More of Corrodor H is Open
7 posts
4 users
1k+ views
TOMF
November 17, 2003
Member since 11/17/2003 🔗
60 posts
Four more miles of Corridor H were opened over the weekend! Westbound, the new section runs from the old terminus to an interchange about 3 miles east of Moorefield. It replaces what was probably the worst section of Route 55 with respect to switchbacks and curves. There are now 13 miles of Corridor H open between Baker and Moorefield. I drove on the new section yesterday. It took me about 4 hours to get from Cass (about 10 minutes east of Snowshoe) to the Route 7 exit from I-66 at Tyson's Corner. I was driving about 7 miles over the speed limit on the open highway and at the speed limit in the towns.

[This message has been edited by TOMF (edited 11-17-2003).]

[This message has been edited by TOMF (edited 11-17-2003).]

warren
November 17, 2003
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Tom,
What was the actual route that you took? The last I went to Snowshoe (for the Blues and Brews festival) I used rt 33 to 28 to 66 (then the new back entrance). I'm not sure what route number(s) are incorporated in corridor H.

Thanks,
-Warren-

TOMF
November 17, 2003
60 posts
Take a look at John's "Country Roads" article of Oct. 24. In it, he discusses all the different possible routes to/from ski areas in WV. The route that I took yesterday state route 66 east out of Cass, 28/92 to Bartow, 28/33 to Seneca Rocks, 28/55 to Moorefield, 55/Corridor H to Strasburg, and I-81/I-66 to Tyson's. To get from Snowshoe to Cass you take the new back road to state route 66 and then turn east.
JohnL
November 17, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
>> It took me about 4 hours to get from Cass (about 10 minutes east of Snowshoe) to the Route 7 exit from I-66 at Tyson's Corner

Four hours from Cass to Tysons; that's a pretty impressive time. Before the new road section was opened, how long did it take you under similar driving conditions?

TOMF
November 18, 2003
60 posts
I've made that drive about 50 times and that was about my shortest time. But I don't attribute that to the 4 additional miles of Corridor H. Realistically, the additional new freeway miles could only have saved me a few minutes--less than 5. My trip on Sunday was short because of good daytime driving conditions, light traffic, and only one 5-minute stop--for gas. Normally, I would tack a restroom/coffee break onto my stop for gas, as well as a stop for a sandwich at the Subway in Moorefield. Those would add half an hour. Also, when I have passengers I drive about 5 miles per hour slower because I don't like to hear them suck in their breaths when I pull out to pass a car on a two-lane road. That adds another 20 minutes to the trip. So a more typical drive time for me between Tyson's and Cass is bit less than 5 hours. Toss in another hour or more if there is congestion on I-66 or snow-covered roads in WV.
Norsk
November 24, 2003
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
TOMF, is the new westbound terminus of Corr H now down in the valley just outside of (east of) Moorefield? Also, could you tell whether any of the section between Wardensville and Baker might be nearing opening? Original WVDOT plan was not until fall 04 for the latter section, but since they opened some of the route early last winter, one can hope...
TOMF
November 24, 2003
60 posts
You take old route 55 east out of Moorefield and then climb up to a ridge above the town where there is an industrial park and training facility. Continuing east, 55 drops down off of the ridge and down into a valley where you pick up Corridor H eastbound. That is about 3 miles outside of town. Ihey are working hard on the Baker to Wardensville section of the road. The Corridor H web site (http://www.wvcorridorh.com/) gives the same Fall 2004 projected opening date for that section that you mentioned.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.