Torture
13 posts
8 users
1k+ views
Roger Z
February 5, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Ok, global warming is hooey. God just has it out for the Mid-Atlantic. My proof? This weather forecast from weather.com for tomorrow:

"Farther south, snow is expected to develop overnight in northern Arkansas, southern Tennessee, extreme northeast Mississippi and northern Alabama, spreading eastward from there during the day Monday. Preliminary indications are that several inches of snow will accumulate in southern Tennessee and far northern portions of Alabama and Georgia Monday; an inch or so--mainly on grassy surfaces and overpasses--is expected in the greater Atlanta area before a changeover to rain. Snow will push into southwestern North Carolina during Monday afternoon. A patchwork of winter weather advisories, snow advisories and winter storm watches has been issued."

SSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

we get over a month of weather where it's almost too warm to make snow, then the weather turns cold and it starts snowing in

ALA

(Scott how can I make 86 point font to drive this point home?)

FRICKIN'

BAMA!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

WTF??? I'M AT MY WITS END. IT SNOWS FROM PENNSYVLANIA NORTH AND SOUTH OF TENNESSEE BUT NOT HERE?!?!? AAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(pounds head mercilessly against desk, makes vow to move to Alaska, quickly drops it, tries to make another vow, can't think of any place to move. Can't think of anything to think. Checks weather forecast for northern Georgia again. Debates whether to challenge God to a duel. Goes back to drinking whiskey for relief)

<end rant>
kennedy
February 6, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Take a deep breath and put the bottle down. Don't look at me like that. Now go to the Wisp or 7 Springs webcam and soak in the fresh new snow falling. For an added treat go to http://www.deepcreekhospitality.com/weather.asp?Tab=Cams&Cam=1 and control the cam yourself. It's going to be okay.
Roger Z
February 6, 2006
2,181 posts
mmmmmmmmmm... pretty snowflakes. Mongo likes snowflakes...
bawalker
February 6, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Now it snows at wisp, after I was there on Saturday in slush and drenching rain.
kennedy
February 6, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
My buddy was talking about going but I figured it would be dubious. Going this weekend though. Seriously I'm hoping for something similar to the first weekend I went where it kept snowing all weekend with just a ton of illicit powder lines.
snowcone
February 6, 2006
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
It also snowed in Hawaii on one of the volcanoes last week as well as Cancun [ok, only briefly but its still OUR snow they are getting]! Something is horribly wrong here! A friend of mine says its all that hot air centered over Washington that is preventing any colder stuff from moving in. I'm beginning to think he is right!
JohnL
February 6, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
?

Snow started at Timberline on Saturday evening and continued through Sunday when I left at 2PM.

So how again did the snow miss the Mid-Atlantic?
jimmy
February 6, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
?RogerZ u gotta get out of blacksburg more often. 7 Springs sunday snow started at 8:30 and was snowing sideways at 2:30 when we left. Probably 4 inches in six hours.

JohnL sounds like you got to Tline a day early; how was Sunday in the WV Alps?
Roger Z
February 6, 2006
2,181 posts
Yes, I overreacted. I blame the winter storm warnings that were briefly posted in the deep south.

But most of the Mid Atlantic is brown, the highlands aside. I want snow here, and in WV, but not in Cancun. Is that too much to ask? Argh...
langleyskier
February 6, 2006
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
when did it snow in Cancun?
bawalker
February 6, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
The way this year is going... it's probably snowed 6" in cancun. Radar this morning showed snow in most of South Carolina, bits of North Carolina, half of Tennessee, the slight tip of Mississippii, and the northern area of Alabama. How much they got and what stuck is a different matter. But I saw lots of blues hovering over those states.
tgd
February 6, 2006
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Quote:

when did it snow in Cancun?

Snow in Cancun? Man, my wife's been beating me up about a winter getaway to someplace warm. Might be a good compromise. Do they have a high-speed quad?
JohnL
February 6, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

JohnL sounds like you got to Tline a day early; how was Sunday in the WV Alps?

I'll post some more detail on the other T-Line thread, but Sunday was pretty much dust on crust. The mountain had probably received 4 inches of new snow by the time I left, but all the trails would have been a disaster if it hadn't snowed. It rained a lot on Saturday and the temps dropped into the upper teens / low twenties on Sunday. Talk about a potential ice skating rink. The gradual rain to snow transition also helped rough up the ice layer a bit, since some new snow was incorporated into the freezing base.

Skiing should be pretty nice at T-Line this week, Sunday was the transition day.

And it sure was great to see a layer of white between the trails and in the valley. When I arrived on Friday, just about the only snow in the valley was man-made on the trails.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?