7 posts
7 users
1k+ views
Dave K
February 4, 2006
Member since 06/21/2004 🔗
8 posts
Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to finalize plans for a group trip next week. I was wondering if anyone might be able to make any predictions about what the Knob will have open next weekend. Other wise I'm considering Wisp or Canaan Valley as fallbacks, since I'm more confident in their ability to recover snowmaking-wise. I'd really like to give Blue Knob a shot, but I don't want the group to be disappointed.

Thanks for your input!
-Dave
gavin123
February 4, 2006
Member since 11/12/2005 🔗
21 posts
According to NOAA's website blue knob has snow in the forecaset from now through next saturday night - with the high never going above 34 which really means about 30 at Blue Knob. BK can make more snow now than before but I understand your concern, however it looks like you picked the perfect weekend to go to the knob. If that forecast holds true I would bet that Stembogen opens up that weekend!

Good luck!
Mountain Masher
February 5, 2006
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
"BK can make more snow now than before"? This is news to me as I'm not aware of any recent snowmaking improvements at BK. The new lake is not currently hooked up to the snowmaking system and BK hasn't bought (over the past few years) any new air compressors, fan guns, etc. that I'm aware of. Plus, their groomers (snow cats) are old and just patched together with surplus parts at this point. When BK makes snow for 2 or 3 days, they run the small pond (located at the top of the mountain) dry. Then most of the snowmaking stops for a day while they pump more water up from the bottom of the mountain into the aforementioned pond. So, I would hardly call the BK snowmaking system a model of efficiency. The best time to go to BK is just after a major snow-storm. And, if you're planning on skiing or boarding their famous "glades", I'd bring some rock-skis or rock-boards. As things stand now, BK isn't likely to receive a huge amount of natural snow accumulation over the next couple of weeks but you never know.
POWPOW
February 6, 2006
Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
There you go DaveK you had to do it! Mountain Hater waits in hopes of a BK quote or topic and you had to go and let him out again.
I think we should vote on why Mountain Hater dislikes BK so much.
My vote is he was doing one of his high level wedge christies and ran into a snowmaking machine, then the snowmakers who happened to be there and all the people on the lift were laughing at him. Or maybe he didnt heed the warning in this sign.
JohnL
February 6, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to finalize plans for a group trip next week. I was wondering if anyone might be able to make any predictions about what the Knob will have open next weekend. Other wise I'm considering Wisp or Canaan Valley as fallbacks, since I'm more confident in their ability to recover snowmaking-wise. I'd really like to give Blue Knob a shot, but I don't want the group to be disappointed.

Thanks for your input!
-Dave

Frankly, I'll be surprised if Blue Knob opens up much additional terrain in the next seven days; they'll probably re-open Stembogan and replenish the bases of the currently open trails. I hope to be proven wrong about the lack of additional trail openings. Unfortunately, Blue Knob has been really lagging the last few years wrt making snow, even when the weather has been cold.
Roy
February 7, 2006
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
I've had my boughts with MM in the past but he still has the right to give his opinions.

That sign scares me. Does it mean no pedophiles?
Roger Z
February 7, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Quote:

That sign scares me. Does it mean no pedophiles?

A sign banning pedophiles from a ski area scares you? Now you're starting to scare me.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.