cleaning/lubricating bindings.
7 posts
5 users
1k+ views
GGNagy
January 5, 2006
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
I have been using ski blades for the past 7 years, but last night I dug out my 17 year old skis, thinking I would tune them up for this weekend.
The bindings are Tyrolia 470s, and the lubricants seemed to have collected a layer of grime on them.
Any reccomendations on what can be used to clean and re-lubricate the bindings?
There is no rust and everything seems to move/engage/disengage ok, but just looks cruddy.

If the only good answer is: "take to a ski shop" then
a) whats the usual turn around on cleaning bindings? and
b) are they going to chase me out of the shop for trying to make them work on such antiques?
JohnL
January 5, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

b) are they going to chase me out of the shop for trying to make them work on such antiques?

17 year old bindings? They won't even consider touching the bindings for fear of liablility problems. I wouldn't trust 17 year old bindings myself, and I tend to have a general disregard for equipment maintenance.

Do yourself a favor, rent skis the next time you head out. If your boots are 17 years old also, rent boots.
kwillg6
January 5, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Tyrolia bindings, at one time, had recalls on quite a few models. I don't think the 470s were in that recall. I have an old pair of K2 UVOs that have that same binding and occasionally, I have taken a run on them, just to see the reactions of "lift liners." If they have been backed down in the off season (the din setting) they may be ok. It depends on the binding, the maintainence, how hard you ski them...etc... If not sure, do as John suggests and rent. It's better to be safe than sorry.
comprex
January 5, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

a) listen to JohnL

b) spray SimpleGreen on a dishtowel and clean off the front of the binding where the boot goes in. Do not spray on the binding. Do not attempt to lubricate.
- This in no wise implies that it will be safe to ski-

c) I don't remember the 470 well but Tyrolia mounting patterns have not changed that much; it may well be that a current non-railflex will fit into the original binding holes.
TLaHaye
January 5, 2006
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
I'd also be cautious of the skis. Even properly stored, the adhesives and resins involved in modern ski construction will deteriorate over time, and there is a real risk they will fail while under the most stress. Of course, that's probably where you have the most risk .....
GGNagy
January 5, 2006
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
regarding the recalled bindings, the 177 was one of them. The 470 was the what Tyrolia replaced the "faulty" bindings with. Guess how I knew that.

The old skis will go back in the closet and I will go with teh blades and renting skis if the mood strikes. And yes, the boots are much much younger than 17 years old.
comprex
January 6, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

The 177. Was that the dreaded Plastic Heelpiece of Death we had all those notices about in like 1987?
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.