Will it be crazy busy at T-Line
9 posts
5 users
TerpSKI
December 20, 2005
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
I am thinking of heading to Timberline this on Sunday-Monday. Do any of you regulars think it will be particularly busy on Monday? Or am I just dreaming?
JohnL
December 20, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
I predict Monday will be one of the busiest days in recent seasons, especially for the areas closer to DC. Cold weather, good conditions, day off from work, chance to try out the new Xmas toys.
tgd
December 20, 2005
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
I think Tline and CVSP may be among the best bets for relatively uncrowded skiing over Christmas week. I don't believe "crazy busy" ever applies to Tline - busy yes, but when I think crazy busy I'm thinking the quad at Whitetail on a weekend or holiday (it can get so packed there you'd think they were giving away free cheese or something).

If Tline is running both lifts to the top, lines (at the Silver Queen lift) shouldn't be too bad. At least the slow lifts keep the slopes relatively uncrowded even when there's a crowd at the base waiting to get up. I don't believe I have been there over Xmas when they had so much terrain open though. If the weather holds Tline should have plenty of slopes to spread things out.
dmh
December 20, 2005
Member since 12/11/2003 🔗
127 posts
Using my tried and true measure for Canaan Valley--occupancy rates at Black Bear--CV will be overflowng with people. Black Bear has been fully booked for the entire week for a long time so be prepared for crowds, but CV crowds, almost always tolerable.
SeaRide
December 20, 2005
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
Wait a min .. somebody please remind me what's wrong with the Silver Queen lift? is it old or broken or what? Has it run at all this month?
tgd
December 20, 2005
585 posts
I never said anything was broken on the SQ. Just that Tline usually does not open it unless the crowds warrant - usually weekends & holidays only. I expect it to be open all next week given the holiday - but can't be certain. I don't know if they opened it this season - I have not seen a trail report showing all 3 lifts open yet. Given the low early season crowds before Xmas, Thunderdraft has probably been adequate.
SeaRide
December 20, 2005
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
tgd
I didn't quote on what you said so relax.

Disregard my previous post as I did the "DCski" search on what's wrong with silver queen lift in the past. I 've read all I need to know what's wrong with the lift.

Thanks anyway.
tgd
December 20, 2005
585 posts
Oops, sorry I didn't mean to seem unrelaxed. It's just the anticipation what could be the best week of Xmas skiing in recent memory has visions of snow whales dancing in my head. The excitement is unbearable. Any of you easternuswx readers out there following the thread regarding possibility of a big storm around New Years eve? Wooo hooo! I cannot wait for this week to end!
JohnL
December 20, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

I think Tline and CVSP may be among the best bets for relatively uncrowded skiing over Christmas week.

Definitely agree. Over any major holiday, those two areas are probably the best in the Mid-Atlantic for avoiding the crowds. With the exception of Laurel Mountain this winter.

But I've found that people who ski the valley tend to have a lower tolerance for crowds. So it's all relative...

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?