First time visitor to Snowshoe. Any tips?
41 posts
14 users
8k+ views
Wesley_S
January 27, 2006
Member since 01/27/2006 🔗
15 posts
My girlfriend and I are going to Snowshoe Feb. 15-17 and staying at the Inn at the bottom of the mountain. This is more or less a get away for us more than a skiing trip. We're definitely both beginners. I've been skiing a few times and she's never been. I'm going to take a lesson with her.

My question is mostly parking. Where is the best place to park? Also what are some must see places and what is there to do in town?

thx
skier219
January 27, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

My question is mostly parking. Where is the best place to park? Also what are some must see places and what is there to do in town?

If you're staying down at the Inn, leave your car there and take the shuttle to/from the mountain. The only public parking is at the very top of the mountain (Top of the World) and it's not always convenient, especially if you want to get to other parts of the mountain.

There's not much of a town near Snowshoe -- all the action/nightlife is at the resort. Check out the main village area for stuff to do, eating, etc. There are some pretty nice shops and restaurants there. Restaurants will be pricey and hard to get into because of crowds (though you will be OK weeknights). I like Cheat Mtn Pizza.

If this is a getaway and you feel like having a high-quality dining experience, make a reservation at the Red Fox a week or two before you arrive. It's a very highly rated (nationally) restaurant. The Red Fox is located in the Whistlepunk village area.

A must see place is: SILVERCREEK!! Definitely ski there as much as possible (it's on the shuttle route). For green/blue trail skiers, it's probably the best part of Snowshoe. The basin area of Snowshoe gets very crowded (less so on weekdays), but Silver Creek is normally much quieter. I like their trails better too.

Have fun! We'll be up there from Feb 9-12.

Craig
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 27, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Fellow DC Skiers, Help me here. Last time I checked there was not a Snowshoe shuttle running from the Inn at the bottom of the mountain to the Village at the top. Has this changed? IF there is a shuttle running, how often?
Let's make sure that Wesley who requested help gets the best info. We need a recent first hand report.
The Colonel
Taylormatt
January 28, 2006
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
I am booked to go there next week, staying at the Inn. According to their own reservations dept., there is no shuttle to SS from the Inn, I must drive the 6 miles.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Ullr
January 28, 2006
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
You are correct, there is no official shuttle to take you from the Inn to SS. At one time there was a guy who owned a van who would post flyers at the Inn. I think he charged like $10pp a day, and would take you up and back as much as you wanted. You would just have to call him and he would come get you. Now since he was not part of eith SS or the Inn nobody liked to talk about him much.

As far as parking goes, yes the only place is the lot at TOW, it is not that big, and you have to take a shuttle to the slopes (that shuttle is free). My advice get to the mountain early to get a parking spot.

Good luck on your II's Matt..........
skier219
January 28, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Opps, sorry if I gave out bad info regarding the shuttle -- I assumed it covered the Inn too (since it goes everywhere else). That is a dumb policy not to put the Inn on at least one shuttle route. I have a lot of gripes about Snowshoe, but last time we stayed at Silver Creek, the shuttle got us to/from the Western territory in a very timely/convenient manner.

One thing I do know for sure is that you can start skiing right at Top of the World if the appropriate trails are open. Go out the back of the TOW complex and you are about 30' from the slopes. You can either ski right away on Widowmaker, or hop on Flume to ski to the base area. That's what I have done when parking at TOW.

Of course, total beginners would definitely need to shuttle in to the main village for lessons. But anybody who can handle a green trail can put-in right at TOW. Flume is usually open until the end of the season.

BTW, for a little more $$, I would upgrade my reservation to be up on the mountain. If the Inn is not covered by shuttle, than it's even less compelling than I thought. Last time I checked, it was another $20-30 per person, per night, to be up on the mountain slopeside (in Mountain Lodge).

