t-line snow report 1-27
7 posts
5 users
kwillg6
January 27, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
It seems that every time that I view the t-line snow report, half of the advanced, non snow making runs are closed regardless of the natural snowfall. I know, and a lot of others know that the recent dump would have provided more than enough coverage for silverstreak, thunderdraft and the like to be skiable. Today's report shows lightening and the drop being closed, but I imagine that there is snow making on both of those trails. Still, the mystery lingers. Last year, they(meaning ski patrol) kept the drop closed, after an overnight dump, until the rustys skied it into crud. I wonder if this is the case today or is the report just inaccurate?
bassfish
January 27, 2006
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
13 posts
Was up there yestuday Lightning was closed had the snow guns running almost all day and night. Thunder Draft was closed but not buy much, only one of the small orange sings with the closed sign. Clearly skiable tho, as the day went on you could see at quite a few runs had gone down, We decided to chance it and Road it too. It wasnt bad but I think the bigest problem is there are thin areas of snow and other areas of solid ice, and without snowmaking on Thunderdraft (at least not uppper). As for the rest of the mountian its in pretty good shape.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 27, 2006
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
It appears they are taking advantage of the cold weather to build base on some of their signature slopes like WL.
JohnL
January 27, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Timberline seems to be a lot more agressive with their snowmaking this year. I'll get a chance to check it out myself next weekend.
jimmy
January 30, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
JohnL, u goin on a whaling expedition? Spent some time with THE whales this weekend; they were asking about you .

Shave the whales!
JohnL
January 30, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Jimmy,

I'll be playing Ahab this upcoming weekend (Super Bowl weekend.)

Any comments on the conditions at T-Line this past weekend? Hopefully the valley will get minimial (if any) NCP this week.
jimmy
January 30, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
John, they made snow Wednesday through Friday morning. The base looks good, one run through Glade Runner Thursday, rolled a rock over, Izor said no more trees. The drop was closed fri, sat, sun for the college race, OTW was showing minor bare spots on skiers right Sunday afternoon but still very skiable . The heavy niar predicted for sunday turned out to be a 2 hour shower. A day I was ready to scratch turned out to be the best day of "spring" skiing so far this year. Looks like the weather will be good down there this week. Have Fun!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?