Recommendations for what brand of snowshoes to get
5 posts
4 users
2k+ views
yellowdog
December 15, 2005
Member since 10/18/2004 🔗
45 posts
I want to try snowshoing this winter. Any tips on what are the better/best brands of snowshoes? Also does Whitegrass at CV let you demo different brands or do they just rent?

TIA to those who respond...
comprex
December 15, 2005
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
tgd
December 15, 2005
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
I own a pair of Tubbs Adventures. We've used them in the Valley and even took them out to Telluride a few years back. They've been great for basic recreational hikes in up to 12" deep powder. IMHO they offer great bang for the buck for casual day hiking. You may need a model with more flotation if you are planning on carrying a heavy pack or venturing out into really deep powder. Also, I recommend getting a pair of WARM boots - rated 25-40 below - plus gaitors.
yellowdog
December 16, 2005
Member since 10/18/2004 🔗
45 posts
Thanks guys! I'll check your suggestions out asap. If the weather gods are on my side, I plan to be at WG on 12/26 or 27 trying it out. If you happen to be there and see someone tripping all over themselves--try not to laugh too loudly--its probably me.
wvrocks
December 19, 2005
Member since 11/9/2004 🔗
262 posts
Whitegrass has several different models. They will probably let you demo a set. I personally have a pair of MSR denali's. I really like them a lot. They are very easy to put on and take off. They stay put once you are in them and they have good traction on side hills. If you are heavy you can get add on tails to increase floatation. The shoe itself is made of molded plastic and is very tough. Check them out when you go to WG.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?