How are crowds at Wisp
20 posts
8 users
4k+ views
GaryEsq
December 30, 2005
Member since 12/20/2005 🔗
54 posts
Very long story condensed: I was going to purchase real estate near 7 Springs/Hidden Valley, but now have turned to the Deep Creek lake region, primarily because of the 4 seasons nature of DCL and might make an offer soon. My only time at Wisp was last Feb. and I was pretty impressed. While it lacks some of the big resort aspects of 7 springs (like a high speed lift) I thought it had a unique feel, and really appreciated the terrain parks (as a snowboarder). The crowds were not bad at all that weekend...and I didn't know if it was an anomaly or the norm. I thought it might be a little better on weekends than 7 springs, given its mostly vacationers rather than commuters like at 7.

Any thoughts are appreciated!!!
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
December 30, 2005
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Perhaps you were not aware that the name of Deep Creek Lake has been changed to Deep Pockets Lake. For example, the duplex townhomes under construction on top of Wisp mountain are going for $1.0 million. If you can afford that kind of coin, give me the phone number of your stock broker. I was there on 12/27, and the place was very crowded. The lake is nice during the summer, but have you ever seen how much boat and wave runner traffice there is on the lake. It's down right scary. You may want to reconsider the Laurel Mountain area.
wolverine
December 31, 2005
Member since 08/26/2005 🔗
113 posts
You may want to check out the new Southwind development on top of the mountain at 7S. More bang for the buck than Wisp. The new ski in/ ski out development is within walking distance of one of my favorite activities- snowmobiling! (nice guides and reasonable rental fees with beautiful terrain ...most people don't know about the snowmobiling)

I'm told they will release 2bd condo/hotel property soon that will likely be a better value than new stuff at Wisp or SS. (I think the townhouses are sold out)
GaryEsq
December 31, 2005
54 posts
Heh. Sorry I wasnt more specific. I know about DCL prices, Ive been monitoring the market for years.... Im looking at something more reasonable about 10-15 min from Wisp (I dont have that kind of coin to be closer). Those new 7 Springs condos are out of my price range...albiet beautiful...and they also make me weary of getting an existing condo at 7, as I think the newer ones will dillute their value.

BTW, whats the new skiing area at Wisp like?
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
December 31, 2005
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
I tried the new 'North Camp' trails and they are certainly an important addition to Wisp. The only blue trail on the 'front' side (I believe is named Boulder) decends to a narrow curved section which was littered with bodies. Thus the new trails take the pressure off this trail. The 2 new blues are a little to consistent. Natural undulations in the terrain would have made the trails more interesting. It appeared that there was some substantial earth moving operations to create some of these trails. However, they provide some nice cruising terrain and are a welcome addtion. Wisp is not a bad location since it is midway between the Canaan area and the Laurel Mountain ski areas. I own a place at Hidden Valley which has some nice real estate, but the skiing lacks challenge and the resort is for sale.
Roger Z
December 31, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
SWPA- what are you looking for specifically, and have you visited the Wisp sales office in the main lodge? I heard one of the ladies in there talking about condos that are starting at $179,900. Those are probably studios in the basement right next to the boiler room and utility closet, but it indicates that you can probably find a nice condo for under $300K.

Gads... I can't even afford a first home and I'm talking abuot how a $300K vacation condo is cheap. Skiing really warps reality...
bawalker
December 31, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Wisp crowds can vary, and it really does depend on what you consider or define as 'crowded'. Most often during the holidays especially like New Years you'll find crowds to get somewhat burdensome throughout midday till about 7pm. Last year I was at Wisp on Jan 1 and it fluxuated throughout the day. During midday and afternoon, the lift lines where HORRENDOUS at lifts 2 & 3 over by the lodge. However that was without the expanded terrain open. Lift #1 over by the tubing park was always much thinner with people than the two main triples. I assume no one wants to walk from the lodge over to lift #1 which is somewhat secluded behind that first aid building as well.

Also the lift for Main Street and the top of the mountain lift are rarely busy mostly because they service expert terrain. On some days when I ride up lift #1 and see that Boulder Run is a bowling alley of scattered bodies, I'll venture over to the mainstreet area. I'll hang a right before getting to the U turn at Boulder and go down under the tunnel and have some fun over there till crowds thin out.

In my opinion it appears that the way Wisp is designed and setup, the majority of the people all head to lifts 2 & 3 as soon as they get their lift ticket. From there most of the crowds go down the two green trails (thankfully the expansion has cleared that up) with the rest going over to North Face and Squirrel Cage for tricks for those on the lift or those looking out from the lodge. Some people are so attention starved.

However there are *alot* of runs at Wisp that seem to be in plain view, but secluded. Beaver is a favorite of mine, as well as any of those wooded connector trails. It's all about knowing what trails to use to bypass the crowds at the right time. I swear riding Wisp is like trying to navigate around rush hour traffic on back roads.
GaryEsq
December 31, 2005
54 posts
Quote:

SWPA- what are you looking for specifically, and have you visited the Wisp sales office in the main lodge? I heard one of the ladies in there talking about condos that are starting at $179,900. Those are probably studios in the basement right next to the boiler room and utility closet, but it indicates that you can probably find a nice condo for under $300K.

Gads... I can't even afford a first home and I'm talking abuot how a $300K vacation condo is cheap. Skiing really warps reality...

