My week
5 posts
3 users
Snowmakers
December 28, 2005
Member since 11/23/2004 🔗
222 posts
Well guys, Winterplace yesterday was EPIC! Im talkin it was #4 on my top 10 days. It was awesome. There was 2" of fresh snow, The high was 39, and best (and most scary) of all, there were NO CROWDS! I mean the most I waited was a lil more than a minute. Alot of times it was walk right up. There was excellent grooming, and even into the night the sides of trails could be seen groomed. It was so great. It was a postcard day. Especially since my snow was melting back home with 46. I loved it. And to top it all off, I might be heading to Snowshoe or Timberline Friday. Snowshoe is expecting 2-4" of snow overnight Thurs, and a high of 38 Friday. And then snow squalls into the evening. If that happens, and im there, that will be the #3 week of my life. So needless to say im stoked.

Hows everyone elses ski week going?
Snowmakers
December 29, 2005
222 posts
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
December 29, 2005
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
ok, we need some wintergreen content on here.

12/28 - WG - warm, slushy, crowded. but a great day skiing as the whole mountain was open and the lines on highlands were only a couple of minutes. until --- ripping down upper clif at max speed i turned right onto loggers, jammed a rut, and landed shoulder first into a nice ligament sprain. ouch. currently in sling. thats how my week went. hoping to be back in action in a couple of weeks.

wg does a great job of crowd management and that is one reason why we went there, anticipating crowds everywhere. i'll remember that about wp next year.
Snowmakers
December 31, 2005
222 posts
Showshoe on 12-30 blew Tuesday at Winterlace away. The main key to an epic day, as with most trips, AVOID BALLHOOTER. I rode that lift twice, leaving me with tons of time on the slopes. I just substuted Ballhooter with Powder Monkey. Much quicker that waiting in line. Conditions? 4.5 of 5 stars. Every now and then youd hit the usual ice spot where the newbs had scraped it away, but the mojority was packed powder, with fresh snow ungroomed, untouched on the sides. The scenery was beautiful as you can see in my pictures. There was 2" of new snow overnight, and it continued snowing through noon. Weird thing about this snow was it was more like dust. It came down good, but they were the smallest snowflakes ive ever seen, and they stuck around everything. Looks like rime at first, but you could tell it was snowing. There was fog until the noon hour, nothing unusual for the island in the sky. I spent alit of my day in the mini park beneath the Powder Monkey lift. It was perfect for my abilities. Ride ons with a few jump ons, boxes, and all sorts of good stuff.

I got there at 10am, and headed to Silver Creek at 5. The creek was groomed very well. I dont remember any ice over there. Right at sunset was beautiful. The distant mountain peaks were lit up, and you could see forever. We were above the clouds, and it looked like a resort out west. It was so nice. When I left at 8, the temp was around 26 degrees, I would asume MO were to make snow later that night.

Trip gets a #3 spot on my best days. Definately worth the $60.

Sunset at 4848.

Excellent slope conditions.

Above the clouds.
bawalker
December 31, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Nothing short of absolutely amazing.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?