Yep, LOTS of BC opportunity in and around Canaan, a whole lot.
AT gear w/ skins? it's doable, but light & quick waxless are better suited 75% of the time due to the rolling terrain and shorter downhill runs you take. The other 25%, when conditions have really turned on and if you know how to link it together into bigger portions of sustained up and down, then skins are the way to go, IMO. Biggest hurdle, if you're new to the game, is dealing with highly variable conditions that can change on you from one turn to the next. Eventually, reading the snow hopefully becomes instinctual and you figure out which aspects and pitches are holding the goods. They don't groom the woods and that crust Denis wrote about was pretty damn gnarly.....sometimes supportive, often times breakable. Hopefully it'll settle out a bit this week, or at least get enough coverage on top to take it out of the equation. Otherwise, it's still just skiing.
And you get to see stuff like this, the highlight of my day Saturday. We found these fresh tracks behind CV, on our way back to the Nat'l Nordic (picture by my buddy Marty):
It's not quite sleepy winter time yet.....
We also found what we figured were bobcat tracks up on BaldKnob, a cat print about 3 to 3.5" in diameter, looked about a day old. Also spooked a doe over in the Sawmill Glades and she showed us how to run up the side of the mountain, fast and graceful. And oh yeah, there was also a flock of turkeys that flushed and flew out from the trees on skier's left of GravityDrop while we were over there. Not sure if Denis spotted them on his way down, they flew out between him & us on the hill.
Nice to finally meet you face to face Denis, see ya on Saturday again?