Deep Creek or Masanutten?
4 posts
4 users
3k+ views
ChinaDoll
January 3, 2006
Member since 01/3/2006 🔗
1 posts
HELP! Never been to either but I'm looking to do a big group (about 17 ppl, including kids) trip to one in the beginning of February so I want to book something soon. Want do a spa & ski thing and take skiing lessons cause a couple of us have not skied before (but snow tubed ). Is one better then the other for a group of friends & kids? know of good cabin rentals at either, deals etc and good spa services??

Thanks!
k_alice
January 3, 2006
Member since 11/22/2005 🔗
92 posts
I went to Massanutten a few years ago with a group of friends and wouldn't go back. Especially with beginners. The main lift for the beginner trail is agonizingly slow and poorly organized, and almost all trails funnel into the main beginner trail, so it becomes quite crowded. Also, there are virtually no slopeside condos. Ours was a short drive from the slopes, which was OK, but it was oriented so that the big living room window looked out on the parking lot, while the small bedroom windows had the mountain view.

We had bad weather one day so went to the pool, which was pretty mediocre. Don't know about the spa services. I'm biased, but I think the spa services at Wintergreen are very nice, esp. since the spa renovation this summer. Somewhat pricey, though, but there are few bargains in terms of spas.

There are a lot of posts about Wisp on this website, most pretty positive.
Aaron
January 3, 2006
Member since 01/12/2005 🔗
54 posts
Massanutten is a cheap, crowded, day trip place. It sounds like you're looking for more of a destination resort. I'd highly recommend WISP (deep creek) or Wintergreen over Massanutten for what you're looking for. Both are pretty comparable in terms of trails (much better), have good ski schools, and have good spas/pools etc - esp. wintergreen with the brand new spa.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 3, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
One thing going for Massanutten is the new water park: http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=745&mode=search

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?