Craig
Wesley_S
January 28, 2006
15 posts
Thanks for the info guys. I never thought parking would be a problem, especially since we're going mid-week but I'm going to check into an upgrade at Mountain Lodge anyway just to see how much more it is. I'll post back what I find out. Thanks again.
kennedy
January 28, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Just to be clear for a first timer. Silver Creek is almost like a seperate mountain. On the road from the Inn to the top you'll pass it first. If you want to ski there you can park there. You can also catch the shuttle from there to the other parts of the mountain although the frequency of the route is iffy. If you want you could park there and rider there, and I guarantee that on weekends the crowds are night and day with Silvercreek being a clear winner. 20 minute lift line at Snowshoe proper? ride right on at Silvercreek.
Wesley_S
January 29, 2006
15 posts
Quote:

Just to be clear for a first timer. Silver Creek is almost like a seperate mountain. On the road from the Inn to the top you'll pass it first. If you want to ski there you can park there. You can also catch the shuttle from there to the other parts of the mountain although the frequency of the route is iffy. If you want you could park there and rider there, and I guarantee that on weekends the crowds are night and day with Silvercreek being a clear winner. 20 minute lift line at Snowshoe proper? ride right on at Silvercreek.

Thanks. Yeah the more I read Silvercreek seems to be the place for us, at least to ski. What about other activites on the mountain like sleding and snow mobiling? Anything else?
kennedy
January 29, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
The tubing is at Silvercreek. Snowmobiling I haven't done because it's pretty expensive.
Roy
January 31, 2006
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
If you park at TOW, you won't need to take a shuttle over to the base area. You can purchase tickets, rent skis, and start your ski day from TOW when that side of the mountain is open. At this time of year, that shouldn't be any problem.
Murphy
January 31, 2006
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

Thanks for the info guys. I never thought parking would be a problem, especially since we're going mid-week but I'm going to check into an upgrade at Mountain Lodge anyway just to see how much more it is. I'll post back what I find out. Thanks again.

I went last year on a Thursday and had no problem parking at TOW or Silver Creek. I arrived 30 minutes after the ropes dropped and TOW was 75% empty. After lunch, we had no problem finding a spot at Silver Creek although it is a bit of a hike if you're not staying at the Silver Creek hotel and can't get into the reserved parking (not too bad though). Crowds were very light everywhere except Ballhooter where it wasn't too bad.

If you're girlfriend is a first timer, I would start at Silver Creek. It would be a pain to get to the lesson area at the Basin if you can't ski Flume from the TOW. It's a very long trail to be stuck on if you find out she's not a natural.

ps If you're renting I'd try and do so before you get to the mountain. Spending an hour in a stinky rental shop is a terrible way to start a day.
kwillg6
January 31, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
First timers....at the shoe....hope the weather cooperates with you. Your situation is not the most desirable especially with staying at the Inn at the base. Although it's less expensive, you are held captive to the requirement of driving up and down the mountain which could be a problem if snowy or foggy. Most of the cool stuff is at the village which is a good 7 miles from where you are staying. I suggest, as most have, to go to silver creek, park there, take the shuttle from there as well. The Red Fox is an excellent recommendation for four/five star dining. Night life is abundant, especially on weekends.
Wesley_S
February 1, 2006
15 posts
Quote:

ps If you're renting I'd try and do so before you get to the mountain. Spending an hour in a stinky rental shop is a terrible way to start a day.

I've already booked and paid for my rentals. They said I pick them up at the base Mountain Outlet. I don't see that on the map. Where is that located?

Oh does anyone know if the Inn has internet access? Also how is cell phone reception? I have verizon btw.
warren
February 2, 2006
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Wesley,
Cell phone reception is VERY spotty. I have Verizon as well and don't get much of a signal if at all. Since I've not stayed at the base in years, I don't know where the base Mountain Outlet is. I do know that right across the street from the Inn there is kind of a strip mall. Maybe it's in there...

-Warren-
kennedy
February 2, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Forget the cell phone for the most part. Besides who the hell do you want to talk to on vacation?? Internet I've no idea. The bonus of the Inn though is the swimming pool and hot tubs.
Murphy
February 2, 2006
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

Quote:

I've already booked and paid for my rentals. They said I pick them up at the base Mountain Outlet. I don't see that on the map. Where is that located?

Oh does anyone know if the Inn has internet access? Also how is cell phone reception? I have verizon btw.

