61 posts
22 users
13k+ views
tgd
January 24, 2006
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
GARRETT-PRESTON-TUCKER-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OAKLAND MD...GRANTSVILLE...KINGWOOD...
TERRA ALTA...PARSONS...DAVIS...THOMAS
330 AM EST TUE JAN 24 2006

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH
WEDNESDAY EVENING....
A STRONG COLD FRONT WILL MOVE ACROSS THE REGION LATER TODAY
BRINGING MUCH COLDER AIR AND STRONG WINDS TO THE REGION. SNOW
WILL DEVELOP THIS EVENING WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 10 INCHES
POSSIBLE BY WEDNESDAY EVENING...MAINLY IN HIGHER ELEVATIONS.
WINDS OF 20 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 40 MPH WILL CAUSE BLOWING AND
DRIFTING SNOW WITH VISIBILITIES BELOW ONE QUARTER MILE AT TIMES.

All praise to Andy for keeping the faith.... I shall not think bad thoughts.
hockeydave
January 24, 2006
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
The following Watch is for Somerset Co. (7S, HV)

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING.

A STRONG COLD FRONT WILL SWEEP ACROSS THE REGION THIS EVENING. THIS WILL BE ACCOMPANIED BY NUMEROUS SNOW SHOWERS...ALTHOUGH SOME RAIN COULD BE MIXED IN INITIALLY. SOME OF THESE SNOW SHOWERS MAY BE LOCALLY HEAVY...AND COULD PRODUCE A QUICK INCH OR TWO OF ACCUMULATION BEFORE MIDNIGHT.

AS COLDER AIR TRAVERSES THE RELATIVELY WARMER GREAT LAKES LATER TONIGHT...ADDITIONAL SNOW SHOWERS AND EMBEDDED HEAVIER SNOW SQUALLS WILL DEVELOP AFTER MIDNIGHT. THESE SNOW SHOWERS AND SQUALLS WILL THEN PERSIST INTO MUCH OF WEDNESDAY. ADDITIONAL LOCALIZED SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 8 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE MORE PERSISTENT SNOW SHOWERS AND SQUALLS LATER TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY. THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL WILL LIKELY OCCUR ACROSS HIGHER...WEST FACING RIDGETOPS.

IN ADDITION...STRONG NORTHWEST WINDS WILL DEVELOP LATE TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY...WITH SPEEDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH...AND OCCASIONAL GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH POSSIBLE. THIS WILL CREATE CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW LATE TONIGHT AND MUCH OF WEDNESDAY. IN PARTICULAR...HIGHER RIDGETOPS MAY HAVE VISIBILITIES REDUCED TO UNDER ONE QUARTER OF A MILE AT TIMES...CREATING HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS.

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW OR ICE ACCUMULATION THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. IF HEAVY SNOW BECOMES IMMINENT...A WINTER STORM WARNING WILL BE ISSUED.

If anybody will be travelling in this, stay safe.
snowcone
January 24, 2006
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
If you have an account on EasternWx [if you don't, try anyway] ... lookie here!! .. predicting 11-13" for WV mountains! http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?showtopic=79938 OH YEAH! It's about time.
jimmy
January 24, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

All praise to Andy for keeping the faith.... I shall not think bad thoughts.

Who's leaving when?
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Eug
January 24, 2006
Member since 03/3/2005 🔗
142 posts
We are leaving Friday afternoon and hopefully skiing in Timberline by noon time on Sat. Sunday in Canann. Yeah, we normally get to the slopes around noon time. We are not exactly 'early morning' people...

Anybody else going?
fishnski
January 24, 2006
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
All praise be to ALLAH!...I'm going to try to find some Al Queda around here to wish a devastating snowstorm on the DC area ,sort of like they did with Katrina & New Orleans. I think I'll try at our local "country" store...seems to be some potential there!
tgd
January 24, 2006
585 posts
Just put some awesome snow tires on my truck, and thinking about heading up Wednesday night - might have to wait until Thursday afternoon though. I'll make the call tomorrow AM. Either way, we're there until Monday.
kwillg6
January 24, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
AW shucks!!! I'll miss the fresh pow-pow, but there should be enough left for the weekend. See you on Saturday. Can't wait to try my new boards, Rossi Zenith Z9 oversize TPI's!
jimmy
January 24, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Sounds like a white out, i'll get into the valley Thursday morning.

