OOOTAH trip report
10 posts
9 users
1k+ views
POWPOW
January 26, 2006
Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
Skied last fri at alta after big dump, snowed all day sat and skied Da Bird, Skied Da Bird Sun & mon morning before flying back. last two days did alot of backcountry accesed through the top of Gad chair at snowbird. Deep everyday . couldnt ask for more snow, better weather than what we got.
32 days so far this year. WAHOOO!
2 more big trips to go. Fernie BC for 10 days in feb and back to SLC for 5 days end of march.

Utah Video
David
January 26, 2006
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Awesome!! A little narration and I would think I was watching a Warren Miller flick. It looks like your trip was great. I wish we could get a little more powder like that around here.
Swimmer
January 26, 2006
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
143 posts
for you BC access...you cruising with buddies? Avy gear? Have you found a place to rent a beacon or do you own one? Guide service?

I'd love to get behind the boundaries out west but I don't have the connections...any suggestions outside of paying for a guide?

Steve
MadMonk
January 26, 2006
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
Excellent video.
POWPOW
January 26, 2006
Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
Quote:

for you BC access...you cruising with buddies? Avy gear? Have you found a place to rent a beacon or do you own one? Guide service?

I'd love to get behind the boundaries out west but I don't have the connections...any suggestions outside of paying for a guide?

Steve

Yeah i have all the equip( beacon,probe,shovel). I always either go with someone or ill wait at the trailhead and go with someone that shows up(the wasatch is like a big park, there are tons of people there). From the top of the Gad 2 chair at snowbird you can sign in with patrol and they check your equip and off you go through the BC access point to lots of area. I have taken Avi I course and i would suggest that as a min or go with others who understand safe travel routes and avi hazards as well as rescue.
There are some really good guides in the wasatch area ,exum probably being the best that will take you everywhere through the mtns. They also have a interconnect tour that you ski 1-2 runs at each area and cut down the backsides to another area. Deer valley to parkcity to brighton to solitude to alta then to snowbird and they shuttle you back after the day. your with a guide all day and they provide beacons.
BushwackerinPA
January 26, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Nice freeHelling
Roger Z
January 26, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Best damn ski trip report I've ever seen on this site.
fishnski
January 26, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
I just have lame dial up...but what I saw & all this talk lately of Utah has got me Jonesin for another trip out west. I got beat on My one & only trip west to Vail/Beaver ck.Never saw a flake all week.Mashed potatoes is what they called the snow.Too busy with my new place this year at canaan...maybe next year...your trip report might have just cost me a few grand..THANKS
Crush
January 26, 2006
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,274 posts
Swimmer - Orthovox makes a nice package of beeper (international freq), shovel and probe for around $300 I think .. I bought it at Colesports here in Park City but I bet you can get it too somewhere or online perhaps. I like owning mine ... I get the nice warm feeling that its well cared for.
jimmy
January 29, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
OOOTAH POWPOW over the top report, thanks. We need to get you a helicopter, 32 DAYS, i'm not the only one who'll be available for werk come april??

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?