Salomon Pocket Rockets at Willi's in Fairfax
7 posts
4 users
1k+ views
JohnL
January 30, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
I was just at Willi's this past PM, and they have one last set of Salomon Pocket Rockets (last year's model), 165 cm. I believe the cost was about $350 for the skis and something like $440 for skis and bindings. Call Willi's at 703-385-SNOW to confirm details since I don't want to be held liable for misstating any facts. Great skis at a great price. Suitable for a very wide range of ability levels and an outstanding off-piste ski for out West. 165 should be a good ski for lighter males, teenagers, or women.

I ski last year's Pocket Rockets in a 175. Slalom powder skis, they are.
BushwackerinPA
January 31, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
YEah for you timberline skier this would be a great ski, they turn well on enough on packed powder that the off piste ability morethan offset the crappy icey snow performance.

One of the best glade skis i have skied on.(I skied a 175 myself too)
Aaron
February 4, 2006
Member since 01/12/2005 🔗
54 posts
Thanks for tip - if I hadn't just gotten brand new skis this season (line chronics - all mtn. twin tips, pretty similiar to the pocket rockets) I'd be all over these.
BushwackerinPA
February 6, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
actually the chronics are much better on groomed snow, narrower waist and more stiffness. one of the few twins that when I get off my metrons I feel they that dont feel like a noodle.
JohnL
February 6, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Correct, the Pocket Rockets are 90mm+ skis and really aren't made for firm Mid-Atlantic conditions. They are a very good ski for trips out West; they excel off-piste or on ungroomed trails. They are pretty nice on western groomed corduroy, but not as fun as a mid-fat or cross-type ski. It takes a bit of skills adjustment to get deep arcs on the groomed, but once you find the sweet spot, you'll have a lot of fun.

The PRs are passable on firm conditions (groomed or ungroomed.) Yes, it can get pretty icy out West based upon sun exposure, warming, lack of recent snow, etc. Most skiers wouldn't like the Pocket Rockets for those western days, but they have served me well as a one-ski quiver for recent trips out West.
Aaron
February 8, 2006
Member since 01/12/2005 🔗
54 posts
Thanks I didn't realize they were so wide. The reason I got the chronics is because I'm into the park, but I love carving forwards and backwards so a standard noodle twin tip just wouldn't do. I'm going out to willis tonight and I was almost thinking about looking at them, but with the amount of days I get out west it's just not worth it.
comprex
February 9, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

Don't be scared of 90mm waist!

- Very good soft snow/slush point above.

- They can be carved on hardpack!

There were three patrollers on last year's blue ones at Sutton last week.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?