I believe the Base Mountain Outlet is that check-in at the bottom of the hill right as you turn off of 66. It's probably not but a block or two from the Inn. Could be wrong though.

There is a small zone in the village where you have interet access. The problem is not Snowshoe's remoteness but the Greenbank Observatory. They don't want cell phone transmitions screwing up there conversations with aliens. Can't say whether or not there's reception at the base of the mountain.
Wesley_S
February 2, 2006
15 posts
Quote:

Wesley,
Cell phone reception is VERY spotty. I have Verizon as well and don't get much of a signal if at all. Since I've not stayed at the base in years, I don't know where the base Mountain Outlet is. I do know that right across the street from the Inn there is kind of a strip mall. Maybe it's in there...

-Warren-

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I have to somehow keep connected with work. Whether it's cell or internet access. Maybe I can truly have an actual "vacation" finally

I didn't think cell phone access was going to be great. I take an ATV trip twice a year in Gilbert, WV and it barely works there.

Now for my newbie question. If the Base Mountain Outlet is at the bottom of the mountain. I obviously will have to take my skis to the top. We don't have a ski rack so will this be a problem sticking the skis inside a honda civic?
bassfish
February 2, 2006
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
13 posts
Hehe Get creative with the skis, maybe bunge em to the top if you have to, or lay the back seat down or something. The base mountian rental shop is across from the Inn @ SS and down a couple of blocks. There are a few rental shops along that drive so just keep an eye out. And just so you know the In @ SS isnt that bad, I stayed there a couple of years ago. The Hot tub is awesome along with a nice indoor pool. We also had a nice time sitting at the cozy bar area in there. Also we didnt have any issues parking at TOW if you decide to drive up there if you get bored at SC.

enjoy your trip!
Wesley_S
February 2, 2006
15 posts
Quote:

Hehe Get creative with the skis, maybe bunge em to the top if you have to, or lay the back seat down or something. The base mountian rental shop is across from the Inn @ SS and down a couple of blocks. There are a few rental shops along that drive so just keep an eye out. And just so you know the In @ SS isnt that bad, I stayed there a couple of years ago. The Hot tub is awesome along with a nice indoor pool. We also had a nice time sitting at the cozy bar area in there. Also we didnt have any issues parking at TOW if you decide to drive up there if you get bored at SC.

enjoy your trip!

Thanks bassfish. Yeah this trip for us is mostly a "getaway" more than an official ski trip. We just completed a corporate move so I'm totally burned and this was a whim of a moment decision. I just called up and booked a few days. You guys have definitely been helpful.
TOMF
February 2, 2006
Member since 11/17/2003 🔗
60 posts
I carry skis in my Civic. I just flip down one of the back seats, creating an opening to the trunk. I then put the skis in the trunk, extending into the rear passenger area. I've found that I can even do this with two passengers and three pairs of skis, poles, and boots.

Tom
Wesley_S
February 2, 2006
15 posts
Quote:

I carry skis in my Civic. I just flip down one of the back seats, creating an opening to the trunk. I then put the skis in the trunk, extending into the rear passenger area. I've found that I can even do this with two passengers and three pairs of skis, poles, and boots.

Tom

I didn't even think to ask at the time but since I've already paid for the rentals for my time there. Do I have to turn in the skis each day or will they just let me keep them?
skier219
February 2, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
You can keep the rentals with you the whole time.

Craig
Wesley_S
February 2, 2006
15 posts
Quote:

You can keep the rentals with you the whole time.

Craig

Great! Thanks.

Ok the only thing I wanted to buy but didn't know if it was necessary was ski socks. I have everything else. I do really need "ski" socks? Or do you guys have any other recommendations? Also what do you guys normally wear under your ski pants/bibs? I was planning on just wearing some thermals and jeans under my ski pants.
kennedy
February 2, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
If your back seat folds flat the'll fit no problem
snowcone
February 2, 2006
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Who did you book thru? Intrawest reservations? If so you could ask for an upgrade .. gonna cost you more but if you must remain in touch its your only option. Ask for a room on the West side of Rimfire, preferably on the 3rd or 4th floor. If they have a studio [full kitchens] available you might be able to save the difference by eating in the condo. Juniors studios have a small sink, fridge and nuker so that might work for you also.

