Sale of HV
4 posts
4 users
RidelikeaRhino
February 2, 2006
Member since 01/31/2006 🔗
42 posts
Thanks for the update. I've been puzzling over the condition of this resort for years. Seems to me the biggest problem is just apathy. There are two possible reasons. 1) true apathy 2) something else is making it worth while not to invest in the ski resort.

I considered; bag the ski resort and just develop homes on the site. Buncher may boost this argument. riding the tails so to speak. Thought?
hockeydave
February 2, 2006
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
Without the resort, why would anybody want to live there. I recently bought a property in LM Village... endless outdoor activities abound with mountain biking, hiking, rock climbing, X-country skiing etc. within a mile. IMHO, the main reason why this little hamlet has not flourished into a full scale community is due to the LM ski resort not being opened on a consistemt basis with a stable owner. On the plus side, it afforded myself an oppurtunity to purchase a beautiful cabin at a reasonable price. On the other hand, unless ski operations resume, LM Village will remain at its current size and property values will probably just increase at the inflation rate.

So HV needs to have the ski resort if any further home development is to occur. And my guess is if the current resort would be converted to housing, the current property owners @ HV would be justifiably outraged.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
February 2, 2006
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Rhino - the resort has been run into the ground by the current management team. Poor marketing, abysmal service, no investment, no maintenance, etc. These guys couldn't run a snow ball stand. It's sad that they are logging all of the wooded areas on the resort to make a little cash. They have no vision, no plan and if wasn't for some dedicated folks who run the ski school, kids programs and do the snowmaking and grooming, the place would have probably closed. All HV residents look forward to the departure of the current owners. That is why we are so frustrated with the status of the sale.
nogoodnik
February 3, 2006
Member since 11/7/2005 🔗
49 posts
Re the logging...A couple of days ago, I walked down the access road that goes from the bottom of Hightop to the 13th green/14th tee. About 1/3 of the way down I ran into the logging operation. A worker told me they are taking trees over 14" diameter chest high. The once beautiful forest is just sickening to look at now. The Kettler rape of HV continues unabated.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.