Best Views in CV?
6 posts
4 users
DWW
December 16, 2005
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
144 posts
Visiting CV for the first time (during winter) January 6-8th after a week at Snowshoe. My wife and I plan to either downhill ski, cross country or snowshoe in CV that Saturday. We are more interested in winding down a bit after the Shoe before we head home, not hard core adventure. Where would be the best place to hang out and take in the magnificance of CV for the day, get some exercise, not fight crowds, and get a great view and feel of the area? We are looking into Timberline, Canaan, Blackwater, Whitegrass, Dolly Sods, etc. Will probably be staying at the Fiddler's Roost. Thanks!
tgd
December 16, 2005
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
The quintessential Valley Vibe thrives at Whitegrass.
fishnski
December 16, 2005
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
A trip to Blackwater falls near Davis is a MUST during winter.You can X-Country there also.When driving back from davis,just before you drop down from Canaan hts there is a road that shoots off to the left that you can find awesome views of the valley with Timberline & Canaan Vly slopes! As you drive down from Canaan Hts you will periodically see beautiful shots of Wiess Knob & the Canaan vly ski area.....A piece of nordic paradise south of the Mason Dixon line....PS if you want views of the West Va Alps, Just head south thru the cut in the rocks south of the valley & watch the splender unfold.This is where you will get a glancing side shot of Mount porte Crayon...the possible new ski area to be named "ALMOST HEAVEN" ...Enjoy
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
December 19, 2005
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
what wva alps? is that a real place or just your slang for mpc? i'll be up there feb 3/4 weekend, would be nice to know where i'm at.

also, fishnski - you're in wilmington? i'm here in durham, whats your driving route?
fishnski
December 20, 2005
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
West Va Alps....1st of all lets break down the word Alpine...All pine which = Alps...aka Red spruce & canaan Balam firs in west Va. Wherever the mountains are high enough & snowy enough in WV to alow these wild spruce & firs to grow is where i refer to them as the WV Alps!..+ like i said, leaving the cut in the rocks heading south from the valley Where the next valley is much lower than "The highest valley east of the Rockies" & the boulders much bigger...You get the Alps..not the french or Swiss but the West Va Alps. Anyway from Durham you will go thru Lynchburg & up 29 to 6 to 64 west where i will be on after coming up I90 & thru Richmond..64 to 81 north to 33 west(at Harrisonburg) to 32 north at Harman. As you head up 32 to Canaan glance to your right occasionaly & you might get a good shot of MPC's snowbowl,Although you will be looking thru trees....Have a Goodin!
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
December 20, 2005
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
so, i won't go looking for the 'w.v. alpine highway' i've got a kid with one broken foot boone or i'd be looking to go up next week for a couple of days. i'll save the directions.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.