Canaan Valley - on the spot report
11 posts
6 users
1k+ views
tgd
February 10, 2006
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
We drove up last night under clear skies and cold (14 degrees) temps. Actually, temp dropped from 25 degrees to 14 as we climbed up 93 from Scherr past the powerplant.

Arrived at our place to find around 4" of super dry light powder on the deck.

Snowmaking budget? We ain't got no snowmaking budget. Pleased to report Timberline's snow guns were (and still are) blazing - on multiple trails from top to bottom of the mountain! Wife and kid are skiing today while I telecommute Getting an early start working now so I might still catch some late afternoon turns.

Tom
tgd
February 11, 2006
585 posts
Snow just started and is falling quite steadily now. Very fine and dry. Forecasts are a over the map ranging from 2-6" from DT's wxrisk, to 5-9" NWS, to 12" or more accuweather. Anyway, supposed to snow all day, picking up intensity into the afternoon and evening.

My prediction? Solid 10" by Sunday AM. What the world wants to know is how much our favorite NC fisherman is predicting...
tgd
February 11, 2006
585 posts
Snow started around 7AM and continued sometimes heavy all day. Right now, 7:30PM we're looking at 8-9" of super light fluff at my house - just a few hundred yards from Salamander. Still snowing pretty well - NOAA expecting another 4-8" overnight and tomorrow. Skied several awesome late afternoon powder runs with jimmy. All is well.

What are the snow totals elsewhere in the Mid Atlantic?
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 11, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
You're making us townies green with envy. Here in Falls Church we have about 1-2 inches on ground at 8pm Sat. Snow started in am, but stayed so wet that nothing stuck until about sunset. Supposedly we're to get about 5-8 total in town by noon Sunday. Looking forward to a little local cross country skiing tomorrow if possible.
bawalker
February 11, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I'll throw in the snow report from Wardensville as well. It's 9:00pm now and it wasn't until around 1pm when snow really started to accumulate. Previously all pavement and gravel had been snow free. Even backing the Outback up our hill caused some sliding and as of now, we are about a good 6". Although radar shows the majority of the remaining moisture to head east.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 12, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Very unofficial, but quick 830am 12 Feb survey of local ski area websites indicated the following:
Wintergreen 10-12"
Liberty 10
Whitetail 8-10 (Bold Dec, EX and Farside left ungroomed)
Snowshoe 7
Wisp 6
Roundtop 6
Seven Spgs 3
Some areas report more snow expected during the day.
6-7" here in Falls Church, VA.
Heading out to shovel my driveway, then maybe some XC skiing later. My son's at Blue Knob this weekend, I pulled home duty.

Revised Falls Church total: 11-12"
Once I got out in it found it was deeper than I thought. Very wet and heavy, sticks to my XC skis. Need to wax waxless base?
jb714
February 12, 2006
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Here in Lake Ridge (Woodbridge) VA I measured about 8.5 - 9 inches this morning at 7:00. That surprised me - I had measured about 2 inches last night at 10:00, so it snowed at a good rate overnight.
tgd
February 12, 2006
585 posts
Canaan Valley - 9:30AM Sunday totals

Whitegrass - 8-12"
Canaan Heights (Lesher) - 7.6"
My House (Timberline) - an honest 11" fluffy as you can like it!)

Still snowing lightly, supposed to be another 2-3" coming.

Wife is out skiing in Tline's Women's ski clinic all day. I'm heading out with my daughter in the next hour or so.

Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

Tom
kwillg6
February 13, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Jim, missed you on the weekend. I caught up with Jimmy and we made turns on Sunday untill our legs were jello...and until the mountain began to ski us. Maybe I'll catch up with you next time. Jimmy and I were talking about having a DCski gathering of those in the area on Luau weekend. Could be fun...put some burgers on the grill, some cold ones in the cooler...finally see what everybody looks like w/o hats, helments, etc...
jimmy
February 15, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

I caught up with Jimmy and we made turns on Sunday untill our legs were jello...

Ya kwill, tgd and i did the same thing to each other Saturday.....so nice to have friends on the hill. Sorry we didn't get to hook up Kris, maybe Snowy Luau? anyways, Sunday Upper Silver Streak "officially" opened, although it had been poached in bits and pieces. Took my second run down it, skiers left the narrow side was the best way around the towers, skiers right was pretty skied off by 9:30, oohh so many turns, legs sooo tired, had to save middle and lower for later. Sunday's run of the day, Upper Silver Streak.

I felt conditions were best:

Thursday, light crowd skiing on 4" fresh snow, run of the day "middle" Thunderdraft popping off the edge into boot deep pow between the trail and the woods, and

Saturday, snowed all day, conditions went from cord to packed powder to loose snow and my favorite trail that day was whatever trail i happpened to be on.

Find myself spending more time on the drop than otw, these four day weekends are just too darn short . tgd, you had a "sandwich" lately .
tgd
February 15, 2006
585 posts
Quote:

tgd, you had a "sandwich" lately .

Nothing from that food group since Saturday. We stayed through Monday. Monday was awesome - another 4" of snow fell overnight and everyone else was gone. I have to check the Drop when I get back next weekend. Need to see if anything's growing - planted a pretty nice face garden on the bumps there.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?