Are you referring to the Wisp Hotel? They're cheep in there, but its basically a hotel room with a free ski pass. Or were you referring to something else? Im looking for something around 200k.
wolverine
December 31, 2005
Member since 08/26/2005 🔗
113 posts
Price the new condo/hotel at 7S when available. They may be less than you expect when adding rental income (or go in with someone). My sister from and her husband from Detroit bought a 3 br TH at Southwind, I think for around 450K that they will rent (I expect a good rate her sibling's families!). This will cost less yearly than a place "near the slopes" that wont get much rental income and be a better investment if they ever decide to sell it (location, location, location)
tommo
December 31, 2005
303 posts
Wisp has been getting more and more skiers over the last few years, and it had reached, imho, the saturation point two years ago. However, the situation has been dramatically improved.

This week there have been virtually no lines (according to my kids). My wife and I skied all day today, and for the most part we skied right on to a chair. We did have about a 3 or 4 minute wait at about 3:00, but the next time down the line was gone. This improvement is due completely to the expansion and the upgrade from doubles to triples on the front side last year. I say this because the bottom parking lots (and surrounding area) were completely full and the new top lot was nearly full for most of the week.

As to real estate, there are still reasonably priced homes in the DCL area. Obviously, if you want to be slopeside or lakefront, you'll pay a stiff premium. But that is true at every lake and every ski area in the country. If you are willing to be 10 - 15 minutes from Wisp and not directly on the lake, fairly new, very nice mtn. houses can be found in the $150- $180 per sq ft range. On our road, for example, a very nice cedar chalet overlooking the Nature Conservancy glade, and in impecable condition, sold for 170K about a year ago. Our neighbor's house - a very large, custom built showplace of a home (Gosnell built) with separate 2 plus car garage, covered outdoor porch, hardwood floors, extensive stone work, 25' dry stack fireplace, etc.. on 2 acres sold for a bit over 400K this summer. There are also some really nice condos on lakefront locations that are pretty good deals - check out Red Run or Four Hoophole - for some fine lakefront living.

If you watch the market and are prepared to act quickly when the right opportunity comes up, you'll find a fine property that meets your needs. btw, look in the winter and spring - the high season is summer, and prices and demand tend to be highest then.
Roger Z
January 1, 2006
2,181 posts
Quote:

Are you referring to the Wisp Hotel?

Not sure... just heard her mentioning some condos at $179K. Wasn't expecting that it would be spectacular, but it's something.

Happy New Year everyone!
bawalker
January 1, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Would those be the condo's down the lake along Rt 219 s that are going up? They aren't on Wisp slopes but construction is growing south of Wisp along the ridgeline.
Roger Z
January 2, 2006
2,181 posts
I still don't know. This means you'll have to take a ski trip to Wisp and ask for yourself!
bawalker
January 2, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I'm actually due about 20 trips to Wisp this year. I got the 'Get On Board' pass at Wisp aimed at beginners for $260. There is a catch however, you have to take 3 lessons of either skiing or snowboarding, get three rentals, and three regular lift tickets (included in the $260 price) then after completing those I get to go into the office for my picture and regular pass. However due to me not having a vehicle in the last few months I had to rely on riding up with others. Now that I've got my working vehicle, I'll be completing those and enjoying the time at Wisp. Probably a good 25-35 times this season.
GaryEsq
January 2, 2006
54 posts
One thing I will say.... Wisp season passes are a good deal more expensive than 7 Springs (and its a smaller area). Guess its due to Deep Creek's deep pocketed clientelle. I think Im going to make an offer on 1 DCL property....just for the fact that I can live in it in the winter and rent it in the summer (whereas, in 7 springs id prob feel guilty living there in the winter during peak rental season).

If things go as planned... I look forward to seeing some of you Wispians on the slopes

PS: the other thing in the back of my head is...I would love to live full time in Garrett Co., and think that getting a place would be a positive step toward finding a way to work down there
bawalker
January 2, 2006
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Ok that does it, we get a free place to crash when a snowstorm sets in and we are all at the slopes.

Speaking of work, if you know anyone in that area that needs I.T. consulting services, let me know. My business can handle it.
Heather
January 2, 2006
Member since 02/24/2005 🔗
170 posts
WARNING!WARNING!WARNING!WARNING!
Shameless plug for Laurel Mountain village!!!! There are many homes in LM Village currently for sale (some are at a reasonable price). The down side to LMV is that currently there is no ski area in operation within 5 minutes. The upside is that 7S and HV are approx 30 minutes away, Wisp is about 1 hour away, TLine is about 2.5 hours away. Blue Knob is about 1 hour away although the drive there is quite a pain in the a$$. LM may not be open in the near future for skiing, but if you are looking for year round activity, there is always hiking, mountainbiking and rock climbing very close to the LM area! Best of luck with your vacation home purchase!
hockeydave
January 3, 2006
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
Couldn't agree more with Heather with all of the above wrt year round activities and several reasonably priced properties. I just finalized a purchase of a cabin in LMV and if all of the promises made by PA, Somerset Trust, and 7S come to fruition wrt LM for 06-07, then that would just be icing on the cake.
Roger Z
January 3, 2006
2,181 posts
My long term goal is to live here full time:

www.yellowstoneclub.com

Heather
January 3, 2006
Member since 02/24/2005 🔗
170 posts
One benefit of LMV is that you actually OWN the Property. Unlike condos and the time shares, you only own approx 1 weeks vacation. Only my opinion! Best of luck on the second home!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.