Just got back from Utah last night...
10 posts
5 users
1k+ views
Chad
February 1, 2006
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
we hit snowbird last wednesday (jan25) where they had plenty of snow, but it had been a few days since any new had fallen. a great day, but was a little crusty by utah standards, and we had to work hard to find any pow. but fortunately it started falling just as we were packing up our gear for the day.

it snowed that night, and we were at solitude the next day (jan26). beautiful blue morning sky, and the report said 2 inches of new snow. that must have been at the base, as we were seeing more like 4 to 6 inches up higher on the mountain. nice light and fluffy everywhere, and absolutely no one there. plenty of powder stashes at solitude, occasionally some scrapy stuff underneath.

friday (jan27) it started snowing early, and by the time we hit the slopes (again at solitude) it was dumping down hard. after an hour or so there was another 6 inches everywhere. the lines under the summit chair were epic! and i am not talking lift lines, as again we were nearly alone. foot deep powder was readily available, all day long. for the first time we hit honeycomb canyon, which was verrry nice.

this was my second year in a row at solitude and again it didnt disappoint. this would have been one of my best powder days ever, if not for last year when it didnt stop snowing all three days we were there.
Chad
February 1, 2006
274 posts
oh, and here is the forecast:

High temps 31-33 degrees. Periods of snow, heavy at times, for 6-9 inches possible. Strong winds. Snow continuing overnight and through Friday morning...
Chad
February 1, 2006
274 posts
here are some pics...

top of the tram at snowbird

too much snow at solitude

alone at solitude

honeycomb canyon

kennedy
February 1, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
3 weeks and counting. OMG you just got me so fired up. Dammit I think I need a towel.
Roger Z
February 1, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Chad, I have to double Kennedy's comment. I saw the web cam at Park City yesterday and was almost crying... can't wait to get out there in March! Thanks for the photos of Solitude, you brought back some awesome memories of the place. For instance- there's no rush to get on the lifts after a powder dump. There's no rush to get on the lifts two days after a powder dump. There's no rush to get on the lifts three days after a powder dump.

But wait! You say, there's NEVER a rush to get on the lifts three days after a powder dump. Very true, but the difference is that at Solitude, there is still large amounts of untracked in-bounds powder three days after a powder dump. At places like Steamboat Springs and Jackson Hole, you're lucky to find a stash after one p.m. (well, there are places, but you have to find them).

Solitude is a great place. It may not be as steep as Snowbird, but it's got some good pitches and it's got a complete emptiness that makes up for such things as no high speed lifts. It has a good ticket price, good snow, good terrain. My only complaint is I wish they had another restaurant or two in the base village. That's not a particularly bad complaint though. I'd go spend another week at Solitude/Brighton in a heartbeat, and maybe get a day of backcountry in this time as well... The Silver Fork Canyon is high on the list of must dos.

One month to go... one month to go... one month to go...
Crush
February 1, 2006
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
.. Chad - hee hee hee "Welcome To The Pleasure Dome" .... heay who is the grl-rider in orange with white stripes and a pony-tail? Just curious .....
Chad
February 1, 2006
274 posts
Quote:

Chad - hee hee hee "Welcome To The Pleasure Dome"

mmmmm, thanks. actually i grew up in utah, so i always feel welcome.

Quote:

heay who is the grl-rider in orange with white stripes and a pony-tail? Just curious

dont be gettin too curious. that grl-rider is my wifey.
wojo
February 1, 2006
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
Quote:

we hit snowbird last wednesday (jan25) where they had plenty of snow, but it had been a few days since any new had fallen. a great day, but was a little crusty by utah standards, and we had to work hard to find any pow. but fortunately it started falling just as we were packing up our gear for the day.

it snowed that night, and we were at solitude the next day (jan26). beautiful blue morning sky, and the report said 2 inches of new snow. that must have been at the base, as we were seeing more like 4 to 6 inches up higher on the mountain. nice light and fluffy everywhere, and absolutely no one there. plenty of powder stashes at solitude, occasionally some scrapy stuff underneath.

friday (jan27) it started snowing early, and by the time we hit the slopes (again at solitude) it was dumping down hard. after an hour or so there was another 6 inches everywhere. the lines under the summit chair were epic! and i am not talking lift lines, as again we were nearly alone. foot deep powder was readily available, all day long. for the first time we hit honeycomb canyon, which was verrry nice.

this was my second year in a row at solitude and again it didnt disappoint. this would have been one of my best powder days ever, if not for last year when it didnt stop snowing all three days we were there.

Spent Friday/Saturday at Brighton, great place, great snow, lots of terrain for everyone. I really enjoyed the lift over the park with all the jumps and tricks.

Sunday at Alta with 10 inches of fresh fresh powder. The variety was great, snow made the tough runs almost easy.

Monday at Snowbird, spent an hour and a half in Mineral Basin in the sun, rest of the day it snowed.

Oh and the bus rides weren't too bad, easy to get on and off, crowded but a with friendly crowd. So many resorts, so little time. Great advice on the canyons and the buses from DC Ski.

I took my a beginner/intermediate and intermediate/advance kids and found more than enough forgiving terrain. I would be happy to convince someone with kids to go. Happy to recommend the Crystal Inn in Midvale, avoid the Midvale Days Inn, switched the rates and refused to honor my reservation!!
kennedy
February 2, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
is Crush down with OPP?
Crush
February 2, 2006
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
Quote:

Quote:

heay who is the grl-rider in orange with white stripes and a pony-tail? Just curious

dont be gettin too curious. that grl-rider is my wifey.

... yo' word! ...

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?