Da Whales
11 posts
9 users
1k+ views
JohnL
December 11, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Da Whales at Timberline really suck but Da Whales at Wisp really rock.

tromano
December 11, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
How are the new trails at wisp?
gatkinso
December 12, 2005
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
They are a little too geared to beginners. Not very challenging at all.

However it does disperse the crowds.
Roger Z
December 12, 2005
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
That's probably not a bad thing, seeing as how advanced skiers pretty much have the run of the other "back side" of the mountain (Main Street). Wonder how the next phase of the expansion will play out...

Am thinking of going up to Wisp for some midweek skiing early next week, possibly with my girlfriend. Since she's never skied in her life, having a lot of beginner/novice terrain would work out very nicely.
kennedy
December 12, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
If she has never skied go straight to North Camp. Plenty of selection for novices. The grade is consistant and plenty wide, she'll prolly do better there than on other runs to the front. As for you, you'll prolly be bored stiff but whatever.
jimmy
December 12, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Baaad johnL, starting this debate so early in the season, no-one wants to play?? ok i'll play, saw dem whales at wisp when i was over on the face. I must say dem whales are bigguns but they look like they're all lined up, i don't know, like they're waiting in line at the blubber burger factory, that's what i thought of dem whales.

Da Whales are still at Timberline.

PS- Tim, nice hijack .
JohnL
December 12, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

Baaad johnL, starting this debate so early in the season, no-one wants to play??

I think Timberline opening all these trails so early has got people around here in too good a mood. Won't last past the first rain storm we get.
bawalker
December 13, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Roger - Keep me posted on what days you are heading up there. I'm needing a midweek break after getting hired to do IT work down in Potomac, MD. Heck DRIVING there was half of the nightmare that made me ready for a vacation. lol

Quote:

That's probably not a bad thing, seeing as how advanced skiers pretty much have the run of the other "back side" of the mountain (Main Street). Wonder how the next phase of the expansion will play out...

Am thinking of going up to Wisp for some midweek skiing early next week, possibly with my girlfriend. Since she's never skied in her life, having a lot of beginner/novice terrain would work out very nicely.

TerpSKI
December 13, 2005
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
Wisp has those ridiculous things too? It really makes expert skiing in the mid atlantic a joke. If it is a sub par snow year you can't ski the trees, the crowds make it dangerous to carve at high speed and the bump runs have these stupid goiters on them.

Has anyone emailed Timberline and requested that they groom these runs and let the bumps develop?
Chad
December 13, 2005
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
Quote:

It really makes expert skiing in the mid atlantic a joke.

not hard to do that. actually i like the whales.
TerpSKI
December 13, 2005
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
Why? What does it add? IMO it makes an otherwise decent bump run nearly unskiable. We have very little vertical as it is around here and these mounds just eat up a lot of terrain. I have never seen these things anywhere else.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?