Winter Forecast
6 posts
3 users
1k+ views
(Anonymous)
November 24, 2003
For what it's worth (and I think we've all learned to be skeptical regarding DC TV weather forecasts), WJLA's Doug Hill is predicting less snow than last winter, but still more snow than average; and he's predicting slightly colder temps overall than last winter. He also predicted that those cold temps "would not be concentrated in January & February like last year".

Let's hope he's correct....

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
November 24, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,991 posts
Herb Stevens just posted his 24 November update:

http://www.skiingweatherman.com/weather.php

Here's his summary....a mixed bag, but at least we are not looking at a repeat of 01-02.

"In summary, the cool down continues, although to get into the cold air masses at this time of year, you have to spend some time in the warm one. Overall, though, we are headed in the right direction. This week will average out a little above normal in the East, next week will be at, or slightly below normal, and I expect the first full week of December to continue the downward trend. Thanksgiving skiing and riding will be limited, not only in the East, mind you, but also in much of the West, where snow has been falling in copious amounts, but it takes a lot more to open a run in the West than it does in the East...they don't call them the Rockies for nothing...Be patient, it's coming..."

I'm not patient. I want it NOW.

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 11-24-2003).]

(Anonymous)
November 24, 2003
How accurate have Herb Stevens' forecasts been in past winters?
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
November 24, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,991 posts
He's pretty good but perhaps a tad optimistic at times....
(Anonymous)
November 25, 2003
Doug hill didnt even know where tucker co wv was when i used to live in the dc area. him & topper shut thought the mtns were garrett co,md.Flurries in garrett co is all i would here them mention of snow.I'd have to call them & say tucker co is getting dumped on & they wouldn't believe me.They were shocked to hear after a little schooling of the 150 to 180' of snow those mtns got.
canaanman
November 25, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
May I say my weather forecast?

We're looking at the prevailing last days of a high-pressure system in the East, which will keep things frigid in the Mid-Atlantic. Look for a weather-maker on Thursday, most likely in the afternoon. This front, coming down from Canada across the Plains and clipping the Lakes will bring us some moisture and colder temperatures for the "First Shopping day of the Christmas Season". In fact, expect snow in the Mid-Atlantic... light traces in the valleys and accumulations in the mountains.

After this will follow another high-pressure system, blasting us with cold temperatures again, perfect snowmaking conditions. Expect your next round of weather tuesday or wednesday, as a front from N. Canada treks down towards us, bringing yet again SNOW, and following that, a few more days of cold temps. From there its a gamble.

Happy Turkey Day!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?