Local Shops
16 posts
12 users
3k+ views
RiverHill
December 19, 2005
Member since 01/16/2005 🔗
28 posts
I have been poking my head in and out of local ski shops in MD and VA as I have been traveling around for business. I am trying to get a feel of the different shops as I need to purchase equipment for myself and kids. I really felt comfortable at Pro Fit in Leesburg. Have any of you had boots fitted there and if so were you happy? If so who did you use?

Most of the shops I stopped by had very nice personnel which is a good thing, but I did not get the feeling I was going to be fitted with the correct stuff. Now I never tried on anything as I would not want to waste there time, but now I am ready to get serious. My son wants snowboard eqiupment and my daughter wants skis, so I will be spending a great deal in the next few weeks.
Taylormatt
December 20, 2005
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
From what I understand, Pro Fit is the best boot fitter, hands down on the East Coast.
Bill
December 20, 2005
Member since 01/5/2005 🔗
42 posts
PRO-Fit is excellent, and I have also had good results from Alpine in Sterling. Bought a new pair of boots there last year and was very pleased with the fitting.

Cheers,
gatkinso
December 20, 2005
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
Ski Haus in Annapolis is very good, if you know who to ask for.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
TerpSKI
December 20, 2005
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
Quote:

From what I understand, Pro Fit is the best boot fitter, hands down on the East Coast.

Really? I heard they were good but the best on the east coast is pretty high praise. Who specifically at Pro Fit is recommended?

Ski Center in DC is good (Brian E & Brian B) they take a lot of time with you and they make pretty decent foot beds.

I wouldn't go to a shop for boots without knowing who specifically will be doing the work.
comprex
December 20, 2005
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

Right, at ski Haus, whom DO we ask for?
JohnL
December 20, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

Really? I heard they were good but the best on the east coast is pretty high praise. Who specifically at Pro Fit is recommended?

IIRC, Derek is the fitter at Pro Fit who is typically listed in the Ski Mag best fitter ratings. Ski Center (Brian Eardley) also regularly shows up in those reviews. Personally, I don't think there really is a "best" boot fitter; just use one of the "upper tier" boot fitters (with certifications, numerous recommendations, etc.)

I get my boots fitted at Ski Center in DC (Brian B.)
Taylormatt
December 20, 2005
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
I've been told through the race circuit, that many racers, including ex olympians such as Diane Raffe use them even over Green Mountain in VT (who is also supposed to be very good).

If you talk to people who have had serious boot work/orthotics done, many, if not most will tell you Pro Fit in VA.

This is just what I keep hearing, I have no personal experience with them. So, yeah, they have the label as best among the East Coast from those who really know and those I trust about equipment.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 20, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I've been using Ski Center for more than 20 years and wouldn't dream of going to anybody else for boot fitting or orthotics. Both Brians as well as Boyd McHugh have worked on me and all 3 of them were there when I first went. Longevity counts too. Not only are those guys very good bootfitters but the shop has made them happy there and as a result they and the shop have built tremendous customer loyalty. I know lots of skiers who have been going there as long or longer than me. Nothing against anybody else, but I wouldn't dream of going elsewhere. I would recommend that when you find a bootfitter you like try to build a long term relationship. (And BTW, I live in VA.)

If it makes any difference I am also an instructor; Level 2 alpine and Level 2 nordic downhill.
Coach13
December 21, 2005
Member since 12/16/2003 🔗
56 posts
Quote:

IIRC, Derek is the fitter at Pro Fit who is typically listed in the Ski Mag best fitter ratings.

Derek is no longer at ProFit. He actually teaches at a college in Steamboat and has been there for 2 seasons now. He was very good, but not as good, IMO, as Brian Deely who happens also to be the shop owner. Jeff also does a good job there as well.

ProFit does a great job in all phases of ski equipment and I deal with them often. They do have quite a bootfitting following and people travel from all over the place to get there. That said, Ski Center has a great reputation as well. I usually recommend that skiers go to Ski Center or ProFit, which ever is closer. I live about 6 miles from ProFit, so it's an easy choice for me.

BTW, a little known fact is that ProFit's owner (Brian Deely) and Ski Center's 2 Brians, actually worked together in a shop in the distant past. Maybe it's not by chance, that they are known as being the 3 best bootfitters in the DC area.
JohnL
December 21, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Some very good information on this thread.
Coach13
January 7, 2006
Member since 12/16/2003 🔗
56 posts
Quote:

I've been told through the race circuit, that many racers, including ex olympians such as Diane Raffe

Diane Roffe was just at Pro Fit the other night getting bootwork done on her new plug Lange 150's. Pro Fit must be doing something right.
RiverHill
January 9, 2006
Member since 01/16/2005 🔗
28 posts
I visited many shops in my search for equipment and I had fantastic service at Pro Fit. Brian spent a great deal of time with me trying on different boots and making sure I had the correct fit. I would give Pro Fit two thumbs up for their service.
TLaHaye
January 9, 2006
Member since 02/9/2005 🔗
136 posts
I can't speak for the NOVA/MD shops, but we've certainly been pleased by the bootfitting and service at Freestyle, both in Charlottesville (Zander) and at Wintergreen (Bob).

FWIW, Freestyle has the Wintergreen repair shop now, and I've been really impressed with the on-mountain tuning and repair services. I understand they stocked the shop with all new tuning equipment, and the ceramic wheel edge finisher is pretty sweet.
tjburke
January 10, 2006
Member since 03/19/2005 🔗
8 posts
Well I have been in the area for 11 years, moved here from New England and I can tell you that each shop has their people. For sure there are great people at Pro Fit, and at Ski Center, but living in Arlington, I find that Pro Fit is a little far, and Ski Center a little tough to get to being in the city and all. I have been going to Ski Chalet, and I have found that there are some incredibly knowledgeable folks there, even after the whole change. Some of the best fitters have been there for years and although they may have changed locations, they are still around. Ryan Sasse, who used to be at Arlington, and then Tysons, is now the manager at the Gaithersburg store and he is one of the best around for fine tuning, and fixing boots for real problem feet.
In Arlington they have the manager there, Jason, who is great, and really gets to know your ability and your foot before fitting you. They also have some new faces at the Arlington store that seem to be pretty good. I shop at the Arlington store, and have been very happy.
All the stores have great full service shops, and have been very accomodating about getting my equipment back to me in a hurry.
The only downside to the store in Arlington is that it is old and seems a bit crowded, but then again many of the shops I used to go to in New England were the same.

I will continue to go there until the service goes away.
Aaron
January 10, 2006
Member since 01/12/2005 🔗
54 posts
Me and my freinds have had great experiences at Willi's in fairfax. Luke is very knowledgable, but all the staff will spend tons of personal time getting you fitted right. Also, freestyle at wintergreen was mentioned earlier, and I thought I'd just thow in that the on mountain repair shop (haven't really used they're retail shop) is awesome. Deacon and Seth really know what they're doing for tunes, and when you're there most weekends like me their $35 season wax pass is one of the best values out there.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.