March skiing
19 posts
13 users
2k+ views
damnedbee
January 20, 2006
Member since 01/20/2006 🔗
3 posts
Hi, I'm a complete newbie who needs some advice.

I'd like to plan a weekend getaway to Bryce during the second weekend of March. From what I've gathered from this site, that can be a somewhat iffy time. I'd hate to lose my deposit on a condo if I have to cancel due to the resort being closed. What do you think? Is that generally a safe weekend to book a trip or not?
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 20, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Unless we get an extraordinary meltdown chances are they will still have most of their trails open by then, but could be slushy. They will likely close soon after that weekend even if snow remains. Great place for newbies and should be deserted in March.
Here's a Bryce/March trip report from 2 yrs ago:
http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=60&mode=headlines
Roger Z
January 20, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
The closer-in ski areas sometimes shut down the first weekend of March (the Snotime resorts have gotten into this habit as of late). I'd rank the second weekend in March for Bryce as very dicey, particularly if this weather pattern doesn't change. You might want to look at something higher and further west or north if you can- Snowshoe, Canaan Valley, Seven Springs, and the like. They'll all be open that weekend.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 20, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Hmmm, I tend to be impetuously optimistic and usually overlook plans for things like lost security deposits, so Roger may have a very good point. Also, I've only done Bryce as an easy-to-cancel day trip. It is true that the areas he mentioned are less likely to be closed in mid-March. Would the Bryce rental people have an escape clause if slopes are closed? Additionally, at that time of the year you may not need to reserve a room far in advance and could probably switch venues easily, except for maybe Snowshoe which can be fairly busy in March?
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
kennedy
January 20, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I'd look west and North. Try Canaan, Timberline, Wisp or 7 Springs. March is definitely dicey the closer you get to DC.
damnedbee
January 20, 2006
3 posts
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll play it safe and choose another resort further out. I'm excited to get started -- everyone's enthusiasm at this forum is contagious.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 20, 2006
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Absolutely the best time to ski at Timberline is MARCH!!! It comes in like a lion and often leaves like a lion as well. Crowds are minimal and I've experienced some wonderful snow storms there late in the season.
langleyskier
January 20, 2006
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I ski the second weekend of march every year in canaan and it is ALWAYS amazing. Even in a bad year up there they are able to keep plenty of snow to have a great time. Also, be prepared for any conditions you could imagine! It could be 65 and raining or 15 and a blizzard. But because of their great grooming there it should be good. Also, you might want to consider canaan over timberline because that is their ski luau weekend some years and it can be more crowded then canaan (can anyone verify?). Also, the prices are extremely low that weekend in canaan resort (i think around $60-$70 per night and only 20 or so to ski). Good luck making your choice and welcome to DCSki!!!!
tgd
January 21, 2006
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
Quote:

Also, you might want to consider canaan over timberline because that is their ski luau weekend some years and it can be more crowded then canaan (can anyone verify?).

Of course Snowy Luau is a he11 of a party - don't forget your hawaiian shirt and grass skirt! `Okole maluna!
damnedbee
January 22, 2006
3 posts
I've been considering Canaan and Timberline and have decided to go with Canaan because it seems to be more beginner friendly. I got a cool cabin for about 10 of my closest friends. What a fun way to celebrate the big 3-0! Thanks again for the help.
Roger Z
January 22, 2006
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Hey Happy Birthday! Life begins at 30, man. Anyway, I went up to CV last March and stayed at a cabin in Blackwater Falls State Park. Cabins are always fun to stay in, alone or with a group. Just a really neat way to spend some time that emphasizes the rustic nature of the mountains (ideally with a hot tub ). Have a great trip!
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 22, 2006
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Roger:

You dog. You are really giving Jimmy a run for his money.
883!!! That's more vertical than Canaan Valley.
David
January 22, 2006
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
You could always go over and ski Timberline for the day....Just a thought.
TennesseeSkier
January 22, 2006
Member since 01/22/2006 🔗
25 posts
I am new here as well. I usually ski Snowshoe in Jan, but thinking about trying it out the 2nd weekend in March. Aren't the conditions usually good this time of year? Can someone who has been there in March help me out, and let me know what to expect? Thanks
gizmosnow
January 22, 2006
Member since 10/6/2005 🔗
269 posts
Was in snowshoe second week of march last season and it was spectacular! of course, best snow of the season occurred in march last year so my experience may have been atypical. certainlly there is always a little luck involved where the weather is concerned( who would have predicted we would be so short on natural snow and cold temps deep into january). And, don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but national weather service just issued a 'Warmer than Normal' forecast throught the month of february for the midatlantic, great lakes and most of the eastern regions!
Swimmer
January 22, 2006
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
143 posts
Skied Snowshoe in April last year. Saturday was pouring rain, warm as anything, water just POURING down off the mountain. That night, the temps dropped like a stone, the clouds disappeared, and the groomers worked their magic. My buddy and I were the only two standing at the top of the Western Territory when they dropped the ropes on Sunday morning. We ripped four runs of HIGH SPEED (was like skiing super highway) before we saw another skier outside of a patroller. You could have not have asked for better edgable snow and superior glide. Felt so sweet to carve flying GS turns on corduroy. It was one of my better ski experiences
Steve
kwillg6
January 23, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I tolerate january and february to get to march when the snow is best, the weather is warmer and there are fewer crowds. Usually the biggest snowstorms are during the last six weeks of the season. The past two closing days at t-line have seen significant if not epic dumps.
bawalker
January 23, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I've been at both of those year end storms at Timberline, and you literally swear you are in the Rocky Mountains or Teton Mountains hitting up a mountain and wilderness that is much bigger than it appears. The snow is soft and powdery, the days last a bit longer, and you can rip massive GS turns on just about any slope at Timberline without fear of some 5 year old clipping your knees. Or at least showing you up anyway.
TennesseeSkier
February 5, 2006
Member since 01/22/2006 🔗
25 posts
Thanks everyone for you posts. My girlfriend and I are really looking forward to our trip in March. I know there are a lot of Snowshoe bashers here on this site. But since we are from Tennessee, and are limited to Ober, Beech and Sugar mountains, we LOVE Snowshoe. It may be a tad overpriced, but we still love it there. It may be different for us, because when we go to the Shoe, its not just a day trip, its a nice couple of days to get away. And TRUST me. Its a 100000% better than any resort close to us. Snowshoe...Here we come !!!!!!!!!!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.