"Chasin Flake"
warren
January 24, 2006
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Jimmy,
Well, I'll be at the 'Shoe' this weekend since my daughter is out of school Friday and Monday. Let's all think them happy snow thoughts I'm doing my snow dances right now (boy, are my office mates staring at me kinda funny like )

-Warren-
BushwackerinPA
January 24, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Notice the quaility very dry yippie, wonder how much the laurels will get.
fishnski
January 24, 2006
3,530 posts
Anyone notice how Timberline gets their webcam fixed just in time for the snow?...NWS just bumped the totals another inch..7 to 12...12,12,12,12!!
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 24, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
The two weather reports (links posted below) both discuss the probability of a cold snowy February and March for the mid-Atlantic ski areas.
REJOICE
The Colonel
http://www.skiingweatherman.com/weather.php
http://www.skisoutheast.com/article.php?...amp;article=823
Roger Z
January 24, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
This was an interesting comment from the post on the SkiNC site:

"When you keep in mind that most every single weather nut considers SNOW as one of the most exciting ingredients then you can understand it when they tend to push forecasts towards more snow than might actually happen. Also most of their viewers want snow and they don't want to disappoint."

Oh really?? Will someone pass this piece of demographic info on to EVERY STINKING WEATHERMAN IN DC AND THE STATE OF VIRGINIA???!!!??? Let's recap what EVERY STINKING WEATHERMAN IN DC AND THE STATE OF VIRGINIA says when snowfall turns out less than expected, or it rains. "Whew, we dodged a close one there folks and thank goodness it's gonna warm up over the next few days!"

Fire them all. I want the happy snow freaks feeding me lies all winter long.
jimmy
January 24, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Steady Higgins, they're all jerks wife won't let me watch the local weather guy but winter returns, Mounties beat UCLA, freshies thursday life is good. Over and out. Anybody checked the hole in the layer lately?
fishnski
January 24, 2006
3,530 posts
I used to get sick & mad at the DC weather people when all they ever mentioned usually was "Flurries" in the Mtns.This was after i would get a call from friends in davis telling me it was DUMPING!..I used to call them at the stations & harass them into mentioning Canaan Valley & tuckerCo..so much so that Doug Hill yelled at me to go buy some land in friggin Tucker CO...which is what i did! Topper Shut was a nicer guy & actually was surprised that the area recieved that much snow.He called Canaan Valley ski area to confirm & actually did a piece on the valley on 1 of his shows. Sue Palka was very sweet but gullable..I'd tell her a foot fell (when only a couple of inches fell) & she would post the info on her show....the good ole days! Looks like the storm started in canaan right on time at around 730 this eve!
Mountain Masher
January 24, 2006
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
I haven't found Herb, the Skiing Weatherman to be particularly accurate with his long-range forecasts and trends. I'm going with the NOAA outlook, which is calling for a mild Feb.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
January 24, 2006
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Quite frankly I haven't found any long range forcasts that are accurate. I have noticed that the forcasts are not really very accurate until you get 2 - 4 days out. I'm no weather expert, but as soon as those storms started pounding the west coast, I knew that our little December winter wonderland was coming to an end. It seems that these patterns last for 3 - 4 weeks and then a new pattern takes over. The skiing weatherman, I believe loves skiing the way we do and thus his forecasts are sometimes contaminated with wishful thinking. However, I think he's more accurate than NOAA many times, because he has made predicting winter weather his obsession. I predict that the pattern will change as he says, but let's face it, the period of winter that was supposed to be the coldest is over. I just hope that we have another March like last year.
BushwackerinPA
January 25, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
well Hidden Valley has 5 inches of snow so far as of 7:40 AM, I am driving up to sample in alittle bit.

