Timberline NOW
12 posts
9 users
2k+ views
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 25, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I skied today at the LINE. The sun came out and it turned out to be an excellent day. I filed a spot report with some photos with Scott. Hopefully, he will post it soon. Timberline has more terrain open this Christmas than any other Christmas in past memory, and the rain has not closed a single trail and I spotted no bare spots--even on OTW.
gavin123
December 26, 2005
Member since 11/12/2005 🔗
21 posts
John,
I am/was planning a trip to T-line this coming week. The 28th-30th but the forecast looks line rain all 3 days - I am wondering if you can really count on that forecast as the weather does change as you get up on the slopes. An example is Blue Knob - We check the weather for Claysburg but always take at least 8 degrees off that reported temp because of the altitude of BK. Basically what I am wondering is do you think the skiing will be good out at T-line with rain in the forecast? If I cant ski in good conditions we are probablly not going to go but the misses and I really, really want to ski T-line this week.

Thanks
jonjon
December 26, 2005
Member since 04/2/2004 🔗
70 posts
Forecasts are tough to depend on up here. I see forecasts for rain during the day and snow/rain at night for later this upcoming week. Heck it could end up all snow, or be all rain. We did pick up about 3.5" up here today, and the base is real deep at Timberline -- I would think conditions will be real nice even if there is some rain later on in the week.
December 26, 2005
1,986 posts
Weather is completely unpredictable here. We were supposed to get mainly rain today (26 Dec) and got a full day of snow. Tomorrow looks to be great--groomed packed powder. As for the rest of the week, who knows, but rain in Elkins is generally snow here.
Philip
December 29, 2005
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
26 posts
Who has the best forecast for T-line?
thunderingskier
December 29, 2005
Member since 03/3/2005 🔗
12 posts
im not real sure who has the best forcast for the valley, but i was just up at canaan valley yesterday and i'd say that alot of the black/blue terrain will be getting pretty thin after last nights rain. it was 50+ degrees up on the mountain and the base was running off fast on a couple of their trails (gravity at the top was full of grassy spots, and the bottom felt like there was water running under the snow )
Murphy
December 29, 2005
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

im not real sure who has the best forcast for the valley, but i was just up at canaan valley yesterday and i'd say that alot of the black/blue terrain will be getting pretty thin after last nights rain. it was 50+ degrees up on the mountain and the base was running off fast on a couple of their trails (gravity at the top was full of grassy spots, and the bottom felt like there was water running under the snow )

It's been snowing and below freezing all day so that's gotta help.
December 29, 2005
1,986 posts
Here's what NOAA is saying for tonight:

Quote:

Tonight...Rain likely early this evening. Snow likely until early morning...Then a chance of snow late. Snow accumulation around an inch. Lows in the upper 20s. West winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph...Decreasing to around 5 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

The rule of thumb is 1 to 4. If NOAA says 1 inch for Elkins, that means 4-6 in the CV.
jonjon
December 29, 2005
Member since 04/2/2004 🔗
70 posts
Been snowing steadily here since early afternoon, still snowing with temps in the upper 20s. We've gotten a little more than an inch I'd say. Probably some more overnight, and starting to look better for some snow on New Year's Eve and New Years day. Its nice to get some snow even during the warm spells
jimmy
December 30, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Bumps
December 30, 2005
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts
My son and I went on Tuesday of this week. It turned out to be a good ski day. Lines were a little long, but slopes were fine. I was working some rust out, so the biggest challenge I took on was thunderstruck and thunder draft. Thunder draft had a few roots poking up but was covered all the way down. The edges had a little powder. I struggled to get in a rhythm (probably due to letting myself get so out of shape ) , but I had a good time.
tgd
December 30, 2005
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
My wife and I skied Timberline all day today. Conditions were very generally very good across all the open slopes. And most slopes at Timberline are now open. Including the Drop, which was the best skiing we had today (sorry, no moguls yet). Otherwise we stuck to White Lightning and Thunderstruck. Thunderstruck was the best of these two. Finished with a couple fun runs down Twister. We had about an inch on fresh snow overnight, but there was ample ice to be had on all trails. Still snow coverage was excellent across the board with plenty of powdery lines down every slope we skied. The Drop is completely covered - with almost countless (new?) snowmaking towers installed all the way down the trail. That trail didn't open until March last year with tall weeds and rocks popping out all around. Timberline has done its job this year getting the mountain up and rocking early. Yes, there is even a terrain park under the Thunderdraft lift with a few jumps and 3 rails. I don't know how to rate this park, but there seemed to be a good number of kids using it. High showboat potential, but haven't see any noteworthy performances yet.

They're calling for freezing rain, then snow, then rain tomorrow - but weather forecasts have been pretty off for the valley all week. We've had very little rain, and Wednesday was the only warm day so far (around 50). Thursday forecast was for rain all day, but the temperature steadily dropped below freezing and instead we had light snow all day and overnight. Today we had freezing fog into the early afternoon, temps hovered around freezing all day. I think conditions tomorrow should be pretty decent, and should stay strong throughout the weekend.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.