SNOW!!!!!!!!!!TOTALS?
42 posts
22 users
8k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 12, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
10+ inches here in West Springfield in Fairfax.
Yea....The Colonel
Murphy
February 12, 2006
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
We got about 8" here in Blacksburg and it's still flurry-ing. Took a hike around 10pm last night. Nothing quite as peaceful as a hike through the snow at night, the way the light reflects off of the snow you'd think it was mid-day. And it was so quiet the uncleared lot behind the house felt like the middle of the national forrest.
bawalker
February 12, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
About 8" here as well in Wardensville/Hardy Co.
camp
February 12, 2006
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts
Quote:

About 8" here as well in Wardensville/Hardy Co.

Hey Bawalker, is your your homegrown ski area open today?
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
bawalker
February 12, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Unfortunately no it isn't. That has been pushed back a bit with this winter being more of a 'test' to see how we can get some snowguns built, infrastructure taken care of. Last but not least is actually cleaning out underbrush over the summer.
TLaHaye
February 12, 2006
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
11+ inches here in Warrenton.
john84
February 12, 2006
Member since 11/7/2005 🔗
27 posts
When I measured this morning around 7 AM we had 11 on pavement and 13 on grass in Rockville.
bawalker
February 12, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
The question of the day is now... how much is left after warmer temps have stayed around? The 8" we had this morning is down to about 5" after the snow has gotten heavy, wet, and started collapsing under it's own weight.
Roger Z
February 12, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Well, there's a lot warmer weather on the way starting Tuesday, unfortunately. However, Accuweather...

...waiting for everyone to finish laughing...

...finished yet? okay....

Accuweather is showing a low pressure over Central Canada slowly sinking south. Their meteoroligsts say that the second half of Feb may be one of the coldest in a long time. If it turns out to be true, with any luck we'll get another storm (doesn't have to be a two footer but I'd take that!) that will keep the ground white through early March at least.

So far, it seems the two best prognosticators over the last couple weeks are Andy and a groundhog. I have no idea what that means for the current state of meteorology in America...
Roger Z
February 12, 2006
2,181 posts
Well, I don't know where the "cold air coming from Canada" report went. Accuweather must have changed their minds. But they did post the total snowfall numbers. Some places in NC got absolutely nailed- 19 inches in Robbinsville! The biggest winners south of NYC appear to be the transition belt from Bay Country to the Piedmont in Maryland: Randallstown, Columbia, etc. Here's the reported totals:

Snowfall reports for the Blizzard of 2006 REDDING, CT: 28.0" (SnowMatrix) NEWTON CENTER, MA: 26.0" (SnowMatrix) FARMINGTON & W. HARTFORD, CT: 25.0" CENTRAL PARK ZOO, NY: 22.8" COLUMBIA, MD: 22.5" TOPTON, PA: 22.0" (SnowMatrix) RANDALLSTOWN, MD: 22.0" South Glastonbury, CT: 22.0" (SnowMatrix) AVON, CT: 22.0" WEST CALN TOWNSHIP, PA: 21.0" WILBRAHAM, MA: 21.0" EAST BRUNSWICK, NJ: 20.5" GLENMORE, PA: 20.0" (SnowMatrix) CHRISTIANA, PA: 20.0" NEWARK & RANDOLPH TWP., NJ: 20.0" HAMPDEN, MA: 20.0" NEW CITY, NY: 19.9" HO HO KUS, NJ: 19.5" (SnowMatrix) FAIRFIELD, NJ: 19.0" (SnowMatrix) ROBBINSVILLE, NC: 19.0" BULADEAN, NC: 17.0" BULL RUN MTN, VA: 15.0" HOLLIS, NH: 15.0" FAIRFAX & VIENNA, VA: 14.0" WILMINGTON, DE: 14.0" (SnowMatrix) NEWARK, DE: 14.0" WILMINGTON AIRPORT, DE: 14.0" WOONSOCKET, RI: 13.0" HAYMARKET, VA: 12.0" (SnowMatrix) CUMBERLAND, RI: 12.0" (SnowMatrix) N. KINGSTOWN, W. WARWICK, RI: 12.0" MONTGOMERY VILLAGE, MD: 11.9" (SnowMatrix) HUDSON, NH: 11.5" HEDGESVILLE, WV: 11.0" KENNEBUNK, ME: 11.0" HARPERS FERRY, WV: 10.5" CLOSPLINT, KY: 10.5" CAPITOL HILL, DC: 8.8" WASHINGTON, DC: 8.1" NEWFOUND GAP, TN: 8.0" ELIZABETHTOWN, TN: 8.0" (SnowMatrix) SOUTH BERWICK, ME: 8.0" ANACOSTIA, DC: 8.0" IRVINE, KY: 5.0" MOUNTAIN CITY, GA: 5.0" DESOTO & TUNICA COUNTY, MS: 4.0" DUNKLIN COUNTY, MO: 4.0" CRITTENDEN COUNTY, AR: 4.0" NEWFANE, VT: 3.3" MARLBORO, VT: 2.4"
skier219
February 12, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
There was about 12" on my car when we left Snowshoe this afternoon, and it was still snowing hard. It was even deeper on some parts of the mountain (not counting drifts).

