Timberline
9 posts
6 users
1k+ views
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 11, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,991 posts
I'm sitting in the Timberline Lodge and life is good. It's snowing, as it has been all day long and promises to continue through tomorrow morning. Timberline has OTW open, and I'm on a flex day tomorrow. What could be better?

I'm sending a full report to Scott with pictures....
tgd
December 11, 2005
Member since 07/15/2004 🔗
585 posts
You dog! Have some nice turns tomorrow.
Tom
tromano
December 11, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Save teh WHaleS!@#@!!

I can't believe I cam back to DC. Madeline dragged me back becuase she has to work tomorrow. I took the whole week off. Damn it!
jimmy
December 11, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
John, Thanks for the pictures and your report. Spent Thursday, friday & saturday there doing some research . Pretty strong opening i thought. Snwoed all day Friday, caught a couple runs on OTW early Sat still had plenty of nice soft snow, only saw some grass poking thru in a few places. Weird thing it was 11:00 am Saturday that i got to ride in the chair with someone, i wasn't dodging company there just wasn't a line; from what i saw today at wisp, everyone in the midatlatic was there.

Talk on the mountain is that the place is gonna rock next weekend, expect everything but twister will be open. They doubled their air capacity this year and they've really made some snow.

You all that've been wondering, get your christmas shopping done, call in sick Friday and get on down to Tline cause it's gonna be special .
tromano
December 12, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
This is looking like the best december in a few years. It sounds like T-Lines improved capacity was a good move. Snow making > Lift capacity. I can't wait to get back to T-line and hit those glades again. How did the removal of those trees under the lift affect that trail? I think that was silver streak right? --Tim
jimmy
December 12, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Tromano, The trees are still there, at least for this season. Seems they ran out of time, gives us one more season to save the trees . Didn't get a good look at the snow on upper SS, but thunderdraft under the orange lift looked skiable but it's hard to tell because of all the natural snow. I'd expect streak is better b/c of the blower snow that gets in there. I explored the edges of the glades betw lower WL and Sally, they'll be good this weekend.
bawalker
December 12, 2005
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
ARGH! If only I had a reliable vehicle to get me across the allegheny's to keep me from relying on someone elses vehicle or schedule. *sigh* My Explorer that doesn't get me past Moorefield safely is not a wise choice to take to Timberline, esp with the 4WD broken.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 12, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,991 posts
Just got back. We skied the morning and then bolted out at noon in front of the impending clipper. Roads were fine except 93 and 32, which had some snow here and there.

Today the place felt like the YELLOWSTONE CLUB! Private powder!!!! I did not get to OTW until ten and yet there were still MANY MANY untracked lines. AMAZING! I only saw about 5 skiers the whole morning. I'm so glad I switched my flex day to Monday. It's the way to go...As for the other trails, White Lightning was freshly groomed and skied like those Deer Valley ads in Ski Magazine. If anyone can get up there midweek, I highly recommend it. It's worth taking a day off from work to do...

Tim, I did not see any trees removed along Silver Streak--trail looks the same as last year. And those whales are still there on OTW for all the Green Peace types--i.e. the "SAVE THE WHALES" crowd...
yellowdog
December 13, 2005
Member since 10/18/2004 🔗
45 posts
Johnfmh

We were at Timberline on Sunday too. I was really surprised at how empty the slope was. Unfortunately, I couldn't take advantage of it because I had to work on the house. If its so quiet on the weekend, it must be REALLY lonely to ski there now. Oops, I suddenly (cough, cough) don't feel so well. Maybe I'll call in sick for a couple of days...
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.