TR Whitetail Monday Evening
5 posts
3 users
wojo
December 19, 2005
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
Lots of pushed out snow on the following: Upper Angel, Lower, Limelight, Bold Decision, Home Run. Best were Far Side, Snow Dancer and the Green slope (best of the bunch). Heavy duty snow making going on when we left. Quote from the web page says it all, "The surface condition is a very enjoyable loose granular with machine groomed packed powder. "

Terrain park was in nice shape about 5 good features shaping up. Can't wait to go again!

Lots of fun, no lines the whole night (20+ runs, with time for a snack on a four hour ticket). Can't wait for the next visit
JohnL
December 20, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
I skied Whitetail Sunday from ~10 to 2. No crowds on the HSQ and Expert's Choice lifts. The masses don't hit the slopes en masse until after Xmas, and there was plenty of terrain open to handle those who showed up.

Despite temps that weren't that warm (around 40?), the slopes softened up to mashed potatoes very early in the day. Whitetail's sun exposure definitely warms the slopes up; despite being a Whitetail veteran, I was expecting the day to be a bit colder and the slopes to be a bit firmer. Got a good suntan, though.

Not enough snow and not enough skier traffic to form bumps yet on Exhibition. Four terrain features in the park which require a lot of speed to clear the table top since the ramps are not too high.

Best of all, almost 100 percent open with good cover the weekend before Xmas! The only slope I noticed that was closed was the one blue to skier's right off the High Speed Quad - this trail is normally the last to open. All the other slopes had excellent cover, with the exception of Far Side. I believe Far Side had just opened for the season, it was still plenty skiable, and they'll be blowing mucho snow on it during the upcoming evenings.
wojo
December 20, 2005
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
Quote:

I skied Whitetail Sunday from ~10 to 2. No crowds on the HSQ and Expert's Choice lifts. The masses don't hit the slopes en masse until after Xmas, and there was plenty of terrain open to handle those who showed up.

Despite temps that weren't that warm (around 40?), the slopes softened up to mashed potatoes very early in the day. Whitetail's sun exposure definitely warms the slopes up; despite being a Whitetail veteran, I was expecting the day to be a bit colder and the slopes to be a bit firmer. Got a good suntan, though.

Not enough snow and not enough skier traffic to form bumps yet on Exhibition. Four terrain features in the park which require a lot of speed to clear the table top since the ramps are not too high.

Best of all, almost 100 percent open with good cover the weekend before Xmas! The only slope I noticed that was closed was the one blue to skier's right off the High Speed Quad - this trail is normally the last to open. All the other slopes had excellent cover, with the exception of Far Side. I believe Far Side had just opened for the season, it was still plenty skiable, and they'll be blowing mucho snow on it during the upcoming evenings.

In my opinion, Sunday afternoon is the time to go.
comprex
December 20, 2005
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Quote:

All the other slopes had excellent cover, with the exception of Far Side. I believe Far Side had just opened for the season, it was still plenty skiable, and they'll be blowing mucho snow on it during the upcoming evenings.

dcdre and I were back there cutting the weeds on old school 200cm+ gear, in case you were wondering who those unweighting bozos were. At least one of us would have looked like a bright red blob with orange on top . . .

Any idea who that guy on the yellow Stockli GS skis was?
JohnL
December 20, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

dcdre and I were back there cutting the weeds on old school 200cm+ gear, in case you were wondering who those unweighting bozos were. At least one of us would have looked like a bright red blob with orange on top . . .

I was pretty out of it on Sunday after trucking 30-40 wheelbarrows full of wet dirt to my backyard on Saturday. Home improvement project gone bad ... Wasn't paying much attention to anything.

Quote:

Any idea who that guy on the yellow Stockli GS skis was?

There were two skiers who really stood out among the pack (around noon on Sunday.) One is Dale Ramsey (had some sort of yellow race skis and was skiing with some Whitetail people.) I know Dale from several trips out West. He's now an instructor at Snowshoe. The other guy used to be (still is?) some sort of race club coach. I've talked to him on the lift in the past and I see him pretty much every time I go to Whitetail. IIRC, he was wearing bright red pants and some sort of white European logo jacket (Lichtenstein?)

Both skiers get amazing amounts of angulation and edge angle on their short radius turns. They're fun to watch.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.