Suggestions for powder skis?
7 posts
4 users
2k+ views
Philip
January 3, 2006
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
26 posts
OK, here it goes... I'm certainly not an expert, but I've owned a pair of K2 Bombers for almost 10 years. (185) They're fast, and although there's some shape/curvature, there not anywhere near as shapely as the newer models.

But I'm taking a trip out west to Tahoe this month. I reckon the powder should be much more than I'm used to. Many times when I ski powder here in the east, my boot comes loose.

I'm afraid of taking my beloved bombers out west. Should I rent or invest in a wider ski?
comprex
January 3, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Hmmm. Figure $35-40/day for rentals on something really decent, demo-quality that is. Say you ski for 6 days, that comes to $240 or so, poss. less.

You -might- be able to score a Volant Chubb or 1080 or Volant FB or K2 PE or Volkl V-Pro/Dogen/AX4 or older Rossi B2/XX for less than that but not much less. And you're buying a pig in a poke.

Now you say "Many times when I ski powder here in the east, my boot comes loose."

a) Check that your bindings and boots are clear of snow when you click in. One little teensy wedge of compressed whitestuff can play havoc with release settings.

(1996 bindings???)

b) This can happen when the skier tries to muscle a tip-diving ski into the same turn behavior he might see on hardpack. The stereotype for this would be the top-to-bottom jump turner. Powder skiing is much more relaxed than this. Check some of Crush's threads on this board.

(PS disregard non-Tahoe powder ski reviews. Tahoe snow is MUCH different from Utah snow).

Philip
January 3, 2006
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
26 posts
boot loose issues - I've come to adjust the DIN setting when skiing in thicker snow. Otherwise, when lifting my ski to turn, my boot will simply pop out while skiing in powder.

What type/cut/shape would be best in Tahoe?

thanks for the help.
comprex
January 3, 2006
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Philip, that lifting sounds like a lot of work and a bit dangerous.

Will you have any lessons on modern (Y2K and newer) gear before the trip?
Shadow
January 5, 2006
Member since 01/22/2005 🔗
22 posts
Comprex is right. You sould at least demo a bunch to see what you're comfortable with and then invest! You should always have a good selection of skis in your quiver!!! =D

I bought a set of Salomon 1080s and they are awesome in powder and they work well on groomers too. You should defninitely check these guys out. Plus I like the fact that they are twin tips. I've found myself going backwards on a number of occasions not by choice so I figure if I'm going to end up backwards anyway I might as well have skis that are rigged for it!
skier219
January 5, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
If your boot is coming loose, that's not good -- I would suspect either your setting is too low, or the binding tension needs to be adjusted.

I am demoing some mid-fats this weekend. That's what I would recommend since you can use them in powder out west and on groomed out east. Skis like the Elan M666, Head Monster 77, Dynastar 8000 are good examples.

Craig
skier219
January 5, 2006
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

Comprex is right. You sould at least demo a bunch to see what you're comfortable with and then invest! You should always have a good selection of skis in your quiver!!! =D

I bought a set of Salomon 1080s and they are awesome in powder and they work well on groomers too. You should defninitely check these guys out. Plus I like the fact that they are twin tips. I've found myself going backwards on a number of occasions not by choice so I figure if I'm going to end up backwards anyway I might as well have skis that are rigged for it!

1080s are fun skis, but they really go limp at higher speeds and are horrible carvers. I love skiing them to play around, but find that they are underwhelming for regular skiing. But then again, they are park skis and that's exactly how they should perform. K2 Public Enemys are a bit better as an all-around ski.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?