The thunder white out in the burgh last nigth was really cool, and its still snowing in the burgh albeit with much less accumulation.
kennedy
January 25, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I was happy to just see a flurry here in Fairfax. Started turning the ground white for a minute or two.
jonjon
January 25, 2006
Member since 04/2/2004 🔗
70 posts
Already over 6" (probably approaching 7") in our area and still snowing heavily. Looks like I'm taking the day off
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 25, 2006
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
WG is reporting 4 so far at 0800.
tgd
January 25, 2006
585 posts
Dave Lasher reports 5.6" at his weather station in Canaan Heights as of 7AM:

Canaan Valley Weather Station

Timberline web cam looks like a white-out!
jimmy
January 25, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

I haven't found Herb, the Skiing Weatherman to be particularly accurate with his long-range forecasts and trends. I'm going with the NOAA outlook, which is calling for a mild Feb.

Whatever makes you happy . I'll be skiing freshies tomorrow, that's what makes me happy .
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Roger Z
January 25, 2006
2,181 posts
Geez, Jimmy, you just made me think of the old Sheryl Crow song, which seems like it could serve as an anthem for MM:

"If it makes you happy/it can't be that bad
If it makes you happy/then why am I so sad?"

jimmy
January 25, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hey Zee, you just busted 900 posts, <a moment of silence....................>

You really need to ski more . I got a new secret weapon to try out at Tline tomorrow, details at eleven.
bassfish
January 25, 2006
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
13 posts
WOOOT! I starting coming down with a real bad cough today, Ill be packing up the truck tonight and leaving real early in the morning for hopefully some powder at T-Line as well! Welcome back old man winter!

bass
fishnski
January 25, 2006
3,530 posts
The 6 to 10" F-cast was wrong..more like a foot or more! At 7am this morn the Hydro report for canaan was 6" Its snowed good all day & now the NWS has added a few more inches thruout to nite..3 to 5 to be exact. I posted a couple of days ago that i was sure that there was to be some powder tomorrow morn, but that it wouldn't be knee deep Utah stuff......Was i wrong also??
tgd
January 26, 2006
585 posts
West Virginia road conditions as of 6AM - everyone be careful if you're headin' up and keep the rubber side down:

WV 92
White Sulphur Springs north to the Pocahontas county line

Road is Snow Covered with Icy Spots

WV 92 -WV 39
Pocahontas county line north to Marlinton

Road is Snow Covered

US 219
I-64 north to Droop

Road is Snow Covered with Icy Spots

Droop north thru Marlinton to Snowshoe

Road is Snow Covered

Elkins south to Snowshoe

Road is Snow Covered

US 33
Elkins to Harman

Road is Snow Covered

WV 32
Harman north to Canaan Valley

Road is Snow Covered
BushwackerinPA
January 26, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Hidden Valley by the time i left last night had alot of blowning but it was possiable to ski knee deep snow at some points. The parking lots had about 10 inch in them and didnt seem to get alot of blown snow.....but it snowed another 2 inches at my house in the burgh from the time I got home to this morning..probably alot more up there.

Conditions will be much better the next couple days thats for sure, if you can get up to the western resorts, DO IT!
fishnski
January 26, 2006
3,530 posts
Thats right..INCORRECT..on the F-cast!.I remember reading the weather discusion before the event where they were saying the NAM model was blown out of proportion with its 13 inch prognosis, while the GFS model had a better handle with it going for a 7 inch total....well here it is at 8am still snowing,my best guess is 16'" at Canaan Vly (so far!) While Whitegrass is saying 14 to 24....the 24 must be on Mount porte crayon! Not a bad way to end what accuweather is reporting as the warmest Jan on record....we have survived!!!! ..PS this was relativley warm for a clipper type snow...the water content in what has fallen would probably be the same as a 30" dump in Utah...just a guess
tgd
January 26, 2006
585 posts
Yep... check the Whitegrass report.
http://www.whitegrass.com/report.html

15.3 inches according to Dave Lesher's at Canaan Hts.
http://canaanweather.4t.com/
Roger Z
January 26, 2006
2,181 posts
Wow, this storm pulled out a good wallop. Winterplace reported 5 inches of freshies, which is pretty good for down here. There's a chance for another one after this weekend. Saturday should actually be a decent day for the local ski areas for a change- mild weather and fresh snow. Might be time to start calling up friends for a trip to Winterplace or Wintegreen...