Try this number : (866) 572-6957 ... if it goes to voice mail, leave message with your problem and phone. Be -really nice- and I'm sure Sheila will help you if she can.

Good luck!
Ullr
February 2, 2006
532 posts
Quote:

Ok the only thing I wanted to buy but didn't know if it was necessary was ski socks. I have everything else. I do really need "ski" socks? Or do you guys have any other recommendations?

Since you just had a corporate move, you must have a pair of black dress socks (silk if possible). Thin so the boots fit nice, not cotton so your feet won't stay wet and if they are silk they will slide nicely in and out of your boots! Just thermals under the ski pants, no jeans.
Wesley_S
February 2, 2006
15 posts
Quote:

Quote:

Ok the only thing I wanted to buy but didn't know if it was necessary was ski socks. I have everything else. I do really need "ski" socks? Or do you guys have any other recommendations?

Cool. Yes I have many pair of black/brown dress type socks. I was curious about the light/medium type padding the "ski" socks have. It's been about 4 years since I've been but I remember the boots being somewhat rough on the top of my foot, i.e. pinch.

When I say thermals I mean "long john" type thermals. Like Hanes from Wallyworld. You mean the same thing?

Since you just had a corporate move, you must have a pair of black dress socks (silk if possible). Thin so the boots fit nice, not cotton so your feet won't stay wet and if they are silk they will slide nicely in and out of your boots! Just thermals under the ski pants, no jeans.

skier219
February 2, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Avoid cotton at all costs, not even your underwear if you can help it. Thinner ski socks are better. I wear the thinnest poly socks I can find. Cotton will trap moisture and make you cold/clammy. Almost everyone sweats when they ski, even in cold weather, and it's important to wear layers that will wick and/or dissipate the moisture. Cotton just traps it near your skin and then you will get cold and uncomfortable.

Generally I go with thermals under my ski pants and that's enough.

If you hide jeans under your ski pants, we'll still like you, but it's kind of an inside joke with most skiers I know. Probably because at some point in our lives, we all skied with jeans on and suffered the consequences. At best they are restrictive, at worst they will drink up water if you crash/fall on wet snow and your outer layer is not waterproof. When I see someone skiing in wet/frozen jeans as their outer layer, I truly feel sorry for them!! That's an uncomfortable feeling for sure.
Wesley_S
February 2, 2006
15 posts
Quote:

Avoid cotton at all costs, not even your underwear if you can help it. Thinner ski socks are better. I wear the thinnest poly socks I can find. Cotton will trap moisture and make you cold/clammy. Almost everyone sweats when they ski, even in cold weather, and it's important to wear layers that will wick and/or dissipate the moisture. Cotton just traps it near your skin and then you will get cold and uncomfortable.

Generally I go with thermals under my ski pants and that's enough.

If you hide jeans under your ski pants, we'll still like you, but it's kind of an inside joke with most skiers I know. Probably because at some point in our lives, we all skied with jeans on and suffered the consequences. At best they are restrictive, at worst they will drink up water if you crash/fall on wet snow and your outer layer is not waterproof. When I see someone skiing in wet/frozen jeans as their outer layer, I truly feel sorry for them!! That's an uncomfortable feeling for sure.

I guess my biggest worry was being cold in general. I never thought just thermals would be good enough to keep warm under the ski pants/bibs. So several pair of thin dress socks are suitable or just one pair?
Rich
February 2, 2006
Member since 11/30/2000 🔗
194 posts
LOL the only way you'll be connected by cell phone in WV is if you stay in Petersburg or Moorefield...the only 2 cells between Front Royal and Snowshoe! If skiing is important then have fun. If work is that important - stay in the office!
warren
February 2, 2006
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Wesley,
Obviously, it depends on your tolerance for cold. I always put one more layer (or heavier) than my friend does. To echo everyone though, light, wicking layers are the key. I wear running tights (polypro), if it's colder, I'll wear Duofold thermals over the tights under my ski pants (unlined). On top, I generally wear a wicking top (wickers running, duofold, etc), and a Patagonia snap-T fleece under my shell. Don't forget your hands. Fleece under-gloves and then a Goretex outer glove or mitten. I have REI Goretex ice-climbing outer-mittens. I've stayed comfortable in these to below zero.

