7 Springs January 8, 2005
7 posts
6 users
1k+ views
Heather
January 8, 2006
Member since 02/24/2005 🔗
170 posts
Just got back form 7S and let me first begin by saying that I really, really enjoy the new Yodeler Trail. It is like having a little bit of LM while that mountain is closed. Conditions were actually good, no stratch that they were awesome! I was a little hesitant to go out today due to the recent warm up/rain, but 7S proved that they definately are more than capable of rebuilding thier base in less than 24 hours. Snow was like powdered sugar and smooth as silk. Crowds were not a problem today for whatever reason, be it the Stiller Game or the warm up in recent days, so the longest we waited in a lift line was at the Gunnar Lift and we waited approx 15-20 minutes. Next trip down we skied right up and loaded. Overall, I was quite pleased with the trip to 7S today and can finally see the benefit of having such a hugh local mountain to keep me entertained.
jb714
January 9, 2006
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
I'll second that - my daughter and I skied the Springs Sat and Sun - the crowds thinned out a lot at about 1 PM Sunday. And, it never ceases to amaze me how adept 7Springs is with snowmaking and grooming - there was virtually no evidence that they had a warm week last week - conditions were great this weekend.
kennedy
January 9, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
There saturday and it was awesome. Late in the afternoon though over on Avalanche I noticed the snow getting sticky. It was kind of weird, one second you're hauling A then you hit a patch of what feels like glue and nearly head over the nose of the board. It wasn't just me either, I think most people were feeling.

I had to take a little bit of an illicit run down the Gannar chair slope that was technically closed. My grom slide buddy lost his glove off the lift and I had to recover it. It was actually pretty fun. decent coverage and as long as I straightlined it there was no problem with rocks eating my edges or anything. In fact it was probably the most fun of the day.

Down side, the park at 7 springs needs some work. I've always kind of felt their park was a little on the weak side. The run in was decent but the kicker was a kind of lame roller type thing that just ate away your speed so it gets tough to air off the top. They need to take a leaf out of Whitetails book. To give them their dues Whitetail does put together well thought out tables etc even if the run in is flat.
TerpSKI
January 9, 2006
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
Quote:

Just got back form 7S and let me first begin by saying that I really, really enjoy the new Yodeler Trail. It is like having a little bit of LM while that mountain is closed. Conditions were actually good, no stratch that they were awesome! I was a little hesitant to go out today due to the recent warm up/rain, but 7S proved that they definately are more than capable of rebuilding thier base in less than 24 hours. Snow was like powdered sugar and smooth as silk. Crowds were not a problem today for whatever reason, be it the Stiller Game or the warm up in recent days, so the longest we waited in a lift line was at the Gunnar Lift and we waited approx 15-20 minutes. Next trip down we skied right up and loaded. Overall, I was quite pleased with the trip to 7S today and can finally see the benefit of having such a hugh local mountain to keep me entertained.

The conditions sound great, but wow 15-20 minutes?? That is a nightmare.
comprex
January 9, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Quote:

There saturday and it was awesome. Late in the afternoon though over on Avalanche I noticed the snow getting sticky. It was kind of weird, one second you're hauling A then you hit a patch of what feels like glue and nearly head over the nose of the board. It wasn't just me either, I think most people were feeling.

We were mostly over on Goosebumps without any sort of a grabby snow problem, but we worked our way back over to Yodeler and in the lower pipe-shaped section I saw the dreaded yellowish tint of grabbiness so I kept 'em on edge and kept speed up. If you were one of the boarders at the entrance, I was the guy on red skis followed by a guy in yellow (tele) Crispi CXRs and one on a alpine race board.

Quote:

I had to take a little bit of an illicit run down the Gannar chair slope that was technically closed.

If you came in along the catwalk, we did that too.
SpringsRegular
January 9, 2006
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
153 posts
Quote:

Down side, the park at 7 springs needs some work. I've always kind of felt their park was a little on the weak side. The run in was decent but the kicker was a kind of lame roller type thing that just ate away your speed so it gets tough to air off the top. They need to take a leaf out of Whitetails book. To give them their dues Whitetail does put together well thought out tables etc even if the run in is flat.

There is a new park crew this year and the have contracted with Snow Park Tech. to design and assist in the build of the park. The new "super" pipe is open and from what I hear it is getting good reviews.

They added the new park on Giant Steps and the one on N. Face will be bigger. There are new rails purchased that are ready to go. The problem is that the Snow Park guy had to go east to cut a pipe for an Olympic Trials comp. that combined with the crappy weather has set stuff back a bit. Be patient, and it will come.

The grabby snow is from the guns. On Saturday when they had them on into the day it was 23 degress but 98% humidity. Those are not prime conditions but they tried to keep them on as long as possible to prepare for the next two weeks of warm up. That said there is a TON of snow on the mountain. I would guess barring any significant rain and snow eating fog that the Springs should remain in fine shape through out.

Now if that damn air dam would break and let the arctic air through.
kennedy
January 9, 2006
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Oh the snow was plentiful and very enjoyable. I figured the snow was kind of warm and wet and that was why I was getting some slow down.

I think if they shape the kickers a bit better and actually put a little curve in it they'd be fine. What they had felt more like a spine than a kicker. The pipe was okay. The run in is a little funky. They need to widen it and set it back a little more to set up right. Overall the freeriding was tanfastic but the parks need tweaking. Generally the best hits at 7 Springs are the unintentional ones like variations in height between two trails. Actually coming off the trail under Cortina lift there was a bunch of pow and if you ran it right there was a sort of snow covered bench that you could slide across and pop off. Pretty fun.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?