With Whitegrass reporting 96 inches of snow on the year, it should be noted that snowwise, we've had much worse winters than this. I remember the first time we went to CV in the mid-80s, Whitegrass used to keep it's snow history on the wall. I think 82-83 they recorded 57 inches of total snowfall, and I know just a few years back (00-01?) they got 71 inches. This won't go down as the type of winter anyone wants, but it could have been worse... think if that cold weather hadn't hit in December!
tommo
January 26, 2006
303 posts
Quote:

...think if that cold weather hadn't hit in December!

Ahhhh, but it DID! And that early, solid base is what's made this a terrific year at the downhill areas. And, even for XC, it's been average to better than average already, with 2 months still go go! As someone said earlier - get out there and ski 'cause it don't get any better than this
bawalker
January 26, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
That is the one thing about owning your own business that I have discovered. Alot of times throughout the year I can getup and go with time and ability to spare to make it to the slopes. Then there are days like today when customers need something done asap when there is a powder day everywhere... and I'm stuck here. :-s
BushwackerinPA
January 26, 2006
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
fishnski
January 26, 2006
3,530 posts
Hey Roger,82-83 was Whitegass's 1st year in operation.On their website they claim 01-02 with only 85"'s was their worst season ever.( ck Snowfall Records link)the next worse year was 92"'s...On Jan 31 1977 there was a 68" snow cover at the valley floor.Anybody remember that year...COLD..I think the bay froze over!
January 26, 2006
1,986 posts
http://www.whitegrass.com/report.html

Chip is known for his brutal honesty, so this report is credible.
Roger Z
January 26, 2006
2,181 posts
Hmmmm... maybe they tracked snowfall differently back then. I distinctly remember seeing 57 inches on their annual tally board. Oh well. Anyway, yes, there have been worse winters is the main point.
Mountain Masher
January 26, 2006
541 posts
Keep in mind that the TOTAL snowfall received thus far this season is not the important statistic. It's the amount of natural snow CURRENTLY on the ground at CV that's important. And I would venture to say that the current natural snow base at CV is one of the lowest recorded for this time of year. After all, we're currently in the "dead of Winter", which runs from Jan. 10 to Feb. 10 and represents the coldest period (in any given year) lasting a duration of one month. During a normal Winter in CV, the snow base continues to build up over time and by late Jan. should be approx. 30 inches plus in most places. Most of the snows received earlier in the season were washed out and therefore, did not become a factor in building-up a long-term snow base. So, the total snowfall statistic for the season in CV (thus far) is somewhat misleading because it doesn't tell the whole story.

On the plus side, it's starting to look like Feb. might be a pretty good snow month for CV. Not a whole lot of really cold air, but cold enough for lots of snow. On the other hand, some of the lower elevation and close-in ski areas might not fare nearly as well, given that the daytime temps are likely to be relatively mild.
tommo
January 26, 2006
303 posts
Quote:

the current natural snow base at CV is one of the lowest recorded for this time of year.... During a normal Winter in CV, the snow base continues to build up over time and by late Jan. should be approx. 30 inches plus in most places.

While I agree that we have had a mild spell, it is far from unusual. Moreover, to say that in a "normal" winter the snowbase builds continuously and should be 30 inches in the valley at the end of January is utterly ridiculus. On the contrary, most years see periods of snow and then complete melt downs, most typically due to rain. Anyone who pursues XC skiing is most familiar with this cycle, both in WV and through most of New England. This can easily be seen by checking temperature and rainfall records or by looking at historical river gauge information. Heck, I've paddled the Stony River/North Branch more in Jan and Feb than any other time of the year. And, while I can't prove it, I'm quite sure that in 30 years of going to the Sods and CV regularly in winter, the number of times we've been unable to go XC skiing easily equal the number of times we can, at least until Chip started putting in his snow fences. Another example is the Blackwater sled run - it runs at best for half of the winter.

But I agree that things are looking decent for the next few weeks!
January 26, 2006
1,986 posts
Sorry Jimmy, but you have some catching up to do..

