13 posts
5 users
2k+ views
MangyMarmot
December 21, 2005
Member since 12/25/2002 🔗
183 posts
Hi all,

I;m trying to work out a way to go to Turin Games. Still real iffy, but fingers are crossed.

Have any of you ever gone to Olympics? (If anyone knows, how easy is it to score tickets once you're there?)

I figure I'll buy a couple before heading over, though it appears the GS etc. tix are super expensive (like $180 per person). Mebbe I'll just catch curling and ice dancing. Whatev. I been dreaming of this since 1980.

My boss right now is being cagy about whether I can get the time off, but if it happens, I'll be sure to post plenty!

mm

PS Anyone else thinking of going?
Roy
December 22, 2005
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
I've never been to the Winter Olympics but I lived in Atlanta during the Summer Olympics there. There are always some tickets available, however the events may not be to your liking. The most popular events are already sold out. From what I understand about the Winter Olympics, that would be figure skating.

If you're going for skiing events, they are a lot more popular in Europe than here so tickets may be harder to get. The good side: I've heard that at the Winter Olympics, everybody on the mountain is watching the sports so the slopes are wide open.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 22, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
You might consider flying through Zurich. I'm getting a lot of alerts via Yahoo Travel for tickets under $350 RT.
MangyMarmot
December 23, 2005
183 posts
Thanx for the zurich tip. We're thinking of spending a week at Cervinia too. We've hit Val Gardena twice and want to try another spot. I like the idea of skiing in Italy and Switzerland on same day.

Anybody familiar with Cervinia? We're looking at hotels online, but if anybody's stayed there and has a place to recommend, it's be appreciated...

I can already taste the yummmm great yummmm pasta at the yummmm end of the ski day!!!

mm
jc376
December 23, 2005
Member since 12/13/2004 🔗
12 posts
I've been to Cervinia. It was a group trip while we were studying abroad in Rome (8 or so years ago). I have to admit, I can only describe it as a beginner because it was my very first time skiing and so I was taking lessons and staying on the easy/intermediates mostly. The hotel we stayed at is this www.meublefurggen.com.

It's a gentle walk from the town center but right at the end of one of the main slopes. The rooms are comfortable (good sized) and the breakfast was amazing.

My friends that took the international pass to Zermatt all said it was worth it. The Cervinia side of the Matterhorn is easier but you can get our kicks on the Swiss side. As you can imagine, the trails are wide and very long.

I probably have too much to say to post here. If you have questions about anything, how to get there, etc...I have a good memory and just message me.

jc
MangyMarmot
January 11, 2006
183 posts
Got the time off. Have plane tickets. Now just need to decide what events to attend and whether or not to definitely go to Cervinia in the week prior to Olympics.

Anyone have inside knowledge of which ski events worth it? I guess you just stay in one spot and watch everybody whiz by... Seems a bit pricy at like $150 for that. I been to plenty of hockey games and know what I'll get for the cash there.

I can barely sit still....

mm
jc376
January 11, 2006
12 posts
mm,

cervinia is an easy trip from torino. if are taking the train, take the train from the main torino station to chantillon. chantillon is the town at the base of cervinia. from there and right in front of the little station, there will be a periodic blue (public) bus that takes skiers up to the top. the train ride is probably not more than 1.5 hrs (maybe even 1 hr, don't remember) and the bus ride is only about 10 or 15 minutes.

when's the next time you'll have this chance? besides, most people will be at sestriere anyways...

jc
MangyMarmot
January 11, 2006
183 posts
Hey, thanks.

We're still figuring out lodging at Cervinia. Haven't nailed anything down yet, but am wondering if that bus drops off at a central spot for all of hotels/garni.

And did you go to Aosta? We were thinking of staying there during games, since it'll likely be a bit cheaper than staying in ski village (since we likely will be going to games rather than skiing in Cervinia on the days we hit events)

I can't wait! Did you ski over on Zermatt side? I planning on trying it out at least one day. We were also thinking about taking a day or two trip into Switzerland.