Craig
Snowmakers
February 12, 2006
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
I ended up with 9". Not too bad given the low intensified after it passed my latitude. Forecasts of 8-12" were dead-on.
For once.
therusty
February 12, 2006
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Whitetail accurately reported 8-10". I stayed on the mountain overnight Sat nite. Freshies on Bold Sunday AM were sweet. Untracked pow lasted 40 minutes.
SkiBumMSP
February 12, 2006
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
I don't know what the "official" numbers are, but I am guestimating a good foot or so that we had on top of the mountain at Massanutten.

The conditions there were just friggan devine! Got some nice freshies on Paradice and Diamond Jim. Also, they got upper Dixie Dare opened, and it was friggan sweet (until the snow was getting scraped off of it). Even towards the end of the day, I was still finding some nice powder, such as on the left side of lower Dixie Dare under the lift. And the powder was that real nice soft, dry stuff - it was just awesome!

Who woulda thunk, that I ended up with a better powder day at friggan Massanutten than what I got at Sun Valley, ID just two weeks before?

Back here in Fredericksburg, it seemed to have started out as sleet and turned into snow later at night. It looks like only about 4 inches or so on my back deck.
Aaron
February 12, 2006
Member since 01/12/2005 🔗
54 posts
4ish inches on Saturday at wintergreen and 6ish inches on sunday. About 8 inches was left when I got back (9 o'clock tonight) in falls church.
Kris
February 13, 2006
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts
Timberline was awesome yesterday. Im guessin anywhere from 10"-12". Maybe more near the top. But the wind was terrible yesterday so all of it blew away. For anybody that is interested, I have a family member that lives near Winterplace, she called and said she had a foot yesterday morning, and i know it snowed all day off and on down there. So winterplace might have around 13" or 14".
kwillg6
February 13, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I was at t-line over the weekend. The had 10 + inches. I'd say more, but you couldn't measure it with any accuracy due to the winds. But wouldn't you know it....they GROOMED everything for Sunday. Unless you had rock skis, the fresh pow was not skiable. When are these places gonna get the message?
kennedy
February 13, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
7 Springs by Sunday morning had maybe 6 inches but when we hit the road around 2 pm it was still snowing and in some cases heavilly. North face rocked. Glades rocked. Even Phillips run rock because the banks had about 2 feet of pow on them and most of it was untracked higher up the bank. I had a straight powder run at 2pm down Phillips. Awesome.
David
February 13, 2006
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
I am planning on running up to T-Line tomorrow. How do you think the conditions will be? Worth the 2 hour trip?? How is OTW? Their snow report says that they have 29/37 trails open with snowmaking on a good bit of slopes. Then again it was updated on Saturday morning so.......
SkiBumMSP
February 13, 2006
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

I was at t-line over the weekend. The had 10 + inches. I'd say more, but you couldn't measure it with any accuracy due to the winds. But wouldn't you know it....they GROOMED everything for Sunday. Unless you had rock skis, the fresh pow was not skiable. When are these places gonna get the message?

They didn't at Massanutten - and it was just friggan incredible Sunday morning! Later in the day, it was getting pretty well skied up, but I still was able to find some good snow to drop into.

The downside was that the place was friggan crooooowDED! I don't think I've ever seen that many poeple on the slopes before!
Norsk
February 13, 2006
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
Lemme second that...Massanutten was indeed sweet on Sunday. Can't say re crowds b/c it was my first time there, but there was never a lift line on Paradice/Diamond Jim lift. Others did seems rather crowded. I know resorts groom for other reasons (holding snow longer, esp in a thin snow year), but the crowd at the 'Nuttin didn't seem to mind that the slopes weren't groomed. Most everyone seemed to be having a good time with the soft snow.
jimmy
February 13, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Unless you had rock skis, the fresh pow was not skiable..... ...

I have rock skis now!
kennedy
February 13, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Need to bring my baby in for a little TLC. No gashes or dings but I want it floating as sweet as possible by next week.
jimmy
February 13, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Know what you mean kennedy, no core shots, couple of long scratches, plenty of dings. Don't have to feel the edges to know it's tune time, visual inspection is enough. OOOHHH what a great 4 days .
kennedy
February 13, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Yeah my edges feel a little like a hacksaw. Usually I like my edges best the second day of riding after a tune. The first day generally feels a little off because they bite so hard. Day after they've settled in and are ready to roll.
wgo
February 13, 2006
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
I wasn't able to do any skiing until Sunday afternoon, when I headed out to Wintergreen. No fresh powder was left by the time I got there, but on the plus side the entire highlands area was bumped up! I've never seen that at Wintegreen before. Nothing too difficult - moguls were soft and not really close together. Upper wild turkey in particular was nice, you could really get a rhythm going on those bumps.

