Where to go??????
6 posts
4 users
tomimcmillar
December 19, 2005
Member since 11/21/2004 🔗
129 posts
OK Kids,

I have a new pair of mid fat tele skis on the way. They should be ready for the snow by the wknd.

So, here's my quandry....
Where to go?

I'd like to wring out the new sticks at a mountain with a bit more terrain than Roundtop or Whitetail. I'm thinking a day trip to either Timberline or Seven Springs next Saturday. I've never skied at either, and I'm looking for the full range of terrain; steeps, bumps, trees, steep bumps, steep trees, even some fast hardpack to see how well the new skis hold an edge.

So, any thoughts on which area would be the better choice? Crowds are a slight concern due to it being a holiday wknd, but I really want to be able to put these sticks through the paces.

thanks,
Tom
telemarketer
December 19, 2005
Member since 11/22/2005 🔗
10 posts
Hey Tom,
Amanda and I will probably be up at TLine next Saturday as well. Amanda's not a bump or tree skier, but it'd be great to link up for a few runs of you're up there. Drop me a line if you think you'll be there. I'm hoping they'll be some decent bumps, and there shoud even be some tree skiing oportunities judging by the shape White Grass is in right now.

later,
eric
jimmy
December 19, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Tomi, i don't know u well enough to tell you "where to go" , but i will tell u where i've been. Spent yesterday at 7 Springs and the glades were sweet turning packed powder, nice cover. Good bump run on Stowe. Didn't spend much time on the front but we spent half the day in the trees at Alpine Meadows and the ones to skiers left of Yodler. Haven't been to Tline since 12/10, maybe someone who was there this weekend can give you some feedback on that. If you're looking for some company, sounds like you got a solid offer at Tline . I'd also bet that as Sat is Christmas Eve, crowds won't be too bad at either.
tomimcmillar
December 19, 2005
129 posts
Eric,

If I head to Tline, I'll let you know. But man, IF I make that drive, for the 5th wknd in row, it'll be awfully hard to not ski at WG....and I'm really gonna want to put the new skis through their paces. I've got your email now from Marty, I'll confirm if I'm heading to the Valley for sure. So, I think 7 Springs might get the nod due to it being an hour closer and pretty much completely open. I just hope the Holiday doesn't inspire a big crowd, not too excited to stand around in a lift line right now. Guess it's time to get new headphones.....

T
POWPOW
December 19, 2005
Member since 05/10/2005 🔗
124 posts
Tom i skiied with some guys at wintergreen sat that know you from cville, What kind of boards did you get? I am getting a new pair of scottybob headrushes today(tracking says they are on the truck so iv been staring down every fed ex truck that comes by my office door). Your TR's are great from ttips by the way. will have to get together sometime in CV for a bc session.
tomimcmillar
December 27, 2005
129 posts
Quote:

Tom i skiied with some guys at wintergreen sat that know you from cville, What kind of boards did you get? I am getting a new pair of scottybob headrushes today(tracking says they are on the truck so iv been staring down every fed ex truck that comes by my office door). Your TR's are great from ttips by the way. will have to get together sometime in CV for a bc session.

powpow,

Picked up a pair of Movement Freeheels, mounted them Thursday eve. Had a Christmas party on Friday, which became a late night, so I overslept a bit on Saturday and went to Whitetail instead of doing a bunch of highway miles. Conditions at WT were decent until about lunchtime or so, when the sun overcooked things as usual and the snow got quite heavy and wet. But, up until then, it was a blast. The new skis like pretty much any turn size and just blast through those cruddy piles of mashed potatoes and hold a realy nice edge on the scraped off portions. The 'bumps' that WT had noted on the snow report for Exibition weren't too bumpy, more like lumpy porpoise backs. Still enough there to judge the quickness of the new sticks, and they rocked out....as long as I had the legs and lungs to keep up. New ski enthusiasm got the best of me, my stiff legs have just begun to lossen up after two days of gimpyness. Drop a shout to those cville boys when you bump into them again, I'm figuring to get back to WV after the holidaze stretch.

T

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.