most everywhere will be busy to super busy on Sat-Mon of this holiday weekend, esp since all will have the psychologically strong draw of recent new natural snow throughout the region working for them.
freshair1
February 13, 2006
Member since 01/25/2006 🔗
18 posts
North Western PA <Erie/Pittsburgh> areas.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
February 13, 2006
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Timberline and CV have the longest beginner runs in the region. Slow lifts (sigh) keep slope crowding to a minimum at both venues. I concur with the idea of riding CV on Sat. and T-line on Sun. and Mon. Also, as you gain more confidence over the weekend, you can move up to Twister--a long, relatively gentle blue trail at Timberline. Timberline, in short, has a nice range of slopes for every ability level.
RidelikeaRhino
February 13, 2006
Member since 01/31/2006 🔗
42 posts
Depending on where in NC you start and assuming you are just looking for time on the board... Timberline and Canaan are farther east on Rt 32 through WV. Snowshoe is along Rt 33 with quicker access to Rt 79. All of these resorts will be busy over the weekend. My guess is that Canaan will be best for low crowds. Snoeshoe is high profile but two areas of good skiing. Timberline will be doing the boy scout thing so there could be long lines at the cafeteria. The lifts should be OK but Tlines lifts are sort of slow. (find out the scout schedule and then show up off peak for them). Upstairs eating is usually clear. If you come through Canaan you could hit Wisp , 7 springs, Blue Knob or HV. If you are moving along 79 to Erie you could take advantage of I90 and hit Peak n' Peak, Holiday Valley, or Holleymont (Holleymont is private on the weekends, maybe fri only) Peak and Peak has a huge pipe but the overall terrain is pretty gentile. A little out of the way but could be made to work is ski Denton. Small place but great for the really out in the country feel. I heard they have new owners. You have other options if you travel up the east coast route. Check out the resort descriptons on the home page here. If it were me... Snoeshoe or Canaan, then north to Holiday Valley
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 13, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Quote:

North Western PA <Erie/Pittsburgh> areas.

Interesting, two best places up that way are Holiday Valley, NY about 90 mins east of Erie and Seven Springs about 60 mins east of Pittsburgh. Both not so huge vertically, but quite extensive in a horizontal sense with lots of lifts strung along long hillsides. Good towns/base areas too for apres ski. Odds are they will be quite busy Sat thru Mon though.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.