On the minus side, crowds were about as bad as I have ever seen at wintergreen. Even on the highlands side the wait in the lift line was ~15 minutes. All parking lots, included the auxilllary lot by Devils Knob, were full, and I had to employ some creative parking techniques. I guess it's to be expected after getting snow after 6 weeks of mild temps.
SkiBumMSP
February 13, 2006
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

Lemme second that...Massanutten was indeed sweet on Sunday. Can't say re crowds b/c it was my first time there, but there was never a lift line on Paradice/Diamond Jim lift. Others did seems rather crowded. I know resorts groom for other reasons (holding snow longer, esp in a thin snow year), but the crowd at the 'Nuttin didn't seem to mind that the slopes weren't groomed. Most everyone seemed to be having a good time with the soft snow.

Sunday, the crowds were not as bad, but on Saturday, that place was just packed! There was even a line on Lift 6 (The Diamond Jim/Paradise lift).

Still, that was probably one of the most incredible weekends of skiing that I got out of that place. Unfortunatly, it is supposed to warm up towards the end of this week, so it will be interesting to see what it will be like next weekend when I am up there again.
SkiBumMSP
February 13, 2006
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Quote:

I wasn't able to do any skiing until Sunday afternoon, when I headed out to Wintergreen. No fresh powder was left by the time I got there, but on the plus side the entire highlands area was bumped up! I've never seen that at Wintegreen before. Nothing too difficult - moguls were soft and not really close together. Upper wild turkey in particular was nice, you could really get a rhythm going on those bumps.

That sounds sweet. I hope the conditions are still decent by the time I get a chance to ski it around March 2nd.

About the crowds, that was my guess also, after a too-mild January, it seems there were plenty of people itching to get some turns in once the "good stuff" finally arrived!
kwillg6
February 13, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Quote:

Quote:

Unless you had rock skis, the fresh pow was not skiable..... ...

I have rock skis now!

Yeah man!!!! I'm bringing my old rock skis up to the valley. I even have a pair of powder rangers that are sitting im my basement in virginia. Why I keep them here is a mystery
Roger Z
February 13, 2006
2,181 posts
Winterplace was good today. The southern Apps have been hammered over the last two days, and the snow continued into today. Probably another inch fell during the day at Winterplace, on top of 15 inches over the last 24 hours.

Some odd secondary low formed over the mountains, or some moisture got trapped in them or something, and the result was a very intense, very dry snow that fell from Saturday night to early this morning. Rumors last night were that Mount Rogers, Roan, Beech and Sugar were hit especially hard (pretty much anything above 4000 feet). NWS dude was saying that they'd be reporting snowfall totals in feet, not inches. Normally Winterplace is too far south for this stuff; this time they appeared to be on the northern edge of it.

Beech is reporting 16 inches total. Anyone heard anything about the high peaks?

Drive up this morning I went through an incredible snow squall centered right over Buckhorn Knob- aka Moonshine Mountain. Was wondering what they got out of this... my guess is about 7 1/2 feet. That's their usual for a snow flurry.
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
February 13, 2006
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
SkiBeech (5500') is reporting 19" total, 3" today (4:45pm). Cataloochee (5300'), down south, is similar and opened their natural snow fields for the first time in several years. Roan is usually expected to get the most snow but no chairlifts there Hopefully someone can poach the AT accross the balds. Reports have been of nice powdery snow.

I hate my job

rather, I really hate my protestant attachment to my job
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
February 13, 2006
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Quote:

I really hate my protestant attachment to my job

You got that one right. My colleague took a "snow day" and headed to Whitetail. As for me: all work and no play makes John a dull boy.
fishnski
February 13, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
WOWWWWWW!! Head is spinning...Where do I start? 24" at banner elk? Might have screwed up...Decided on wintergreen as ski destination post blizzard sun. Woke up at red roof inn in Manassas Va. with 12 inches on the SUV roof. Headed down to WG to ski. BAM...what a zoo! Had to park at the spa 2 miles from the lift ticket sales.. got there at 11:00AM started to ski at 12:20 pm(why don't they have half day tickets?)Thought the snow would have Kept people off the roads & the lift lines would be down...But Nooooo! Spent too much time in line & no room to ski those bumps on the Highlands. Won't complain about the slow lifts at TL no more..+ will take the nat snow that fell at the valley all day over the snow blowers in your face at wintergreen ANYTIME! Got to go ....the Ole lady needs the phone...Dam Dial up Int Svc!
Roger Z
February 13, 2006
2,181 posts
John, don't you work with the federal government? How come Ibotta is on a 16 week vacation and you're at the office? What, are you doing work for him too? Or is Lou switched over to road paving? Would have figured him more for bike trail paving sort of dude, but who knows...

