Good CNN article on Vermont skiing
4 posts
3 users
Scott - DCSki Editor
November 21, 2003
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
CNN published an interesting article describing how skiing and resort development is evolving in Vermont:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/DESTINATIONS/11/21/holtr.vermont.ski.ap/index.html

gatkinso
November 21, 2003
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
To h@## with them! My greatest dream is to own a secluded A-frame near some great skiing.

I love A-frames!!!!!!

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
November 22, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Very interesting indeed. There seems to be a disconnect between what resorts want to develop and what skiers want to buy. At Timberline, the original development plan called for 3 times as many condos as are on the mountain right now. When the resort realized that most buyers preferred stand alone houses, it scrapped the idea of building more condos and instead built A-Frames. Snowshoe, Wisp, Whitetail, and 7 Springs, on the other hand, are primarily focusing on condo development. The irony of it all is that condo owners are often less inclined to put their properties on a rental program because the ownership costs of condos are relatively cheap compared to houses. At Timberline, the heating bill alone for some of those big A-Frames on Northface can be upwards to $500 a month. Costs like that compel many home owners to rent. At Northwoods, by contrast, less than half the units are on a rental program. They are, in industry parlance, "cold beds." Fractional ownership may allow resorts to build condos and keep them available for rent, but I'm not sure that there will be many buyers for time shares. Most people would rather pay more money, and own a unit or house outright.
gatkinso
November 25, 2003
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
I guess one has a choice between insulation and a rustic look.

Also, a geothermal heat pump would really cut those bills.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?