Gunnar / Giant Steps / Yodeler
10 posts
8 users
1k+ views
hockeydave
December 8, 2005
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
Anybody know when 7S plans to open these trails?
nogoodnik
December 8, 2005
Member since 11/7/2005 🔗
49 posts
I was over at 7S yesterday and a safety patrol guy told me most of the north face should be open by the weekend and possibly as early as Friday.
SpringsRegular
December 8, 2005
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
153 posts
I would say that is a good prediction. I hope it is Saturday just so I can get first tracks on Yodeler before TaylorMatt.
Taylormatt
December 8, 2005
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
I see how you are...hopefully it opens tomorrow. According to Scott Bender at last night's staff party, it will be by Saturday, hopefully sooner with this potential snow.

At least I got 1st tracks on goosebumps in yesterday's fluff before you How was work yesterday?
Taylormatt
December 9, 2005
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
It's Friday morning...I won't say a word
JR
December 9, 2005
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
Went up this morning until about 3 or so. Windy enough to create some pretty good powder stashes all over the place. Front side blues and Avalanche probably had the best powder. Seemed like the wind would cover your tracks up before you could get up to see them from the chair lift yet it didn't really get down to hard pack any. Goosebumps was nice and powdery but very cut up. Kinda the pre-mogul stage I guess.

North Face side was touchy (but considering it was 100% open and its Dec 8th, touchy still means pretty dang good everywhere ) The wind would leave hard pack in certain places, that untouched powder feeling in others, and choppy powder in the rest. Its fun spending the long ride up those lifts looking for the best stashes. All in all, most of the wind swept hard pack was at the top flat section after the lift. The rest was typically powder/packed powder.

Gunnar was incredible pretty much top to bottom. Especially the very far skiers left of the lower portion. Nice powder moguls were starting to form.

Yodeler, the new black was open. It really doesn't seem like a black to me but I do like the design. It gets away from that "wide and straight down the mountain" feel that most of the rest of the trails there have. It was probably the most windswept of the trails over there today though. Pretty hard in the trail. The neat part about it is that it gives you easy access to the Turtle neck glades which were nice and deep although not too steep. You could take Yodeler to Turtle Neck to the lower portion of Gunnar for a pretty sweet line. (which brings up the fact that 7 springs doesn't break every trail into halves or thirds to pad numbers like a lot of places)

The run under Gunnar Lift was pretty good too. It had 3 tracks through it when I made it there and it was pretty nice. The crossing trails make for nice little jumps too.

All in all it was a great day for the first tracks of the season, strike that, it was a great day. I'm thinking about hitting up Wisp on Sunday for the $7 thing. Hope everyone has a great weekend of skiing.
hockeydave
December 11, 2005
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
Quote:

Yodeler, the new black was open. It really doesn't seem like a black to me but I do like the design. It gets away from that "wide and straight down the mountain" feel that most of the rest of the trails there have.

I couldn't agree more with you, JR. I skied Yodeler once yesterday. It definitely would be considered a Blue except its only 20 yards wide in most areas. However, it already is my favorite slope @ 7S due to its narrow cut thru the trees (reminds me of Lower Broadway at LM, except steeper).

As for the conditions @ 7S Saturday, I have never seen the slopes in any better condition this early in the season. The 7 inches of powder received Thursday nite yielded the best Decemeber skiing I have ever encountered there.
queenoftheslopes
December 11, 2005
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
I think Yodler is my favorite slope at 7 springs now too! I made quite a few runs down it. Although it did get pretty icy by 2 pm today.

I also enjoyed the Gunnar lift slope, although the slope seemed a bit dicey in parts. I had fun with it until later in the day when I was skiing it, and thought I would get my speed up on the lower part before it flattened out slowed me down with the softer deeper powdery snow, well I ended up slowing down (actually coming to a complete stop and getting ejected from my skis and landing face first in the snow).

Overall, I think it was a great weekend. The snow was amazing on almost every slope!
jb714
December 12, 2005
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
I skied Yodeler at about 3:30 Sat with my 9-year-old daughter. Although it was scraped-off and icy at that point, her reaction was "It didn't seem very steep for a Black". I guess I've grown spolied by the typical wide-and-straight at 7 Springs, because I didn't find Yodeler to be my cup of tea - but it does provide a great change of pace.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 12, 2005
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Jeff:

I think you should introduce your daughter to da whales of Timberline.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?