-Warren-
Wesley_S
February 2, 2006
15 posts
Quote:

Wesley,
Obviously, it depends on your tolerance for cold. I always put one more layer (or heavier) than my friend does. To echo everyone though, light, wicking layers are the key. I wear running tights (polypro), if it's colder, I'll wear Duofold thermals over the tights under my ski pants (unlined). On top, I generally wear a wicking top (wickers running, duofold, etc), and a Patagonia snap-T fleece under my shell. Don't forget your hands. Fleece under-gloves and then a Goretex outer glove or mitten. I have REI Goretex ice-climbing outer-mittens. I've stayed comfortable in these to below zero.

-Warren-

Ah. Something like this?
Orage Distand Pants

or

Running Tights

or

These

I'm sure with the proper attire you keep plenty warm. I have several drifit type shirts. Both shortsleeve. My shell has a fleece liner so this should be ok for the top.
Ullr
February 2, 2006
532 posts
I always go thin.

It can be cold there, but not that cold!

It's West Virginia, not Pluto...................
Wesley_S
February 2, 2006
15 posts
Quote:

I always go thin.

It can be cold there, but not that cold!

It's West Virginia, not Pluto...................

Ha. I thought that was thin but guess not. How about these
skier219
February 2, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

So several pair of thin dress socks are suitable or just one pair?

You should always wear a single pair of thin socks in ski boots -- thick socks or too many socks will create a poor fit and lead to discomfort, perhaps even circulation probs. All insulation comes from the boot liner, and the sock is just there as a wicking layer.
Wesley_S
February 2, 2006
15 posts
Quote:

Quote:

So several pair of thin dress socks are suitable or just one pair?

You should always wear a single pair of thin socks in ski boots -- thick socks or too many socks will create a poor fit and lead to discomfort, perhaps even circulation probs. All insulation comes from the boot liner, and the sock is just there as a wicking layer.

Gotcha! Thanks.
Wesley_S
February 8, 2006
15 posts
I just checked the weather and obviously it changes by the minute. But it's calling for mid-40s and mostly cloudy. How's this fair for skiing weather?
Rich
February 8, 2006
194 posts
Where did you check that - Elkins or actually Snowshoe? It's 26 degrees there right now...will be low in the teens for the next 5 days, snow tomorrow and blowing every day. Check out the DCSki Homepage and its weathercast for Snowshoe.
Today
Cloudy
High 32. Low 14. Good snowmaking conditions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday
Partly sunny and breezy
High 25. Low 11. It will be a cold day at the slopes - bundle up! Ideal snowmaking conditions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday
Snow showers; very cold
High 32. Low 20. Good snowmaking conditions.

Saturday
Very cold with flurries
High 28. Low 12. It will be a cold day at the slopes - bundle up! Ideal snowmaking conditions.

Sunday
Partly sunny, flurries
High 24. Low 12.
Wesley_S
February 8, 2006
15 posts
Quote:

Where did you check that - Elkins or actually Snowshoe? It's 26 degrees there right now...will be low in the teens for the next 5 days, snow tomorrow and blowing every day. Check out the DCSki Homepage and its weathercast for Snowshoe.

Today
Cloudy
High 32. Low 14. Good snowmaking conditions.

Thursday
Partly sunny and breezy
High 25. Low 11. It will be a cold day at the slopes - bundle up! Ideal snowmaking conditions.

Friday
Snow showers; very cold
High 32. Low 20. Good snowmaking conditions.

Saturday
Very cold with flurries
High 28. Low 12. It will be a cold day at the slopes - bundle up! Ideal snowmaking conditions.

Sunday
Partly sunny, flurries
High 24. Low 12.

Sorry. I'm going 2/15-2/17.
Rich
February 8, 2006
194 posts
I remember you asking about Internet Access. Yes...just go into the Starbucks in the Village....they have it. The Green Banks Radio Observatory interfers with cell phones. Some brands, like Cingular Wireless do work however...just depends on your provider, some do, some don't. And, be prepared for COLD.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?