Roger Z
Reged: 01/16/04
Loc: Blacksburg, VA
Roger Z
January 26, 2006
2,181 posts
Quote:

During a normal Winter in CV, the snow base continues to build up over time and by late Jan. should be approx. 30 inches plus in most places.

HA HA HA HA!!! WRONG. Since I've been skiing out there for 15 years, I can attest that there have been plenty of winters with no or little snow in late January. And, just so we don't have to resort to our personal opinions on this matter, I'd like to provide YOU with a little objectivity for a change:

http://cirrus.dnr.state.sc.us/cgi-bin/sercc/cliMAIN.pl?wv1393

From 1948 to 1996- that includes 32 years that predate the warmer temperatures that began (in general) in 1980- the average snowdepth in January in Canaan Valley is 7 inches. SEVEN, not 30.

And in case you want to argue that the snow depth by the end of January "should be approx." 30 inches, even if the average for the entire month is only seven inches, here's another graph for you:

http://cirrus.dnr.state.sc.us/cgi-bin/sercc/cliFD2rec.pl?wv1393

As you can see, again, looking at a 50 year running average, the deepest daily snowfall depth doesn't even occur in January. It occurs in February, and barely tops out at 10 inches. In January, the average depth at the end of the month is around 8 inches.

So let's sum this up. You just said that "should be approx." 30 inches in "most places" and it is obvious that you are referring to Canaan Valley. But the statistical records kept for almost 50 years show the end of January average is actually around 8 inches, not 30. So you're off by almost a factor of FOUR, Eminem. And on top of that, since there's between 16 and 24 inches of snow on the ground RIGHT NOW, the snowpack is about 2 to 3 times deeper than the AVERAGE for this time of year as we speak.

Could you possibly be any more objectively wrong? I mean, seriously, this is pathetic. It is obvious you are pulling numbers out of your a**, just so you can keep being gloomy. It's one thing for you to spread your miserable little gloom on us over some forecast models, it's another thing to just make things up to try to drag other people down. It's disrespectful and tantamount to lying. So either back your numbers and assertions up, or shut up.
fishnski
January 26, 2006
3,530 posts
DANG Roger,I was just going to say how NICE you were to M&M during your earlier post...I mean, I saw the Sweet,understanding mature side of you....the one that helped me out when i 1st posted & was so worried about my spelling. I felt that maybe when I next went on a rant about MPC that you would calmly & nicely bring me back down gracefully.....& then BAMMMM Roger Jeckle or is it Roger Hyde comes out...Sort of like my ole lady....M&M is reeling on the ropes..I'm Heading for the hills!...Somebody feed him a snowcone!
Mountain Masher
January 26, 2006
541 posts
I don't buy what you're saying, not for a minute! I've been going to CV since the mid 60s and my father was there in the 50s when the DC Ski Club set up a rope tow. And I can tell you that the snow-pack on the ground is usually close to 30 inches (in a good many places) by Feb 1. An average of only 7 inches? That's a joke! Pray-tell how do you think the DC Ski Club skied without snowmaking in the old days?
Roger Z
January 26, 2006
2,181 posts
Look at the links, MM. If you don't like it, contact the data center and whine to them. I'm only the messenger... don't shoot me!!!

ps-
Quote:

Pray-tell how do you think the DC Ski Club skied without snowmaking in the old days?

The DC Ski Club ran a "lift on a drift" through two fairly snowless winters (49-50 and, I believe, 51-52). Snow picked up for a few years after that. Weiss Knob opened in the mid-50s and struggled with high winds that tended to blow snow away. A ski area was opened where Whitegrass is today in the winter of 59-60, and included snowmaking, one of the first in the south to do so (bonus points to anyone that can name the three ski areas that installed snowmaking prior to modern day Whitegrass and Homestead in 59-60!).