School is frustrating. There's no such thing as a day off. I'll miss being able to break away on random midweek days for skiing (without having to take a sick day), but since I spent most of the lift rides figuring out what homework to do tonight (and most of tonight too tired to do any homework) I'm not sure it'll be that bad of a trade-off.

Anyway, Andy sorry to hear about the WG experience. A guy on the lift told me today he prefers Winterplace to WG, but he couldn't really specify why. Can't imagine it has to do with weekend crowds, as a patroller warned me that Winterplace was worse on the weekends than I thought. For the most part, I was able to ski Turkey Chute (the mogul run there) unmolested by crowds but the moguls were spaced very wide so it wasn't the most challenging field. Still, probably the best practice moguls I've been on in two years. And 15 inches of fresh, fluffy snow waiting to be poached on Picker's Peak. Me and the aforementioned ski patrol met on that run, trying to steal each other's lines. Good thing he was cool about it...
February 13, 2006
925 posts
Quote:

And 15 inches of fresh, fluffy snow waiting to be poached on Picker's Peak. Me and the aforementioned ski patrol met on that run, trying to steal each other's lines. Good thing he was cool about it...

??????? tell me more about this Pickers Peak.

WG and WP are just apples and oranges. Too much of one and I yearn for the other. Both have some good slopes. Looks like I'll be braving next Monday's crowds at WP.
Roger Z
February 13, 2006
2,181 posts
Quote:

tell me more about this Pickers Peak.

Not a big secret. It's the area in-between Dropoff and Snowbowl. They never groom it, and for some reason people don't venture onto it until late morning or the afternoon. After a snowfall, there's always fresh tracks there. I could tell you the best lines within Picker's Peak but then I'd have to kill you...
Murphy
February 13, 2006
618 posts
Quote:

Quote:

tell me more about this Pickers Peak.

Not a big secret. It's the area in-between Dropoff and Snowbowl. They never groom it, and for some reason people don't venture onto it until late morning or the afternoon. After a snowfall, there's always fresh tracks there. I could tell you the best lines within Picker's Peak but then I'd have to kill you...

It's only 1 1/2 acres. How many lines can there be?

But it is fun.
fishnski
February 13, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Hurricane season is over Roger...FEMAS on Vacation! My sister(Gov't worker) sends me a Bazillion Joke E-mails a day...Guess what they are doing?...Vote Libatarion....PS Most Gov't Workers are great people...just pampered....Send me some hate!!!!
February 13, 2006
925 posts
Quote:

oh that? heck, thats the only reason I go to WP at all. didn't know it has a name - i just called it that area around the pine. you can also get some untracked under the liftline if you exit snowbowl to the skier right, and in the trees next to panorama (all 50 feet of it!).
Aaron
February 14, 2006
Member since 01/12/2005 🔗
54 posts
Wintergreen was a zoo.... however when the freind your staying with is a property owner and has a Ypl pass so you can use their special line and park in their special lots, and when the second day you're there you're teaching and your student is working on the highlands all day you can use the ski school line - the lift lines suddenly dissappear Yea, by 11ish on sunday it got bad, but from 8 AM -10 AMish it was perfect, the snow did it's job for those few hours of keeping people off of the slopes, plus they didn't start blowing nearly as much snow until 10AM ish for some strange reason. The natural snow was sooo nice it does puzzle me why they were making on open trails although it could've been worse you could advoid most of the snowblowers or just spin backwards around them, and it did bug me how lower cliffhanger was closed, I wanted to poach that soooo badly.
Murphy
February 14, 2006
618 posts
Quote:

SkiBeech (5500') is reporting 19" total, 3" today (4:45pm). Cataloochee (5300'), down south, is similar and opened their natural snow fields for the first time in several years. Roan is usually expected to get the most snow but no chairlifts there Hopefully someone can poach the AT accross the balds. Reports have been of nice powdery snow.

I hate my job

rather, I really hate my protestant attachment to my job

Mount LeConte (6,300') in NC, or is it TN, is reporting 41" snow depths!
Roger Z
February 14, 2006
2,181 posts
Mount LeConte is in Tennessee and, if memory serves, has a 6,593 foot summit elevation. It is the largest ascent from base to summit of any mountain on the east coast, and the summit has never hit 80 degrees F. 41 inches? Even with the warm-up, they're gonna have some sitting on the ground for awhile!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?