TR-7 Springs Monday Dec 26
2 posts
2 users
jimmy
December 27, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
First, I'd like to thank all you folks who thought it would be too crowded or icy for staying home monday . Sonny and I left wheeling abt 7:15 and i'll admit i didn't have high hopes for great conditions. Boy was i wrong! Route 31 was snow covered, springs was foggy but snowing, ten cars in the north face lot when we got there and what looked like a half foot of fresh snow, wind blown and drifted but still much much more than we expected. Started off on the front and busted fresh til about 11, took sonny a while to figure the snow out as it was anything but groomed but he stuck with it asked some questions and had it figured out by the time we left. Moved over to north side and there were fresh pockets of snow in AMeadows, well every where really, until we left at 2:00, about the time the wind really started to howl. It was snowing and blowing when we left, by the time we got back on the PA Turnpike headin west, winter was gone.

What i expected to be just a nice day skiing turned out to be some of the best conditions of the season. Wish you were here.
jb714
December 28, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Quote:

What i expected to be just a nice day skiing turned out to be some of the best conditions of the season. Wish you were here.

Jimmy:
I was also at 7 SPrings Monday - arrived at the NF lot at about 10:30, and even at that point there were only about 2-dozen or so cars in that lot. We skied until 3:30ish - the wind was brutal towards the end. Exposed areas like LIttle North Face were scraped to bare ice by the wind, but areas that were more sheltered (like the lower part of both Gunnar and Giant Steps) had some very decent snow stashes built up.

All in all, it was a pleasantly-surprising day - the NWS had forecast only 2 or 3 inches, but I measured 5" of new snow at the cottage Tuesday morning.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.