This information is taken from pp 32-37 of Randy Johnson's Southern Snow, the 1987 printing. Further details are available within for the interested reader. My opinion based on this book is that they dealt with natural snow conditions back then similar to the way we deal with it today: ski it if ya got it.
jonjon
January 26, 2006
Member since 04/2/2004 🔗
70 posts
I have to agree that MM is overestimating the snow depths in this area. Just looking at Dave Lesher's "Climate of Canaan Valley, WV" (available at the Wildlife Refuge for only $10.00 and well worth it) the last time that February had a max snow depth of over 30" was Feb of 2003 -- just after PDII when there was 46". Before that, the last time there was a max snow depth of 30" was 1985 (39").

The seventies had four years with a max depth of over 30", including the astonishing amount of 83" on February 7, 1977.

The sixties had five years of max depths of over 30" -- and the fifties had none.

At a glance, the mean max snow depth for February appears to be around 20" -- and remember that is just a max. The average seems plausible in the 8-10" inch range.

This is my third winter here, and I do have to agree that the snow depth to snowfall ratio is more out of wack than usual because of the frequent warm weather, I'm just thankful that it has snowed as much as it has considering the warm month. But I've noticed that when things are warm around here the snowfalls that do come seem to be more intense, I'm guessing because the lakes remain unfrozen (as they are now). So there is great potential for Feb and March like last year.
Mountain Masher
January 26, 2006
541 posts
Yeah, I see the data, but it sure doesn't make sense to me and doesn't match up with what I've seen over many years. If the data is true then I would say that expectations at CV have often been too high.
fishnski
January 26, 2006
3,530 posts
Last month it snowed about 38 inches with an average 7 inch snow cover.If it snowed 38 inches in dec,& then the same amount for jan,feb,march that would be about the valleys ave for the year(152) so that would gel with Rogers findings.Now up in the shady forest above 4000' ESPECIALLY on MPC you might see some of Mr.Mashes figures play out....There was a festival up at stowe last week or not long before where the weather channel was doing a special & they mentioned that the town of stowe had only a 2 inch snow cover.I stayed in Avon,Co for a week right after a good spell of snow for them (in feb) & the snow cover was about 8 or 9 inches..so what I am tying to say is that to ave 7 to 10 inches of snow cover in the valley is respectable. The snow in the valley also blows off & piles up in various spots...At my place the other week we had about 7 inches of snow 1 nite & the next day there was only an inch in front of my front door,but taking my dog for a walk around back by the woods we were in snow above my knees. Maybe back in the old days with 100 foot tall spruces on the valley fl M&M's 30" pileup wouldn't be to far off...but by feb,not jan...Somebody shoot my computer & put me out of misery!
Roger Z
January 26, 2006
2,181 posts
Quote:

the last time that February had a max snow depth of over 30" was Feb of 2003 -- just after PDII when there was 46"

See, now that's interesting. I remember that time pretty well, because Whitegrass was reporting 60 (or 62) inches at the 4,000 foot snow stake. They might be exaggerating a little, or they might not be. Snow does accumulate rapidly as you head up to the Sods. But it's entirely possible that even if the Valley averages an 8 inch depth for February, the mountains above it could average a foot or more. That might even include Canaan Heights, which sits at 3,700 feet.

Does the book say anything about the climate in the mountains above Canaan Valley? The Sods used to be a sheep farm, after all, and the military did ammo testing there in World War II. Surely someone has at least anecdotal histories of the snow up there compared to the Valley...
jonjon
January 26, 2006
Member since 04/2/2004 🔗
70 posts
The book doesn't have any statistics for any of the higher elevations, however, there is a cool map of where the big drifts tend to pile up in the sods and last until May or June.

All the statistics are for around 3200'. Lesher just became the NWS observer on Canaan Heights a few years ago at 3700', and I look at his obs as a half way indicator up the mountain. I'm guessing that we will see a long term average at his location of about 170-180" per season. His snow depths of course are usually deeper than the valley floor, and the peaks will outdo his numbers, especially in protected areas where the snow tends to drift and is screened from sunlight.

