Still car hunting...
6 posts
2 users
bawalker
December 22, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I know I've touched on this before a few times in the last year, but if anyone knows of any friend, family member, relative, or coworker looking to sell a 2001-2004 Subaru Outback Wagon (NOT Sport/Impreza/Sedan/WRX) do let me know. I've been hitting numerous big name dealerships down in the Northern VA area and their asking prices far exceed any bluebook or total value of the vehicle. For me 5 speed stick shift is a must.

Just keep your eye's peeled.

I think I'm going from being known as the corridor h guy to the subaru guy. heh
skier219
December 23, 2005
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Dang, I have sold or traded a couple cherry Outbacks over the last few years. Last year I traded my 02 LL Bean wagon on my current 05 Outback XT. Unfortunately these have been autos, so my wife can drive them (though honestly, the 5EAT in my OB XT is pretty awesome). I'll probably sell/trade the 05 at some point if there's a significant upgrade. Right now, it's the perfect ski assault vehicle

If you are dead set on a car with 5MT, try for a late 03 or 04 model (previous generation) or 05/06 (current generation). Subaru had some lousy clutch problems between 00 and 03. My 00 model suffered from this.

Craig
bawalker
December 23, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately anything over a 2003 is out of my budget (I'm aiming to be $15,000 and under) and this is an impending need because of my ailing explorer. Several of the vehicles I have found were mostly 00-02 Outback Limited Edition models. I really wouldn't mind an 03-04 model but the price tag most dealerships are carrying is outrageous and is much overpriced to what Subaru forum members advise on paying. An 01 Outback Limited edition being sold at Don Beyer Subaru is going for $15,900. Blue book at best with same options is only $13,000 solid. If I was paying $15,900, it had better be an 03 with less than 40k miles.

What are the symptoms of the clutch problem and what is the cost/proceedure to fixing it?
skier219
December 23, 2005
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
The clutch problem is called "judder", and you can look at a bulletin here:

http://members.cox.net/craig.hunter/03-51-02R.pdf

Basically, it makes it impossible to smoothly engage the clutch, and the whole car will shake/jerk. It gets worse in cold or damp weather. The clutch plate gets chewed up, and leaves hotspots on the flywheel.

The fix, if the car is still under warranty, is a new clutch and flywheel with the post-2003 parts (the problem will eventually return if the repair was done with pre-2003 parts).

Craig

p.s. you can visit the Subaru Crew forums on edmunds.com for more Subaru info/experiences from owners
bawalker
December 24, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Thanks - I emailed the lady selling her vehicle and asked her if she had any clutch related problems. This vehicle is no longer under warranty and I'm curious to know what the cost would be to replace the clutch and flywheel if I had to do that?
skier219
December 24, 2005
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Quote:

Thanks - I emailed the lady selling her vehicle and asked her if she had any clutch related problems. This vehicle is no longer under warranty and I'm curious to know what the cost would be to replace the clutch and flywheel if I had to do that?

I believe it's about a $1200-1500 job. Sometimes Subaru will repair them past warranty if clutch issues were documented before the warranty expired. It's worth a call to Subaru of America for anyone experiencing the problem.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.