I've skied Dolomites Val Gardena last two years and really enjoyed it. The travel was really easy once we knew what to do.

mm
jc376
January 11, 2006
12 posts
mm..

didn't go to aosta, we stayed in cervinia at www.meublefurggen.com.

the bus drops you off in the central square. the town is very walkable, some closer than others of course. for example, the hotel we stayed at is a bit farther walk but they have a shuttle and more importantly, it's slope side. i found cervinia to be pretty cheap, especially compared to zermatt or sestriere during the games. not sure if prices will rise a bit for the games though.

didnt go to the swiss side. back then, i was just a beginner so stuck to the gentler italian side. friends have said it was an awesome time but takes a lot time on the lifts though. i don't believe you can ski ALL of zermatt w/ that int'l pass though.

as for location and convenience you can't beat it. where else can you find a 6,500ft base, 5,000 ft. vertical, a 7.5 mile long run and the entire resort above the tree line within 1.5 hrs of a major city? okay, maybe you can but anyone would enjoy this place.
twin58
January 11, 2006
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
There was an article on page D1 of the "Personal Journal." section of the _Wall Street Journal._ on Wednesday, January 4, 2006 about Turin. The article was carried by several other newspapers.

The Olympic Games You Can Get Tickets To

Quote:

Lack of Buzz Surrounding Turin Means
Good Seats, Hotel Rooms Still Available

By AVERY JOHNSON
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
January 4, 2006; Page D1

The coming Winter Olympic Games in Turin, Italy, have generated such little buzz that there are still thousands of tickets unsold and an unexpected number of hotel rooms available.

With fewer than 40 days left until the opening ceremony on Feb. 10, Jumbo Grandi Eventi, the Italian agency organizing hotel accommodations, still has 2,000 rooms free. CoSport, the company in the U.S. authorized to sell seats at the Turin Olympics, has tickets available for almost every event -- including the popular women's figure-skating final. The Torino Organizing Committee has been so worried about turnout that it has commissioned a national television and advertising campaign called "Being There Is Different."

The confluence of factors is creating a lot more last-minute options for travelers who might want to take in the Games, which run from Feb. 10 through Feb. 26. Those searching for a quick Olympic fix will find that about half of event tickets sell for between about $25 and $60. (Though markups from sellers can add to the price.) Early rounds of women's hockey, for example, are about $24, while some tickets to Alpine skiing are $36 (through Torino2006.org).

In one of the biggest surprises, it isn't nearly as difficult to find hotel rooms as once feared. Turin has built three five-star hotels and two four-star hotels in time for the Games. Jumbo Grandi Eventi has deals like $165 a night at the Hotel Residenza Del Lago, which is about 28 miles from the Turin airport. Ludus Tours has a seven-day package that starts at $1,450 and includes a downtown Turin hotel, airport transfer, two dinners and a tour guide.

MangyMarmot
February 1, 2006
183 posts
Sunday we'll be in the Alps. Monday be skiing Cervinia. Monday afternoon, sippin' wine or birra. WOOOOOOOOOOO

Anybody been to Europe yet this season? Seems like they got a dump recently. And it's supposed to be cold.

And, any requests for this year's travelogue. I think I bored ya'll to tears last year about Val Gardena and the Sella Ronda. Mebbe I can boost the ratings a bit this time around.

mm
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
February 1, 2006
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
MM:

I'm heading to Utah this year instead of Europe because I have to save my vacation for a wedding I MUST attend in Europe in April. However, I am definitely curious about your impressions of Turin. Despite all the hype, Turin is supposed to be a pit--basically an industrial city (the Detroit of Italy). Is it? How's the skiing??
MangyMarmot
February 1, 2006
183 posts
OOO where's the wedding? Couldn't you kill two birds with one stone, so to speak and ski then too.
I guess Zermatt has glacier skiing year round. That's right across border from where I'll be. Will check out and file frequent (likely fuzzy-headed) reports.

And Turin does sound a bit iffy. We want to hit Aosta (mountain crossroads of Europe of past two millenia), Genoa (there's supposed to be a killer aquarium) and Prestedora (or something like that, where the Vespa plant is. I ride scooters when not skiing and want to make the pilgrimage).

Lucky you going to Salt Lake. I may try one of those again as well. I LOVE it there.

mm

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?