Best M/A showboat trails
14 posts
9 users
2k+ views
jimmy
December 16, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
First, i'm not some hot skier that brings ooows + aaaahs from observers but i do like to be seen . I'll nominate that natural snow area the bottom steep on North Face under the NF lift. Nice drop in, usually small soft bumps, turn left to check speed, double fall line, do your stuff, catch the hit by the pole and pop back onto north face .
JohnL
December 16, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

Best M/A showboat trails

Any trail you're on Jimmy.
jb714
December 16, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
Any trail that BoarderBabe is on - does anyone else remember her?
JohnL
December 16, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
I'll toss out some choices:

Exhibition at Whitetail - it's always a human rodeo on that slope, so chairlift riders are generally checking out the action on the slopes. Ski a very fast line in the bumps while catching some big air without stopping, and you'll get noticed. Or ride a snowboard (that your parents bought and pay to have tuned) on the thinly covered, rocky section right under the chair, looking for some air off the waterbars across the slope.

The rock on the liftine at Wisp's North Camp looks like it will be a favorite.

Limelight at Whitetail. Before the crowds get there, hit some Super G turns at Mach 11. Once the crowds arrive, power snowplow straight down the hill oblivious to anyone in front of you.

Wipe out on Upper Ramrod at Ski Roundtop, lose your skis, slide into the netting, falling over the edge up to your shoulders, getting caught between the netting and the pile of snow on the trail, and you'll be seen. (Best wipe-out I've ever witnessed.)

Upper Silver Streak at Timberline and Lower Route 66 at Blue Knob. Both are narrow trails, with the lifts directly above. Ski real fast using only a fraction of the trail's width.

Get big air on the last hit at Whitetail's terrain park, right above the crowds waiting for the lift.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 16, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Quote:

Any trail that BoarderBabe is on - does anyone else remember her?

I'd rather watch her ride the lift.
jimmy
December 16, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Quote:

Quote:

Best M/A showboat trails

Any trail you're on Jimmy.

HA, you've never seen me on goosebumps, look less like a showboat, more like the edmund fitzgerald.
JCHobbes
December 16, 2005
Member since 09/12/2005 🔗
94 posts
Generally any trail that runs under the lifts is a good bet.

Not only are they generally a bit harder, but they're right under the lift, and everyone sees you.

Of course, everyone seeing you isn't always a good thing. Baracuda is a diamond right underneath the quad at Hidden Valley. Last year, on this one day, there was one of the BIG orange "SLOW" signs right in the middle of the trail.

Every time I went down it, I would really fly straight down towards it the last ten yards, and then turn right before I would hit it.

Well, karma caught up with me. I caught a bit of an edge, and slammed right into the sign, even managing to get myself tangled up in it before falling and losing everything.

I just sort of laid there for a few seconds, and listened to the laughter before getting up, and skiing down to my mom's car and changing into my spare jacket.

Why did I change into my spare jacket?

Not because my normal one was soaked.

I figured anyone looking for the genius who crashed into the SLOW sign would be looking for someone in an orange jacket, luckily, my spare is blue. I just sort of went incognito for the rest of the day.
Mack
December 16, 2005
Member since 12/19/2004 🔗
34 posts
Choker and Widowmaker at Snowshoe. Especially Choker because it's almost always icy and moguled, so you can make the lift riders be like "wow he is good at that ice."
Roger Z
December 17, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
You can't have this discussion without giving props to the liftline under the single chair at Mad River Glen. The true proving grounds of every skier, to which all other showboating trails must pay homage.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 17, 2005
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Yeah. If you can impress people there you are good. By the way what does M/A stand for, I've been trying to figure it out since the first post.

One of the things I enjoy about the backcountry is that there is no lift line audience. This is probably a good thing since backcountry snow can be much better and much worse than anything at a ski area.
JohnL
December 17, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
I'm guessing M/A stands for Mid-Atlantic and not Mergers and Acquisitions. Might also stand for Moonshine/Ale.

Speaking of Mad River Glen, anyone gonna be up there around the New Year's weekend?

Quote:

One of the things I enjoy about the backcountry is that there is no lift line audience.

Doesn't even have to be backcountry. I'll take a remote spot inbounds over a liftline anyday. Tough to find a remote spot in the Mid-Atlantic, though.
Crush
December 17, 2005
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
Quote:

You can't have this discussion without giving props to the liftline under the single chair at Mad River Glen.....

that's why I don't show off .... it's too much work and I am a lazy skier!
BushwackerinPA
December 25, 2005
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Hidden valley - IMO its Road Runner, I normally GS arc this slope no matter the conditions

Blue Knob - extrovert it faces the chair lift pretty much and is the steepest sustained pitch in the Mid- alantic

7Springs - for me it is Stowe slope, everyone on the Quad, 6 pack and lodge can see ya. Plus the bumps are generally harder to ski than Goosebumps.

All these do not compared to madness that was and hopefully still might be Lower Wildcat. Sl-11s plus a strong pilot = Carved turn on something that can compared to a freefall.

FYI I am very strong pilot
JCHobbes
December 25, 2005
Member since 09/12/2005 🔗
94 posts
Bushwacker, I really gotta agree with you on RoadRunner. But it seems like last year, they chose to keep it closed and use it as an access trail for snowmobiles alot more than they had it open.

But looking at the snow report, it appears they have it open today. I'll have to hit that when I'm up there later in the week.

Lower Wildcat definately is a big run for showing off. It's also good for a bit of comedy. Just riding the lift up from there, you get to watch everyone making an attempt. Including the highly skilled people making beautiful turns, and the people who shouldn't be off the bunny slope sliding slowly down on their butt.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.