Tales from the slopes: the early season
7 posts
5 users
queenoftheslopes
December 19, 2005
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
While skiing at 7 springs this weekend, I witnessed, what I thought was a pretty stupid stunt. But as I was advised, I COULD have been a cool trick. So, Tim and I were skiing down Lost Girl Trail to check out the Turtle Neck Glades, they looked a bit dicey so we headed over to the Turtle Claw Glades. After skiing through Turtle Claw we headed around the last curve of Lost Girl. We looked to the left of the slope and we saw several pairs of skis lying next to this giant boulder. Curious we stopped. We looked up and at the top of this wooded hill we saw a couple of guys building a jump. The idea was for one of the guys to slide down the steepish hill, go off the jump, land on the snow covered boulder and then jomp unto the piste. Well, needless to say the jumper hit the boulder in an odd way, essentially landing on his bent arm. Tim and I skiied off to tell the ski patrol. Don't think that ended very well. Poor guy. Probobly out for the season.

Any other stories to share??!
TerpSKI
December 20, 2005
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
Yeah that sounds pretty stupid for this area. It is definitely too crowded at 7-S to pull that off without risk to others.

I just got back from Summit County and am pleased to report that my wife made a great breakthrough in the bumps. At Beaver Creek we skied the Grouse Mountain area which has some fairly steep bump runs. She skied them very smoothly, if not fast, and actually had fun!! I was very proud

We also skied Copper & Vail. The more I ski Copper the more I like it.

Nothing stupid to report yet, but the season is young
POWPOW
December 20, 2005
Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
Quote:

Yeah that sounds pretty stupid for this area.

One mans stupid is another mans normal
TerpSKI
December 20, 2005
167 posts
Unfortunately...You are correct sir
tromano
December 21, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
It would have been a nice trick, He should have stayed centered on his landing and absorbed more he probabbly could have pulled it off...
TerpSKI
December 21, 2005
167 posts
The only trick I can do is a 360 on the snow (no air). That's dangerous enough for a near-40 year old.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 21, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
There was an article in Powder a few years ago offering advice to aspiring hot skiers. The advice was contained in the rhetorical question; "When is the last time you heard of a 40 year old fat guy taking a blind 40 foot cliff jump just because his best buddy bet him a beer that he wouldn't do it?" It said that if you want to live a long, happy, injury free life get fat, out of shape, and married before thinking about doing anything radical on skis. It was all tongue in cheek of course but an entertaining way to present some nuggets of truth.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.