We need an observer to live and take measurements on top of Porte Crayon. Anyone interested?
Mountain Masher
January 26, 2006
541 posts
RogerZ, Thanks for the interesting info. Would you happen to know where I might be able to find the book Southern Snow. It sounds like it has some wonderful info., some enjoyable reading I'm sure.
Ullr
January 26, 2006
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Amazon has several copies.
fishnski
January 27, 2006
3,530 posts
This is an evolving post..a little Dif than the untopic...JonJon are you all planning on getting your davis wx back up? Its been stuck at 22.5 degrees for a week now. Its a great winter temp though! & bieng your 3rd year with the meyer House B&B has this winters weather slowed down buisness any?I talked to a lady up there who cleans for TL realty & she seems to think that buis is down a good bit this year.I also talked to a few people at the pub at TL who said they were there because of the articles that they came across on davis & Canaan(CNN,USA,Mens journal) so if it is down...i guess it could be worse.
Roger Z
January 27, 2006
2,181 posts
MM- I saw Southern Snow on Amazon once. I think they put out a revised edition in 2004. But check under Amazon, that's usually a good place to start, though they have made a mess of the ordering page. It really is a fascinating book. Should be required reading for all snow enthusiasts in the south!
bassfish
January 27, 2006
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
13 posts
Yeah the roads were a bit bad yesturday morning (1/26), but on the way home last night they are pretty much clear and dry with the exception of a few spots from drifting snow. Conditions at T-Line were really good yesturday, found lots of fresh spots to jump in and im sure it will be a nice weekend for the folks going up after work today. The new run "Twister" is open, pretty decent with the exception that it gets somewhat flat towards the bottom and you might have to pole or unstrap if you dont keep up enough speed.

bass
jonjon
January 27, 2006
Member since 04/2/2004 🔗
70 posts
Quote:

This is an evolving post..a little Dif than the untopic...JonJon are you all planning on getting your davis wx back up? Its been stuck at 22.5 degrees for a week now. Its a great winter temp though! & bieng your 3rd year with the meyer House B&B has this winters weather slowed down buisness any?I talked to a lady up there who cleans for TL realty & she seems to think that buis is down a good bit this year.I also talked to a few people at the pub at TL who said they were there because of the articles that they came across on davis & Canaan(CNN,USA,Mens journal) so if it is down...i guess it could be worse.

Business is doing great at our B&B, but I've heard some complaints from other establishments. Luckily, we seem to appeal to a crowd that comes not only for skiing.

Yeah, my weather station is busted -- took a couple too many falls from the strong winds up here. Just ordered another station that should be in next week. I'll have to do better with securing this one!!
Murphy
January 27, 2006
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

I have to agree that MM is overestimating the snow depths in this area. Just looking at Dave Lesher's "Climate of Canaan Valley, WV" (available at the Wildlife Refuge for only $10.00 and well worth it) the last time that February had a max snow depth of over 30" was Feb of 2003 -- just after PDII when there was 46". Before that, the last time there was a max snow depth of 30" was 1985 (39").

The seventies had four years with a max depth of over 30", including the astonishing amount of 83" on February 7, 1977.

The sixties had five years of max depths of over 30" -- and the fifties had none.

At a glance, the mean max snow depth for February appears to be around 20" -- and remember that is just a max. The average seems plausible in the 8-10" inch range.

This is my third winter here, and I do have to agree that the snow depth to snowfall ratio is more out of wack than usual because of the frequent warm weather, I'm just thankful that it has snowed as much as it has considering the warm month. But I've noticed that when things are warm around here the snowfalls that do come seem to be more intense, I'm guessing because the lakes remain unfrozen (as they are now). So there is great potential for Feb and March like last year.

HERE'S another good source of real time weather for the valley. It may actually be Dave Lesher's station, I don't know.
Rich
January 27, 2006
Member since 11/30/2000 🔗
194 posts
You're talkinmg 30" and 20" ... ???

I see it's been 97" so far at Snowshoe just 1 1/2 or 2 hours south!
January 27, 2006
1,986 posts
Quote:

We need an observer to live and take measurements on top of Porte Crayon. Anyone interested?

Rumor has it that Bill Bright commissioned a weather study of MPC. Don't know who is conducting it or how.
Mountain Masher
February 8, 2006
541 posts
Roger Z, thanks for the info on the book Southern Snow, a book that I'd really enjoy and keep as a reference.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.