No guns on Cupp?!
8 posts
6 users
1k+ views
ndskier
December 12, 2005
Member since 12/11/2003 🔗
56 posts
Well I'm headin to snowshoe next monday and tuesday but as of now they have not reported any snowmaking on Cupp. With 2 straight weeks of snowmaking temps is anyone else surprised by this? The signature trail in the region deserves a little more respect i think Intrawest. Also hitting up timberline this Sat/Sun, lookin pretty good there, can't wait it's my first time there in probably 6 years. Where is the best place to stay in the valley if you are on a budget (college student $$$). Thanks
snowcone
December 12, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
We're heading up on Thursday and if there is no Cupp I will have a couple of very unhappy campers on my hands. But you are right, they should be blowing on Cupp and looking at the trail list it appears that none of the major blacks like Cupp, Widowmaker, Mountaineer etc are being prepped. I get the impression the new management is interested more in the lowest common denominators than regulars. If SS doesn't get going making snow on the good stuff pretty soon, we probably go elsewhere for local skiing. It just isn't worth the hellish drive to SS for pachinko greens and a couple of short icy blues.

In past years, no matter what the weather, Cupp has always been open no later the Dec 15th. Do ya think they are going to make that date this year?
rmcva
December 12, 2005
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
Last Saturday from the turnout looking over to Cupp/Shay, Cupp looked pretty good with the natural snow. However Shay looked thin and had grass showing. Neither had snowmaking.
SpringsRegular
December 12, 2005
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
153 posts
(/Mini Hijack)This is where the Springs excels. The fact that they have fixed guns on EVERY slope and the compressor power to push them gives them the ability to blow snow everywhere at once. I believe that Snowshoe has to move the guns from slope to slope.(/end hijack)
Reisen
December 12, 2005
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts
See my TR from last weekend. Snowshoe seems to not care at all about their expert terrain, and I was really ticked they didn't at least open Widowmaker for the demo day, nor Knotbumper. I bet they concentrate their snowmaking on Silver Creek, and Western Territory gets the shaft until Christmas.
ndskier
December 12, 2005
Member since 12/11/2003 🔗
56 posts
I would agree that they seem to be concentrating on silver creek...but i have been there for years during this time and it seems like Cupp has been open. They are taking a huge gamble not taking advantage of the weather we have had, as Cupp usually takes a good 3-4 days of round the clock snowmaking to have enough base for snowshoe's likings. Could definitely come back to bite them if we get a warm up. I'm just praying they'll get their stuff together by monday.
Scott - DCSki Editor
December 12, 2005
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,251 posts
According to today's (Monday's) "Snow News is Good News," snowmaking is scheduled to begin tonight in the Western Territory.

8-10 trails at Silver Creek are scheduled to open this weekend. Snowshoe may have been concentrating on the Silver Creek area because it is the site of all the new terrain parks this year. But it looks like snowmaking is finally moving its way over to Cupp.
snowcone
December 13, 2005
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
According to the SS snow report, guns are blowing on Cupp and Widowmaker ... ... nothing yet for Silver Creek blacks. Anyone hear anything on the status of those runs?
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.